PDA

View Full Version : (And more) Help please: Speedplay X1

achurch
04-21-2011, 05:02 PM
There is supposed to be a screw for the lubrication port. My X2S and X5s have such a screw, my X1s are just solid plastic. Looks like there is a tiny spot on either end I could force a nail (or some other pointy object in) and pry off the solid plastic round end piece, but, like I said, the X2s and X5s have a screw there to release the round end cap. Looked online and speedplay says there should be a screw there, but there is not.
Any suggestions?

Ryun
04-21-2011, 05:07 PM
just poke it and pop it out. I just use a needle.
It has changed over time but the screw doesnt do much. Lighter without it.

thwart
04-21-2011, 05:08 PM
You likely have an older model; that was standard on the X-1 and X-2 up until---what?---maybe 5 yrs ago...

Using a small dental pick or similar tool seems to work to remove the lubrication cap. IIRC you can send them to Speedplay to have them updated to the newer cap, secured by a screw.

Mike748
04-21-2011, 05:33 PM
The screw doesn't secure the cap on the later pedals, it just provides a lube port when removed. I always struggle to keep the grease insertion from pushing the cap out when using mine.

You can drill a small hole and then put a short self tapping screw in the hole.

firerescuefin
04-21-2011, 05:34 PM
You likely have an older model; that was standard on the X-1 and X-2 up until---what?---maybe 5 yrs ago...

Using a small dental pick or similar tool seems to work to remove the lubrication cap. IIRC you can send them to Speedplay to have them updated to the newer cap, secured by a screw.

Yep, you used to have remove the normal cap andtap on this annoying little lube specific cap to shove the grease through. Those pedals have now made it onto my wife's bike.

achurch
04-21-2011, 07:30 PM
i especially like the idea of just drilling it!

AFS
04-21-2011, 07:38 PM
Yep, you used to have remove the normal cap andtap on this annoying little lube specific cap to shove the grease through. Those pedals have now made it onto my wife's bike.

The "speedy-luber" fitting, shown in the following pdf, http://www.speedplay.com/pubs/instructions/grease.pdf

achurch
04-21-2011, 07:45 PM
At least without drilling it....
Wondering if the replacement cap from an X2 rebuild kit is the same size (I have one). Assuming yes, I can drill it, pull it out with a corkscrew and replace it with the X2 rebuild kit endcap?

What do you think? Maybe I should do a poll?

AFS
04-21-2011, 08:31 PM
I have some extra dust caps (old style, no screw) that you can have as backups.

achurch
04-21-2011, 08:48 PM
Drilled the old one--used a new one from an x2 rebuild kit to replace it with one that now has a screw. SUCCESS.
Of course I still need to get the rest of the pedal apart. Stripped the threads on my wrench (better than stripping the threads on the screw!). Need a new one and will heat it to release the loctite before trying again:-)

Thanks everyone!