PDA

View Full Version : Spring Lament

rpm
04-23-2011, 08:13 PM
After a long snowy winter on the tundra we've had no spring. So far this year we've had all of 6 days of 60 degrees or higher. Last year we had 23. I have yet to ride without tights. I don't remember when I last saw the sun.

Today after the rain stopped I took my CDA out for 50 miles in heavy overcast and 40 some degrees. Fortunately, I chose my route wisely, slogging my way against the wind for the first half, and then hitting the Caribou Coffee at my halfway point. After coffee and with a tailwind, the trip home was a lot better.

How has the spring been in your area? I wish we could split the difference with the triple digit drought in Texas, and we would have a nice spring.

jeo99
04-23-2011, 09:29 PM
Good to hear you've had 6-days of 60! We had our second day of above 60 today. Now that was not just a sunny 60, oh no, we had 30 MPH winds out of the West. They say the wind makes you stronger. I think it just plain hirts and you deal with it. However, I will take the wind, cold and rain and snow rather than the tornados!

:beer:

TMB
04-23-2011, 09:32 PM
As of today I have been outside on my bike 4 times this year (not counting spring break in AZ),

When I left the house this morning at 8:30 it was 3ºC and yes, I was again in winter boots, tights, long sleeved jacket and long fingered gloves.

I'm getting sick of it.

A1CKot
04-23-2011, 09:47 PM
Good to hear you've had 6-days of 60! We had our second day of above 60 today. Now that was not just a sunny 60, oh no, we had 30 MPH winds out of the West. They say the wind makes you stronger. I think it just plain hirts and you deal with it. However, I will take the wind, cold and rain and snow rather than the tornados!

:beer:

About the same for me. High winds are killing me because I have very little choice of routes when leaving base. I've managed to get out a handful of times on my cross bike but the real problem is flooding. The dirt roads that I've been using have some un-crossable low spots that water has claimed. I don't think I would make it in my car let alone a bicycle. Oh well summer will be here soon and the I will continue to see high winds but it will be warm I think...

FlashUNC
04-23-2011, 11:19 PM
Aside from the rain, high winds and thunderstorms, its been alright for our Spring so far. Supposed to be around 80 and sunny tomorrow.

It's a big reason I hope to never move out of the Sun Belt honestly.

rickbb
04-24-2011, 07:05 AM
We're in the same boat on the New England coast. Just a couple of days, so far, that make one want to ride any distance.
Today might be one, though! :banana:

CNY rider
04-24-2011, 07:10 AM
Same thing in upstate NY.
Winter just won't give up.
My longest ride so far this year is about 30 miles.

Within the past week: Tuesday, was off from work, hoped to go riding. Instead took my kids hiking. At 1100 it was 36F with a mix of rain and sleet.

Thursday, commuted by bike. Left the driveway in a light flurry, about 33 F.
Got to work in a full blown snow squall, with snow covered ground.

Today looks encouraging. I can see the sun!

gomango
04-24-2011, 07:22 AM
RPM.

I live in St. Paul and the weather has not been cooperative.

We rode out to Watertown yesterday, and it took me another hour to clean the bike afterwards.

We need some sun and heat here to dry these trails, especially the LRT I was on.

That compressed Class 5 looks just like cement on your bike after a good ride, and I had to give it a good bath.

BTW We passed a parking lot in Eden Prairie that still had three foot high snow piles. Yuck!

Black Dog
04-24-2011, 07:26 AM
Southern Ontario and the same here. Very rarely has it been above 10℃. I have had a few rides over 100km but they always end with me feeling nice and cold. It has been a windy, wet, and cold spring. I am feeling like a Belgian hard man (without the ability to ride or suffer). :confused:

oldpotatoe
04-24-2011, 07:36 AM
After a long snowy winter on the tundra we've had no spring. So far this year we've had all of 6 days of 60 degrees or higher. Last year we had 23. I have yet to ride without tights. I don't remember when I last saw the sun.

Today after the rain stopped I took my CDA out for 50 miles in heavy overcast and 40 some degrees. Fortunately, I chose my route wisely, slogging my way against the wind for the first half, and then hitting the Caribou Coffee at my halfway point. After coffee and with a tailwind, the trip home was a lot better.

How has the spring been in your area? I wish we could split the difference with the triple digit drought in Texas, and we would have a nice spring.

Snowed yesterday in the 'republic'.

thwart
04-24-2011, 07:45 AM
Yeah, it's been difficult for winter to let go. Especially noticeable since we had a warm March last year.

But, you know, riding outdoors even in less than seasonal conditions beats the rollers or trainer... and May will be glorious.

rwsaunders
04-24-2011, 08:53 AM
A couple of teaser days in Pittsburgh this Spring, but mostly wet, colder and windy...fenders have been a great investment so far. I was supposed to ride early yesterday morning, but the rain didn't subside until 8:15 or so. When I did head out the door for the ride, I left a note to Mrs. RW stating "rain delay".

rpm
04-24-2011, 02:44 PM
RPM.

I live in St. Paul and the weather has not been cooperative.

We rode out to Watertown yesterday, and it took me another hour to clean the bike afterwards.

We need some sun and heat here to dry these trails, especially the LRT I was on.

That compressed Class 5 looks just like cement on your bike after a good ride, and I had to give it a good bath.

BTW We passed a parking lot in Eden Prairie that still had three foot high snow piles. Yuck!

Gomango--

Over by the U of M stadium there's a dirty snow mountain that was created when the snow was cleared for the Vikings game in December. I'm betting that thing won't be gone until June.

But today is Easter Sunday and we have 64 degrees and bright sun. Halleluja!

palincss
04-24-2011, 02:53 PM
Yesterday, rain in the early hours, chilly and windy in the 50s when the ride started -- wool, wind vest and tights weather for sure -- getting up to almost 65 by the time the ride ended. Today, sunny and 65 at 9 am, 84 by the time the 100 km ride finished, and 90 on the drive home. That's spring in Metro DC. Reminds me of a wonderful book, The Door Into Summer (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Door_into_Summer).

noflysonme
04-24-2011, 04:16 PM
VANCOUVER, BC-- If Vancouver's cold temperatures continue through next week, the city could be on track to its coldest April on record.

The mean temperature was only 6.9 C[44F] for the first 18 days of the month, whereas normal for the month of April is 9.2 C[48f], said David Jones, meteorologist for Environment Canada.

Of course, the rain will stop you from worrying about the temperature too much.

Terry

KeithS
04-24-2011, 07:55 PM
Got 30 in today it was great, in between church and the family showing up for Easter dinner. Saw a couple of small deposits of snow on north facing along fences. A big pile in a parking lot.

I think we need a twin cities Forum ride.