PDA

View Full Version : Rapha Classic Bib Shorts First Impressions

FlashUNC
04-21-2011, 09:39 PM
Hi all, figured I'd pass along some knowledge on a pair of Rapha bibs I decided to try, after I had a pair of old Castelli shorts give up the ghost. I've been a Castelli guy for going on 10 years now, so while I'm sure this is a betrayal on some level, I figured it was worth giving them a shot, given so many positive reviews I've read about the shorts.
Just got back from our Thursday night 25-mile "recovery" spin that usually ends up being a hammerfest with egos in full flight. Tonight, sadly, was no different. Where's the love for the small ring and us fat men I ask?

Anyways, things I liked:

1) The Cytech pad. I know this is the Assos pad and what not. I was skeptical at first because its quite a bit thicker than what my Castelli shorts traditionally use. There's abit more of the diaper effect. But really comfortable on the bike. Easily the best chamois my taint has ever met with.

2) Overall fit was really good, and for the money, it sure better be. Given Rapha's sizing, I ended up in the XL range. The legs run a bit longer than what I'm used to, but what's another bizarre tanline on a body full of them?
The shorts do fit better on the bike than off, though I did notice things are a bit tight in the --well, no other way to put this really -- the crotchal region. Especially when off the bike. (I can already tell I'm unlikely to live this one down...)

3) The matte-like finish on the lyrcra. Its subdued and shirks that shiny effect that I think is best left with some of the other odd styling choices of the 1980s.

What I didn't like:

1) The off bike fit. I realize its designed for a sitting position. But man these things can feel a bit like you're wearing Borat's bathing suit. The tug from the bib straps is noticeable while standing or walking. Admittedly that disappears entirely on the bike, but still annoying.

2) Strap design. The bib straps seem needlessly complicated, particularly how its designed across the back. More just a complaint as I'm trying to stick two legs successfully into these things, which is usually no small feat unto itself.

3) The hidden pocket on the back is a really nice touch, but like their bib tights, it could really use just a short zipper. I'm a bit paranoid something's going to hop out of there eventually.

Remains to be seen how they'll feel after a 3-4 hour ride rather than just a 90 minute jaunt, but that's something to be discovered this weekend. If it all holds up though, Castelli might have just lost a customer, for bibs anyways.

willy in pacifi
04-21-2011, 09:49 PM
I don't think I have ever worn them for just 90 minutes. Last week I wore a pair for 22 hours and this weekend it will be exactly 24 hours on the Easter Flθche. Very comfortable.

Willy in Pacifica

TMB
04-21-2011, 09:51 PM
Dear lord, the "price" again.

Rapha ( their website) $210

2011 Assos F.I. Mille S5 Bib Shorts $260

2011 Assos F.I. 13 S5 Bib Shorts $340

Castelli BodyPaint Bib short $250

Hincapie Emergence Bib Short $220

Giordana Trade FormaRed Carbon Bib $200

Etxeondo Daily Bib Shorts $250

Starting to see a pattern …………..???????

jblande
04-22-2011, 01:31 AM
best price to comfort relationship of any bibs i have ever tried.

FlashUNC
04-22-2011, 06:49 AM
best price to comfort relationship of any bibs i have ever tried.

Totally agree.

AngryScientist
04-22-2011, 06:57 AM
i have two sets of the "team" bibshorts, my hands down favorites. they have been washed about a billion times, durability is great as well as fit and finish for me.

jmoore
04-22-2011, 08:54 AM
Dear lord, the "price" again.

Starting to see a pattern …………..???????

This is a terrible pattern. No way I'm paying >$100 for bibs. $200+ is just silly territory. At least for me. To each his own though.

AngryScientist
04-22-2011, 08:56 AM
This is a terrible pattern. No way I'm paying >$100 for bibs. $200+ is just silly territory. At least for me. To each his own though.

you can convince yourself whatever you want, but IMO, you're really missing out here.

jmoore
04-22-2011, 09:04 AM
you can convince yourself whatever you want, but IMO, you're really missing out here.

I didn't say they were not good quality. I meant they were too expensive for me personally. At any rate, you are probably right on me missing out.

how long are the straps? I'm 6'5" so strap length is a major factor when I buy bibs. the male cameltoe look is not good.

fiamme red
04-22-2011, 09:06 AM
you can convince yourself whatever you want, but IMO, you're really missing out here.I just bought a pair of shorts on sale for $50, and wearing them for the first time on a 100-mile ride this past weekend, I didn't think about them at all while riding. I'm skeptical whether an extra $150 would have bought me much more comfort than that.

thwart
04-22-2011, 09:47 AM
The shorts do fit better on the bike than off, though I did notice things are a bit tight in the --well, no other way to put this really -- the crotchal region. Especially when off the bike. (I can already tell I'm unlikely to live this one down...) You can be eternally grateful you didn't type 'much too loose' when referring to that same area... that might have been tough to live down.

cmg
04-22-2011, 10:30 AM

so from this list Rapha are the best deal? any comments on the other brands? Rapha is usually critisized for more style than substance but this time they got it right?

Derailer
04-22-2011, 11:28 AM
Rapha makes great bibs -- my favorites.

Anyone have any experience with their lightweight jerseys? I've been eyeing them for about 2 years now; it's probably time to pull the trigger.

AngryScientist
04-22-2011, 11:53 AM
Rapha is usually critisized for more style than substance but this time they got it right?

i disagree with this. they do put an emphasis on style and marketing towards the stylish types, but everything rapha makes is nothing short of excellent in the substance department. i can't speak to their casual stuff, jeans, tshirts etc, but everything i've seen of theirs thats cycling specific is spot on quality.

JeffS
04-22-2011, 12:41 PM

so from this list Rapha are the best deal? any comments on the other brands? Rapha is usually critisized for more style than substance but this time they got it right?

The thing is... the list seems to be list price, and Rapha might be the only product on it that actually sells for list price. But yes, I understand that the original intention of the list was to point out that "high end" has moved above $200 for everyone.

The best "deal" is the one that works for you. I didn't like Rapha and wouldn't compare them to high-end Assos (and they're not really in the same price range). FormaRed was great until it wore out quicker than anything I've ever owned, making them at least 3-4 times the cost of my FI.13's.

jt2gt
04-22-2011, 01:00 PM

Best deal is Assos at Ribble UK sale (if you don't want to keep trying to bid low and hope to win on ebay). Even the cheapest Unos are pretty great. The three Assos offerings are $250 (13), $185 (Mille) and $140 (Uno) at Ribble.

JT

Chris
04-22-2011, 01:08 PM
I have a few classic Rapha bibs. I really like the Rapha line of clothing and it works for me. I get it though if people don't like it. I am interested in trying the pro team shorts to check out the difference. If anyone has those, I would love to hear their opinion.

rice rocket
04-22-2011, 01:12 PM
The Giordana Bodyclone stuff comes up on Bonktown.

I paid $79 shipped for $250 bibs. Deal of the century, love these things. The seamless straps are amazing. Chamois is excellent as well.

Bonktown also has 2 set of Castelli bibs they rotate through as well. They're like $219 and 249 MSRP iirc.

fiamme red
04-22-2011, 01:16 PM
Sierra Trading Post and Department of Goods have Campagnolo bib shorts on sale.

rice rocket
04-22-2011, 01:59 PM
I think Competitive Cyclist had the Campy bibs on sale too. Or maybe it was knickers, I forget.

dekindy
04-22-2011, 03:12 PM
I wear Assos bib shorts only for very long rides. Don't put the straps around the shoulders until you are ready to ride and take them off when you are done. I have a picture taken while getting ready for RAIN and it looks weird but I don't care. I wore a t-shirt while driving to the ride, took off my shirt, pulled on the straps, put my biking jersey on and was ready to go. Much less hassle than experiencing the discomfort from the straps. This is a small price to pay for extreme comfort on the bike, ATMO.

bikemoore
04-22-2011, 04:27 PM
We cyclists are such suckers for hyper-expensive stuff that doesn't do anything any better than the reasonably priced stuff on the market. As long we have enough of our market segment that is willing to fork over silly dough, there will be companies like Rapha and Assos that are willing to fill our desires. I don't doubt that Rapha clothing is of very high quality....it had damn well better be for the $$ they charge for it. What I do doubt is that Rapha is enough better than a pair of Performance Ultra bibs to warrent being 3.5x more expensive. I would love to see a blind comparison test between the $200+ bibs and the Performance Elite and Ultra stuff. I'm willing to bet money that blind test results would have no relationship to the cost of the bibs. Me, I'm sticking with $59.99 on-sale Performance Ultras that I know work very, very well and won't break my heart when the inevitable happens to them at some point in their lifetime. Actually, I don't resent the hyper-expensive clothing lines as their technology does trickle down. I let other folks fund the advance of cycling clothing and then reap the benefits as lines like Performance keep pace at a much, much better price.

BCS
04-22-2011, 04:44 PM
I would love to see a blind comparison test between the $200+ bibs and the Performance Elite and Ultra stuff. I'm willing to bet money that blind test results would have no relationship to the cost of the bibs.
I love this. You haven't tried Rapha so how can you comment?
I have ridden both as well as Assos, Giordana and Capo and my taint says otherwise. Performance is ???? IMAHO (In my ass' humble opinion). But you seem to enjoy the feel so keep buying them. No worries and your rides will be no less epic.

Frankly, all the hate regarding high end gear on a site that features $5000+ frames is ridiculous. Can you really tell the difference between a Legend and a Habanero?? Can I tell the difference between my Parlee and some cheap carbon frame? Probably not and totally irrelevant

JohnHemlock
04-22-2011, 05:07 PM
We cyclists are such suckers for hyper-expensive stuff that doesn't do anything any better than the reasonably priced stuff on the market. As long we have enough of our market segment that is willing to fork over silly dough, there will be companies like Rapha and Assos that are willing to fill our desires. I don't doubt that Rapha clothing is of very high quality....it had damn well better be for the $$ they charge for it. What I do doubt is that Rapha is enough better than a pair of Performance Ultra bibs to warrent being 3.5x more expensive. I would love to see a blind comparison test between the $200+ bibs and the Performance Elite and Ultra stuff. I'm willing to bet money that blind test results would have no relationship to the cost of the bibs. Me, I'm sticking with $59.99 on-sale Performance Ultras that I know work very, very well and won't break my heart when the inevitable happens to them at some point in their lifetime. Actually, I don't resent the hyper-expensive clothing lines as their technology does trickle down. I let other folks fund the advance of cycling clothing and then reap the benefits as lines like Performance keep pace at a much, much better price.

I'm with you. I used to get thousand dollar prostitutes but in the dark, the $75 ones do the job almost as well!

RJR
04-22-2011, 05:15 PM
Anyone have any experience with their lightweight jerseys? I've been eyeing them for about 2 years now; it's probably time to pull the trigger.

I'd rate the lightweight jersey as "okay"...nowhere near the league of the bibs. Pockets are a bit weird. I'm a fan of their other full-zip jerseys (club and/or country) if I can get them on deep discount. Jerseys just are just not as important to me as the bibs.