PDA

View Full Version : Comparable bikes to Trek Portland

salem
04-22-2011, 06:10 PM
I'd been thinking of trying to roll my rain, winter, rough road, and touring bikes into one. I came up with the following rough criteria.
-Non-rusting metal frame (Ti or Al)
-700c
-roughly 440mm chainstays
-down tube shifter mounts (this is a must have)
-disc brakes and clearance for 38c tires
-58cm TT (for a 73 seat angle) for a size I can clear with 34" inseam.

I was pretty sure that was a tall order, but then I found the Portland, which except for slightly shorter stays, matches well. Problem is, it seems ridiculously overpriced at almost $600 more than Trek's road bike that shares the Tiagra group, and still $350 more than the 105 bike with equivalent black series frame. This may be simply a case of production numbers for a niche bike, but seems hard to justify. It's a high enough price to make a custom Ti frame look appealing for just a bit more.

Can anyone think of any other bikes that meet the all criteria above? If I drop the disk brakes (the easiest item to give up), that would open up a lot of used options, but I'm curious if there is another exact match. The down tube shifter mounts are the hard item to find, but I'd been swapping to a flat bar with interior mounted bar "ends" for touring, so not having to muss with shift cables is key.

Out of production used suggestions are very welcome too.

Thank you.

jlyon
04-22-2011, 07:18 PM
Kona used to have the Dew Drop that had drop bars but I think they are all straight bars now.

Trek's Fisher brand has some cool commuter style bikes but again straight bars.

salem
04-23-2011, 06:18 AM
Kona used to have the Dew Drop that had drop bars but I think they are all straight bars now.

Trek's Fisher brand has some cool commuter style bikes but again straight bars.
Flat bars are no issue, they are changed easily, and I'd be touring with them anyway, but none of those bike have the absolutely must-have down tube shifter mounts. There is the Kona Sutra, but it is a rust-able metal.

Lewym
04-23-2011, 09:18 AM
Check out the Salsa Vaya. You could buy just the f/f and build it up however you want.

csm
04-23-2011, 09:48 AM
I like the Portland too; but not enough to get one.
I have a Salsa Fargo which is a beefier version of the Vaya. they are both steel frames tho.

salem
04-23-2011, 11:38 AM
Both Salsa are interesting, but the rust free Ti versions don't have the down tube shifter mounts. I can't stress enough how key a feature that is. Also, the head tubes are far too long for my comfortable position.

Ken Robb
04-23-2011, 12:49 PM
If you use Framesaver inside and touch up nicks outside is a steel frame going to rust away in your lifetime? How about all those old steel bikes still going strong in Britain and Europe? There so many steel bikes that offer the features you want and many are at bargain prices too. :)

xjoex
04-23-2011, 08:37 PM
This does not match all of your requirements, but don't give up the disc brake option. I love my Seven Mudhoney with discs.
http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h85/boulderjoe/IMG_4768.jpg

-Joe