PDA

View Full Version : creaking frame

Lifecycle
04-23-2011, 08:48 AM
Hey all - looking for some wisedom from experienced riders
I have a 29er Hardtail (XL) frame that makes a creaking niose on every pedal stroke or flex of frame - There is no visible signs of any cracks -
And all parts are tight - should I be concerned of a frame break? - I do not jump this one, but have a few steep downhills on the trail I ride with some Heavy braking at bottom of hills ( very rough downhill)

Never had a frame break on me while riding -
Any input would help here

SpeedyChix
04-23-2011, 08:56 AM
Know you said no sign of cracks but take a REAL close look at the underside of the downtube near the headtube. Husband had one fail here and it was making some sounds that we thought were from the fork. Turns out it was a crack.

Lifecycle
04-23-2011, 09:03 AM
Know you said no sign of cracks but take a REAL close look at the underside of the downtube near the headtube. Husband had one fail here and it was making some sounds that we thought were from the fork. Turns out it was a crack.

Yeah - no visible signs - it's an older 7005 alu. Frame. And creaks down by crank and down tube - will check closer -Thanks for imput

victoryfactory
04-23-2011, 09:20 AM
things to check first:

bottle cages
front derailleur cage and mount
pedals
chain rings
seat post and saddle (sound really travels on alum)
quick release on wheels

grab each part and flex hard

might be an easy fix

after that, bottom bracket

good luck
VF

froze
04-23-2011, 10:59 AM
things to check first:

bottle cages
front derailleur cage and mount
pedals
chain rings
seat post and saddle (sound really travels on alum)
quick release on wheels

grab each part and flex hard

might be an easy fix

after that, bottom bracket

good luck
VF

Plus 1, check this stuff first along with the cleats on your shoes, chainring bolts, and even seat post, most creaks are simple problems, always check the simplest and cheapest possible repair first then work your way up from there, don't just jump into the most expensive problem like the bottom bracket. If after doing all the simplest stuff and creak is still there it could be a creaking crank, try using some plumber Teflon tape on the threads of the crank then replace and see it that cures your problem, also lube the inside spindle threads and the splines on the spindle with grease. If it still creaks you may have to remove the bottom bracket, then since it's out relube the BB before you replace the BB. If your removing the crank anyways, you might as well remove the BB and lube everything as you put it back together. Make sure you get some tech help because some of this stuff requires proper torquing; see: http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-help by clicking your mouse on the desired area of the bike you wish to repair for detailed instructions depending on type of BB/crank you have. Also if you click on the crank area there is a section on creaking noises.

Also certain FSA models were prone to creaking, I can't remember which ones maybe someone here recalls the models.

rice rocket
04-23-2011, 11:02 AM
My bottle cages are creaking. :)

Stupid "aero" frame w/ a noodley downtube!

gemship
04-23-2011, 11:52 AM
I had that happen on a new bike of mine and it turned out the bottom bracket was just a wee loose, it only needed a twist of the wrench to get rid of that creaking sound. The sound would only occur pedaling up hills.

Lifecycle
04-23-2011, 02:18 PM
Plus 1, check this stuff first along with the cleats on your shoes, chainring bolts, and even seat post, most creaks are simple problems, always check the simplest and cheapest possible repair first then work your way up from there, don't just jump into the most expensive problem like the bottom bracket. If after doing all the simplest stuff and creak is still there it could be a creaking crank, try using some plumber Teflon tape on the threads of the crank then replace and see it that cures your problem, also lube the inside spindle threads and the splines on the spindle with grease. If it still creaks you may have to remove the bottom bracket, then since it's out relube the BB before you replace the BB. If your removing the crank anyways, you might as well remove the BB and lube everything as you put it back together. Make sure you get some tech help because some of this stuff requires proper torquing; see: http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-help by clicking your mouse on the desired area of the bike you wish to repair for detailed instructions depending on type of BB/crank you have. Also if you click on the crank area there is a section on creaking noises.

Also certain FSA models were prone to creaking, I can't remember which ones maybe someone here recalls the models.

Thanks - I will check and do some of these fix's
Cheers

froze
04-23-2011, 02:36 PM
My bottle cages are creaking. :)

Stupid "aero" frame w/ a noodley downtube!

I doubt if the cages creak, I've never heard of that, I think your pulling our legs.

I have steel bikes I put grease on my water bottle mount screws to prevent water from sipping in, and to prevent rust, but more to prevent the bolts from seizing, works as well a plumbing tape and less hassle.

I think the problematic FSA was the Gossamer Moto X and the SL-K Lite BB30, also the Platinum Isis bearings would square off after only 6 months; those were the ones I found on a web search.

MRB
04-23-2011, 06:03 PM
Dave Kirk did told us about how a front deraileur clamp can "click" It has to do with the smooth surface inside the band / clamp. If your bike has a clamp for the F.D you might see if this is causing your squeak.

rice rocket
04-23-2011, 06:22 PM
I doubt if the cages creak, I've never heard of that, I think your pulling our legs.

I have steel bikes I put grease on my water bottle mount screws to prevent water from sipping in, and to prevent rust, but more to prevent the bolts from seizing, works as well a plumbing tape and less hassle.

I think the problematic FSA was the Gossamer Moto X and the SL-K Lite BB30, also the Platinum Isis bearings would square off after only 6 months; those were the ones I found on a web search.

I'm not lying. When I'm climbing something steep, I can touch my waterbottle cage and it'll stop. :)

It's the frame flexing under load, and since the bottle cage doesn't see that same load, they rub against each other and squeak. I've just been lazy and haven't tightened them down. If I find a stiff enough bottle cage, I can stiffen my frame! :rolleyes:

froze
04-23-2011, 07:47 PM
I'm not lying. When I'm climbing something steep, I can touch my waterbottle cage and it'll stop. :)

It's the frame flexing under load, and since the bottle cage doesn't see that same load, they rub against each other and squeak. I've just been lazy and haven't tightened them down. If I find a stiff enough bottle cage, I can stiffen my frame! :rolleyes:

All I can say is that sure is weird!! I once rode a real noodly bike called a Vitus with lugged AL frame and the water bottle cage never creaked. Maybe try wrapping the screws with a few turns of teflon tape and see what happens?? And also find a couple of thin nylon washers to place between the frame and the cage.