PDA

View Full Version : Lets all be safe out there

bambam
04-22-2011, 10:00 AM
Seems like a lot of accidents lately.
Years ago I took a motorcycle safety course. I apply a lot of what I learned to riding a bike.
Yearly or just some random I times I re-read my manual to refresh myself.
his is not the book I used in class but it is close.

http://www.msf-usa.org/downloads/mom_v16_color_hi_res.pdf

page 21-30 seems to be very helpful and always assume when your on a bike everyone around you is an idiot.

AngryScientist
04-22-2011, 10:12 AM
there is some very good advice in there that is certainly applicable to cycling.

one of the best tips i've ever gotten from a seasoned rider is also mentioned in this book:

"look at where you want the bike to go"

lots of us focus on whatever we're trying to avoid or something else, but in a panic situation, it really helps to look where you're trying to go, sounds obvious, but definitely not everyone does this.
:beer:

Matt-H
04-22-2011, 10:27 AM
there is some very good advice in there that is certainly applicable to cycling.

one of the best tips i've ever gotten from a seasoned rider is also mentioned in this book:

lots of us focus on whatever we're trying to avoid or something else, but in a panic situation, it really helps to look where you're trying to go, sounds obvious, but definitely not everyone does this.

yup. Also one of the first and most frequent tips my sons have heard since they've been on two wheels.

Len J
04-22-2011, 10:35 AM
Just remember........

"Half the drivers out there are below average."

Len

tuxbailey
04-22-2011, 10:44 AM

This applies to driving as well. They teach that at track events. It explains a lot why you an accident where a car is wrapped around a lone tree of telephone pole with nothing else around because their eyes are focused on that object, then the body just follows the eyes.

veloduffer
04-22-2011, 11:49 AM
Just remember........

Len

That smacks against a known universal truth espoused by every American driver: "I'm a good driver."

Ahneida Ride
04-22-2011, 11:51 AM
Just remember........

Len

:fight: :rolleyes: :hello: :p :D

54ny77
04-22-2011, 12:03 PM
funny you mention that. back when i had a sportbike, i'd often go for early dawn canyon carving rides, come home, have some food, then go for a bike ride (a.k.a. the weekend iron butt biathlon :hello: ). on the occasional sharp(er) turn, right upon exiting the turn i'd instinctively look for roll-on throttle power while on my road bike...duh....wrong dynamic! :banana:

ahh, loved those days, carefree and no real responsibilities. :cool:

Seems like a lot of accidents lately.
Years ago I took a motorcycle safety course. I apply a lot of what I learned to riding a bike.
Yearly or just some random I times I re-read my manual to refresh myself.
his is not the book I used in class but it is close.

http://www.msf-usa.org/downloads/mom_v16_color_hi_res.pdf

page 21-30 seems to be very helpful and always assume when your on a bike everyone around you is an idiot.

Ken Robb
04-22-2011, 12:54 PM
Just remember........

Len

Yep and "average" is almost brain-dead at best. :crap:

bambam
04-22-2011, 02:53 PM
Not sure if its in the manual or not but I remember two things mentioned in the class It took in 1998.

1) Look out for left turners. At 4 way intersections people turn left to head towards you from the right. Left to turn infront of you while heading towards you, adt left to travel with you from the left.

and

2) look at the front end of the car and the wheels. If it dips they are braking. This usually means a change of direction which could mean a left turn across your nose.

Number 2 is expecially helpful in Kentucky where turn signals are not used enough. Watching the front end of a car has saved me multiple times in or on any vehicle.

benb
04-22-2011, 03:21 PM
I watch that stuff sitting at a light but if you're moving and you're looking at a car long enough to see what it's suspension or steering is doing you've target fixated...

On a motorcycle in particular you should just be glancing at that car without really focusing on it, noting it's there, and adjusting yourself appropriately. There is no decision about what the car is doing, it exists, which means you need to be 100% prepared for it to do the worst thing, so you slow down. In "SIPDE - Scan - Identify - Predict - Decide - Execute" you are basically always predicting the other drive is going to make the worst possible decision. But you don't stare at that car, you keep your main gaze focused on where your bike needs to go.

Unless I'm fully committed to a turn I will begin slowing down immediately on my motorcycle if I can see a car at all.. not unnecessarily, but if I'm travelling at a good clip I will shut it down immediately. And I will generally not "fully commit" to a turn on the street anyway... I'll take it at a speed where I know I can safely come to a stop at any time without exiting my lane. On a bicycle I don't slow down but I make sure I'm prepared to stop.. e.x. making sure the brakes are within reach.

I took the class more recently and obviously a different place but I'm surprised an instructor would be telling someone to focus that intently on a car, particularly beginner motorcyclists will just head right for the car if they look at it very long.

BumbleBeeDave
04-22-2011, 03:24 PM
Just remember........

Len

All of the drivers around there are above average.

BBD