PDA

View Full Version : Hed Ardennes wheels

KeithS
04-21-2011, 08:52 PM
I picked up my new Hed Ardennes CL's tonight. Did 30 miles in the cold, wind, and eventually rain. Beside my Serotta it is the most impactful purchase I have ever made. They are very smooth, my bike corners as if on rails. Can you tell I like them? They are light, comfortable and roll forever. I am a true believer, I would recommend to anyone.
I live a couple of miles from the the Hedquarters, so I even got to buy local.

rpm
04-21-2011, 09:33 PM
Join the club! I have Ardennes on my Strong and Bastognes on my Serotta. Those Hed guys really know what they're doing, and if you ever have a problem you know where to find them. I beat up my rear Ardennes in a crash and they had it back to me in a week.

Black Dog
04-21-2011, 09:41 PM
I have a set of the Kermesse. I love them. They are as nice as tubulars and corner like a dream. Being able to run them with the same tires at 10psi less than narrow rims is a big plus. Big fan now.

saab2000
04-21-2011, 09:57 PM
How are the hubs? I am quite intrigued but the small diameter hubs have me nervous about their long-term durability.

KeithS
04-21-2011, 10:13 PM
They changed the branding this year, last years Kermesse is this years Ardennes CL. I really like the wider profile, one of my buddies tonight asked me if I was running 32's, they're Conti 4000 25's. I think I tried 100 psi front and rear, very comfortable. I'm gonna like 'em.

Kinda cool that a friend of mine built them, he did a great job too. I would imagine that all wheels at this price point are very good, I didn't shop because of the local ties and my LBS took good care of me.

KeithS
04-21-2011, 10:28 PM
How are the hubs? I am quite intrigued but the small diameter hubs have me nervous about their long-term durability.

They spin forever, and they are smooth. I could really tell the difference. I didn't compare the diameter with any other, but they don't appear or peform as if they are delicate. I have a friend who had them strung with Chris King, they look great and he loves 'em, way too noisy for me. I asked one of the Hed guys at our club meeting and he talked about the science of the design. Made me a believer.

PM me next time you have a layover at MSP, I'll hook you up with a nice ride with a set of Ardennes and you can judge for yourself. Can't yet speak for longevity, only have 35 miles on them, so far so good. They sure did smooth out the - spring in Minnesota - bumpy roads.

Bruce K
04-22-2011, 02:49 AM
I have beaten the c++p out of a set of the original Ardennes C2's in cyclocross for the past couple of seasons with no hub issues if that helps.

204# rider on stallion build wheelset - about 24 races.

BK

alancw3
04-22-2011, 04:34 AM
just purchased a set of ardennes stallion build for the la corsa i purchased from mike on the forum last week. can't wait to try them. i am also going with conti gp4000 25's.

enjoy!

Dave Wages
04-22-2011, 07:40 AM
I've been riding a set of Ardennes since last spring, and I couldn't be happier! They've been through some potholes, tons of crappy WI pavement and even D2R2 under a 195lb rider (me) and they're still as straight as when I pulled them out of the box. I am still curious to see how the hubs last, but as of now, mine are still super smooth!

Needless to say, I recommend them highly.

Cheers,
Dave

trener1
04-22-2011, 07:42 AM
I'll have to check them out.

Lovetoclimb
04-22-2011, 07:53 AM
A front hub lasted only 2500-3k miles but otherwise the rims, and overall build of the wheel was flawless. I purchased mine used and continued to use them heavily. I almost regret selling them during my purchase of carbon tubulars, but Campy Boras with FMBs is almost unbeatable . . .

Bruce K
04-22-2011, 08:35 AM
FYI, even if you have a bearing wear out, they are fairly inexpensive and easily replaced by your LBS.

I've done it on several wheels including going from ceramic back to steel on one set. The steel bearings that HED uses are more durable, equally smooth (from any human's ability to notice), and less expensive.

BK