PDA

View Full Version : Wooo Hooo -- Finally Rode Outside

Keith A
06-08-2005, 02:16 PM
Memorial Day started off great (at 5:45am) by putting in 75 miles with 10 or so of my riding buddies at a tempo plus pace. Weather, wind, traffic, speed and companionship was just right -- one of the best group rides in a long time. The rest of the day was just beautiful -- maybe it was too good.

Then it all started. The 1st day of June brought rain before the sun was even up and it didn't stop until this past Monday around lunch. Although, it didn't rain all day long during this time, it was certainly pouring each morning and the sun didn't even peek out for more than a week. While it is common for much of Florida to get rain in the afternoons during the summer, it almost never rains in the morning.

When the sun finally broke through on Monday, we were so happy to see it that I left work early yesterday and took the family to the beach. And this morning was my first ride outside in more than a week and it felt so good. I was greeted with calm winds and a glassy river to gaze upon as I did intervals on the bridge that goes over the intercostal river. I was even lucky enough to see a couple of dolphins swimming under the bridge and stopped and watched them swim by. It felt so good to be pedaling my CSi outside again.

I thought of all our snowbound forumites this morning and can't imagine not being able to ride outside. I love being outdoors and would certainly have to take up cross-country skiing (or the like) for cross training if I lived in the snowy north.

weisan
06-08-2005, 02:30 PM
Good for you, Keith-pal! I still hope for the day will finally come when I can meet and ride alongside with you. Enjoy the temporary relief from the rain. ;)

weisan

Keith A
06-08-2005, 02:46 PM
weisan -- I do hope the healing is going well and if you are ever in my neck of the woods, I have a bike you can ride.

weisan
06-08-2005, 02:50 PM
You too!

saab2000
06-08-2005, 03:32 PM
Dude, I was just in JAX for an overnight. It was hot. But at least it was humid too!!

I love Florida!!! I wish I could live there!! Seriously. You know I dig it there. Unfortunately, I probably won't get to spend any time there until winter, when I may try to come down for some cycling!

Hang in there!

Today in Appleton, WI it is not as hot or as humid as FL, but not far from it either. It is in the mid to upper 80s with high humidity. Cool. The fat just burns off in this weather.

Keith A
06-08-2005, 04:05 PM
It does indeed get pretty warm (and humid) here in sunny FL -- but living along the coast is so much more comfortable than being inland. The seabreeze kicks up most afternoons and really makes it more comfortable. I can remember when we moved over from Orlando and it was early in June and the transition from Orlando to here was amazing in how much more cooler if felt.

Saab -- please do drop me a line if you are ever down my way.

davep
06-08-2005, 04:10 PM
Its been wet here too. Since last Wednesday I've ridden twice - Thursday morning I got in a 20 mile ride before the rain started, then it rained most if the weekend. Tuesday morning was clear so I go a good ride in, but this morning it was raining again. I don't mind getting wet once I'm out, but when I get up at 5am and its raining I'm going back to bed :crap:

Keith A
06-08-2005, 04:32 PM
[snip]...but when I get up at 5am and its raining I'm going back to bed Exactly! Plus I ride before work and don't really have much time for the bike cleanup required after it has been ridden in the rain.

Keith A
06-08-2005, 10:13 PM
A couple of noteworthy equations that I stumbled across recently...

rain X 7 days + fertilizer + grass too wet to cut = one jungle

one jungle + working late for playing at the beach yesterday + friends coming to dinner tomorrow = mowing grass into the dark

:banana:

Kevin
06-09-2005, 05:41 AM
A couple of noteworthy equations that I stumbled across recently...

rain X 7 days + fertilizer + grass too wet to cut = one jungle

one jungle + working late for playing at the beach yesterday + friends coming to dinner tomorrow = mowing grass into the dark

:banana:

Keith,

I hope you didn't run over your own foot with the mower.

Kevin