PDA

View Full Version : Boston - Montreal - Boston

xjahx
04-23-2011, 01:13 AM
I have a week off in May, and I was thinking of reproducing the Boston - Montreal - Boston brevet. Have any of you completed the ride when it was an official randonnee? If so, any advice?

My thoughts are that I would spend the standard 3 days venturing there, actually make the trip to Montreal as opposed to Huntingdon, QC, enjoy the town for 2 days with the bike, and then have the lady friend pick me up.

I have written to the guys at this site: http://bmb2011permanent.wordpress.com/ to see if I can get their current cue sheet, but any suggestions for alternate routes would be appreciate.

She is ready:
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5098/5592667259_3bac530603_z.jpg

(well, final build in progress)

palincss
04-23-2011, 04:39 PM
She is ready:
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5098/5592667259_3bac530603_z.jpg

Without a lighting system, there is no way that bike is ready for a 1200 km randonnee. You don't ride 1200km in the time allowed without riding at night, and probably all night.

Bruce K
04-23-2011, 04:45 PM
I would PM RABikes2

She had ridden this event and would probably have a lot of insight into lighting systems - and yes you will need several lights on the front and back to do this safely

BK

AngryScientist
04-23-2011, 04:54 PM
sounds like a fun idea. i did a boston to windsor VT ride last year, which was a ton of fun, great roads and scenery.

one thing is for sure, the further you get out of boston, the better things get. i dont know what the route is that you have, nor do i really know boston that well, but my advice would be to consider starting somewhere outside of boston. the riding around and through the city is the worst part of the whole ride, you're constantly on alert for cars and not really enjoying yourself in the city itself.

just a thought.

also, when i look at those wheels, they dont say "touring" to me...

the bike itself looks great, and adding lights is certainly no big deal, but definitely buy the best lights you can get your hands on/afford.

is the plan to stay in hotels overnight?

man - i'm jealous, if my life situations allowed i'd come and join you, but may is tied up for me.

good luck, keep us posted!! :beer:

palincss
04-23-2011, 09:10 PM
One of the best overviews of bicycle lighting for randonneuring on the web is found here http://blayleys.com/articles/lights/index.htm on jbay's web site.

palincss
04-23-2011, 09:13 PM
is the plan to stay in hotels overnight?

If the plan is to replicate the conditions on BMB, there may be a few hours of nap time but almost certainly not "overnights".

BillG
04-23-2011, 09:27 PM
It seems like you're planning to go up over three days. I would suggest taking the train out to Fitchburg and going from there. Also beware riding into Montreal, that's notoriously dangerous with no really safe way in from what I understand.

You could do Fitchburg to Ludlow (maybe try Mount Okemo!), Ludlow to somewhere around Burlington, and Burlington to Montreal. Once you hit Burlington it's flat. The East side of the Green Mountains is prettier but the West side is probably quicker and you will avoid the gaps (not that I would want to!)

ultraman6970
04-23-2011, 09:33 PM
Just readin what is this all about and sounds killing, are 350 miles one way and 350 miles the other way right? 4 days to make it right?

Basically you have to pedal non stopping for 4 days right?

jbay
04-23-2011, 09:36 PM
I have a week off in May, and I was thinking of reproducing the Boston - Montreal - Boston brevet. Have any of you completed the ride when it was an official randonnee? If so, any advice?

My thoughts are that I would spend the standard 3 days venturing there, actually make the trip to Montreal as opposed to Huntingdon, QC, enjoy the town for 2 days with the bike, and then have the lady friend pick me up.
J,

I've ridden it as a randonnée several times. If I understand correctly, you're going to take three days to ride up there, correct? Presuming that to be true, you will have some spare time on your hands, so you could pick a quieter way out of Boston, as far as Stirling, say. The official route from there to Ludlow, Vermont is great. Given some extra time on your hands, I would personally avoid Route 100 from there on but, that said, it's not terrible. The section after Middlebury is pleasant but I would definitely try to find some quieter roads around South Burlington. The section up along Lake Champlain can be a tad windy, but I don't think you have a great many alternatives.

And, should you would prefer to ride a three day dirt road extravaganza in VT at the end of May instead, drop me a line!

-- John

P.S. That's another lovely machine!

xjahx
04-23-2011, 10:21 PM
Without a lighting system, there is no way that bike is ready for a 1200 km randonnee. You don't ride 1200km in the time allowed without riding at night, and probably all night.

As I mentioned below the photo, that is far from the actual build that I will use. That was simply the build that was present when I purchased the bike used (30 miles).

Here is the build thus far:
-Vanilla Frame/Fork as pictured
-Wheels Shimano Dynamo front / DT Swiss 240s Rear - 36h, DT TK540 rims, 14/15g DB stainless DT spokes with brass nipples
-Components: SRAM force levers, calipers, and cranks mated with X.0 rear with 11-36 range
-Lighting: front decaleur has mount for Supernova E3 Triple Dynamo Light (800 lumens) powered by front Dynamo hub, Supernova E3 rear
-Rear Rack: Tubus with corresponding Ortlieb Pannier - Back Roller

To reiterate the plan, I am not riding the full 1200k. I would like to spend 3 days to ride from Boston to Montreal hitting the old high points from the BMB. 2 days in the city, exploring on the bike. The wife and support dog then arrive for a night in the city, and the bike and myself bum a ride home in the wagon.

xjahx
04-23-2011, 10:29 PM
Thank you for all of the resources and suggestions thus far. I will reach out to the few additional members that were mentioned.

I cannot wait to hit the road. I agree that Boston will be the worst part; navigating the streets of beantown is currently my daily commute.

xjahx
04-23-2011, 11:02 PM
One of the best overviews of bicycle lighting for randonneuring on the web is found here http://blayleys.com/articles/lights/index.htm on jbay's web site.

Thanks for the link. The Dynamo - Supernova E3 combination that I am using on my 29er for night MTB riding will be the same that I use on this ride. Based on the site, John/Pamela suggest a similar dynamo-based setup. As fate would have it, I had a tour of their stable when I picked up that IF Independence S&S coupled from the forum a few months ago. Wonderful people and bikes.

rice rocket
04-23-2011, 11:03 PM
Check the laws about travelling w/ a dog. I used to work for an airline pet transporter, and there was all sorts of vaccinations and paperwork required. Not sure if it's the same when you're driving over the border, but I'd hate to see your wife get stopped.

xjahx
04-23-2011, 11:22 PM
We have crossed the border several time with the hound; she has all of her papers in order. You are correct, though, that any canine needs a clean bill of health with proper documentation. Most any vet can provide this.

4Rings6Stars
04-23-2011, 11:50 PM
Sounds like an amazing ride and that bike will be a stunner when it's finished.

I must say though, that I thought this thread was going to be about hockey. Bruins/Habs played tonight in Boston, then Tuesday in Montreal, then Wednesday back in Boston :)
(and Lady Gaga is the reason they are playing back-back with travel and not Monday Wednesday which annoys me /hockey rant. Carry on about the epic bike ride)

xjahx
04-24-2011, 05:32 AM
I just had an extended 20 mile ride for a 3 mile commute on my way to work. It looks like I will leave Boston at 6am on a Sunday; that is the perfect time to venture through the city.

Keep the suggestions flowing. Thanks...

wc1934
04-24-2011, 08:57 PM
Do you plan to ride it within the 90 hour time limit? You might want to look at the old BMB websites - lots of good info such as places to stay, maps etc. It is a very ambitious ride - the gaps in Vt. are not easy.
Good luck

palincss
04-25-2011, 07:36 AM
The Dynamo - Supernova E3 combination that I am using on my 29er for night MTB riding will be the same that I use on this ride. Based on the site, John/Pamela suggest a similar dynamo-based setup. As fate would have it, I had a tour of their stable when I picked up that IF Independence S&S coupled from the forum a few months ago. Wonderful people and bikes.

I quite agree about John and Pamela.

About the E3 -- IIRC they come (or came) in several varieties, and the one for MTB doesn't have the same focused beam as the one for the road. You want light all over the place off-road, but on road that same scatter that helps so much in the woods will be in oncoming drivers' eyes. Other than that, you are indeed describing a state of the art lighting system.

xjahx
04-25-2011, 09:44 AM
...About the E3 -- IIRC they come (or came) in several varieties, and the one for MTB doesn't have the same focused beam as the one for the road.

You are correct, and I fully admit to not having considered that too much. I have the E3 triple (800 lumens, designed for MTB use). I have had great success with our night mountain riding and then the quick 2-3 miles home from the trailhead.

Based on their site, it seems like the E3 Pro with TERRAFLUX lens is the option for "road legal" based on German standards. The output is 305 lumens, a value that I have not used in the mountain world for about 5 years. That being said it is much more focused than I am used to. I will try to find a local shop with a demo until before buying yet another Supernova.

jh_on_the_cape
04-25-2011, 12:32 PM
Are you doing PBP this year?

Sounds fun and be safe.

Personally i would start outside Boston and ride dawn to dusk for three days and just get as far as I get. Days are long at the end of May.

palincss
04-25-2011, 12:56 PM
Are you doing PBP this year?

Sounds fun and be safe.

Personally i would start outside Boston and ride dawn to dusk for three days and just get as far as I get. Days are long at the end of May.

Yes, but that doesn't come close to duplicating the conditions of a 1200km Grand Randonnee, which I thought was part of what the OP wanted to do. Night riding can be tremendous fun, a wonderful experience, if you've got the lighting and navigation issues under control.

JohnHemlock
04-25-2011, 01:51 PM
Post your route, with specifics on where you might be taking breaks.

Also, don't carry a lock, it will only slow you down.

skijoring
04-25-2011, 01:57 PM
Yeah XJAHX, hit me up if you need anything around Burlington. Place to crash for a couple hours, beers, cheers, etc. Coffee.

:beer: