PDA

View Full Version : my geared bike question

Fixed
04-22-2011, 09:52 AM
after my accident injuries heal and i get the ok from my doc to ride , i am thinking about riding my geared bike more i have a seaco caad 7 that i ride very little it is in new shape and i like it fine . here are my questions
1) should i upgrade from shimano ultegra 9 ( it works perfectly and looks new ) to something more modern .

2) or get a whole new complete bike ?
3) keep the cannondale as is ?
cheers thanks

Joachim
04-22-2011, 09:57 AM
It looks like this is the ideal opportunity to upgrade to Campy (if you are going to upgrade). After the accident you should get yourself a little treat from the personal injury claim :)

AngryScientist
04-22-2011, 09:58 AM
after my accident injuries heal and i get the ok from my doc to ride , i am thinking about riding my geared bike more i have a seaco caad 7 that i ride very little it is in new shape and i like it fine . here are my questions
1) should i upgrade from shimano ultegra 9 ( it works perfectly and looks new ) to something more modern .

cheers thanks

how do you like the ride of the c'dale? those caad frames are known to be a bit harsh, as opposed to a smoother, more plush ride.

as for the ultegra-9, its fine stuff, have it on my cross bike, and being an all otherwise campy guy, IMO it works perfectly fine. no need to spend money to fix what works.

oldpotatoe
04-22-2011, 09:59 AM

cheers thanks

1)-no
2)-no
3)-yes

yer welcome

fiamme red
04-22-2011, 10:16 AM
1)-no
2)-no
3)-yes

yer welcomeRefreshing honesty from a bike shop owner. :beer:

oldpotatoe
04-22-2011, 10:21 AM
Refreshing honesty from a bike shop owner. :beer:

reality, what a concept.

rugbysecondrow
04-22-2011, 10:22 AM

cheers thanks

Ride it as is and don't look back.

Cheers,

Paul

gasman
04-22-2011, 11:10 AM
Keep it
Ride it
Listen to oldpotatoe

biker72
04-22-2011, 11:58 AM
1)-no
2)-no
3)-yes

yer welcome

My thoughts exactly.
Quick and to the point.... :)

Scott Shire
04-22-2011, 12:33 PM
http://madison.craigslist.org/bik/2337754325.html

Leave the Saeco as is, buy the above, endure me needling you about derailleurs.

Glad to hear you're thinking of bikes!

Ken Robb
04-22-2011, 12:52 PM
I have/had Campy and Shimano 9 and 10 spd bikes. They all work fine. My Ultegra 9 speed triple function is the silkiest shifting of all--it's a "snick" rather than a "clack". With matching triple cranks, derailer, shifters shifting the rings is a one click no-brainer with no trimming required. OTOH when I run cranks with 48-38-28 rings (TA Zephyr) they required a shift and a 1/2 step backshift whereas the Campy shifters which are really stepless ratchets require only that I move the shifter the appropriate amount w/no backshifting provided I move the lever just right.

PSC
04-22-2011, 12:59 PM
Been riding 9 spd Ultegra for 7 years and 30k+ miles. Still works great, see no reason to upgrade.

dogdriver
04-22-2011, 02:41 PM
1)-no
2)-no
3)-yes

yer welcome

+1

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

avalonracing
04-22-2011, 02:56 PM
It looks like this is the ideal opportunity to upgrade to Campy (if you are going to upgrade)

No, I don't think you understand. He asked if he should UPGRADE. I think he must be talking about Dura Ace. :D

palincss
04-22-2011, 03:48 PM

Why would you want to do that? What do you think it would do for you besides lighten your wallet?

Do you think you would ride the bike more because it had 10 rather than 9 speeds? Do you think that extra 10th sprocket would somehow make life more worth living?

IMHO, just ride the damn bike.

bicycletricycle
04-22-2011, 03:57 PM
ultegra 9 speed in really nice, when it comes down to it, it is nicer than anybody really needs. Sounds like you have a solid bike, good luck with the recovery.