PDA

View Full Version : HELP!!! Rear Der. Adjustment?

norcalbiker
04-22-2011, 02:05 PM
I have a Campy Record 11. My chain will not go from 3rd smallest cog to the 4th. I can go to 5th smallest then go down to 4th with no problem. I also don't have any problem with any other cogs. I have a long ride tomorrow and LBS around here always want you leave the bike for few days even a small adjustment as the rear der.

Any advice on what to adjust?

TIA

AngryScientist
04-22-2011, 02:13 PM
sounds to me like something is binding up somewhere.

disconnect the cable from the RD and ensure that the rd can make its full length of travel smoothly without binding up anywhere. next work the inner cable through the housing along its full travelable length and make sure its not hanging up anywhere. ensure the cable ends are cut smoothly at 90 degrees and they are "home" at their respective stops.

bicycletricycle
04-22-2011, 03:58 PM
has this bike with these parts shifted well in the past? did it just start all of a sudden or was it after some time of working fine?

norcalbiker
04-22-2011, 04:07 PM
sounds to me like something is binding up somewhere.

disconnect the cable from the RD and ensure that the rd can make its full length of travel smoothly without binding up anywhere. next work the inner cable through the housing along its full travelable length and make sure its not hanging up anywhere. ensure the cable ends are cut smoothly at 90 degrees and they are "home" at their respective stops.

WOW!!! Sounds too complicated for me. :crap:

ultraman6970
04-22-2011, 04:07 PM
Agree with AngryScientist, that's the cable that is getting stuck somewhere, maybe in the exit cable holes in the lever.

Did you put both cables in the front or in the back? or u have them one in the front and one in the back?

Are u using 11 speed campy cable? that cable is thinner.

norcalbiker
04-22-2011, 04:08 PM
has this bike with these parts shifted well in the past? did it just start all of a sudden or was it after some time of working fine?

Well, it's been hanging in the garage since I have been riding my training bike. I have decided to use this bike since the weather is nice.

biker72
04-22-2011, 06:42 PM
I have a Campy Record 11. My chain will not go from 3rd smallest cog to the 4th. I can go to 5th smallest then go down to 4th with no problem. I also don't have any problem with any other cogs. I have a long ride tomorrow and LBS around here always want you leave the bike for few days even a small adjustment as the rear der.

Any advice on what to adjust?

TIA
First I think I'd try another bike shop. My LBS will fix shifting problems in a couple of minutes while I wait.

It does sound like a cable problem as others have posted.

sean
04-22-2011, 06:43 PM
try and get some cable magic in there as well. Can make a huge difference.

Check the housing ends and ferrules, make sure that all the cable cuts are clean and smooth.

thegunner
04-22-2011, 06:46 PM
last time something similar happened to one of my teammate's bikes... his cable was entirely frayed in the RD housing. couldn't tell if you just looked at it though.

mjbrekke
04-22-2011, 08:21 PM
I can't speak to Campy 11, but my Record 8 system has acted like this in the past. It's always been one of 3 things: 1) dirty drivetrain; 2) cable and/or derailleur slightly out of adjustment; 3) worn chain or cogs.

To remedy 1), fully clean and lube the drivetrain, including full disassembly and cleaning of the cluster.

To remedy 2), shift the derailleur onto the smallest cog. Make sure all the clicks are used up in the shifter so the cable is fully extended. Loosen the cable slightly (so there is a bit of slack) by using the cable adjuster on the derailleur. From behind the bike, check the alignment of the derailleur pulleys to the smallest cog--they should be perfectly in line. If not, adjust the alignment. Then, take the slack back out of the cable--it needs to be exactly (and I do mean exactly) to the point where any more turning of the adjuster begins to move the derailleur toward the next cog.

To remedy 3), open up the wallet.

I haven't had a cable go bad in years, but what the others are saying is certainly a fourth possibility.

Good luck!

oldpotatoe
04-23-2011, 07:55 AM
Agree with AngryScientist, that's the cable that is getting stuck somewhere, maybe in the exit cable holes in the lever.

Did you put both cables in the front or in the back? or u have them one in the front and one in the back?

Are u using 11 speed campy cable? that cable is thinner.

Actually the cable is like any Campagnolo compatible cable, the housing is 4mm...

I'd say something is keeping the RD from returning...drag somewhere.

Jagwire 4mm housing and Campag specific inner wire also by Jagwire..some thin lube in the housing, dremel to cut the ends at 90 degrees, make sure the wee washer is still in the lever....

Onno
04-23-2011, 08:26 AM
WOW!!! Sounds too complicated for me. :crap:

Take the leap! Disconnecting, cleaning, reconnecting, readjusting cables and derailleurs is the first step to becoming a diy bike mechanic (OK, second step, after figuring out how to fix your own flat, pumping up your own tires). You can't rely on bike shops for this basic stuff.

Dave
04-23-2011, 09:00 AM
Cable friction is a common problem with the new ultrashift levers. It only affects the shifts from larger cogs to smaller ones (the thumb button shifts) If you remove the shift cable, you might as well toss it, because it's unlikely to go back together and work properly.

The cheap solution for replacing the cable and housing on just the right side is to use Shimano 4mm bulk housing with a Campy cable. Three feet of housing and a cable is about $12-15.