PDA

View Full Version : L-B-L and doping

LegendRider
04-21-2011, 10:58 AM
I grabbed this factoid from Steve Tilford's blog - 80% of the previous 10 winners of L-B-L have been convicted for doping. The two that haven't are Bettini and Schleck. But, Bettini wouldn't sign anti-doping pledges and never voiced support for cleaning up the sport. And, Andy's brother paid Dr. Fuentes for "training advice." So, not evidence of doping, but neither is it confidence inspiring.

It's not a revelation to point to doping in cycling, but this list gives you some indication of how grave the problem is.

2001 – Oscar Camenzind (Swi), Lampre-Daikin
2002 – Paolo Bettini (I), Mapei-Quickstep
2003 – Tyler Hamilton (USA), CSC
2004 – Davide Rebellin (I), Gerolsteiner
2005 – Alexandre Vinokourov (Kz), T-Mobile
2006 – Alejandro Valverde (Sp), Caisse d’Epargne-Illes Balears
2007 – Danilo Di Luca (I), Liquigas
2008 – Alejandro Valverde (Sp), Caisse d’Epargne
2009 – Andy Schleck (Lux), Saxo Bank
2010 – Alexandre Vinokourov (Kz), Astana

ultraman6970
04-21-2011, 11:07 AM
:d

bumknees
04-21-2011, 11:09 AM
makes me think of that SNL skit from way back w/ the All Drug Olympics.

JMerring
04-21-2011, 11:14 AM
non-news. you could do the same with so many other races, it isn't even funny. BUT, lance never won l-b-l...ergo, he must be clean, right? :)

pbel
04-21-2011, 11:42 AM
I know he hasn't won it yet, but assuming he does, it would absolutely kill me if Gilbert ever tests positive. His performance over these past few weeks has been almost super-human. And as we fans of professional cycling know, if something seems too good to be true, it usually is.

Gilbert has a long history of riding clean, has never tested positive, or ever been connected to any shady "doctors". His success seems to come from a combo of talent, aggressive riding, experience, and years of building up a super strong base.

I really really want to believe in him and cheer for him, but after you've been burned several times. . .

LegendRider
04-21-2011, 11:45 AM
I know he hasn't won it yet, but assuming he does, it would absolutely kill me if Gilbert ever tests positive. His performance over these past few weeks has been almost super-human. And as we fans of professional cycling know, if something seems too good to be true, it usually is.

Gilbert has a long history of riding clean, has never tested positive, or ever been connected to any shady "doctors". His success seems to come from a combo of talent, aggressive riding, experience, and years of building up a super strong base.

I really really want to believe in him and cheer for him, but after you've been burned several times. . .

Totally agree. In fact, I hope he doesn't win so that the rumor mill doesn't go into overdrive!

victoryfactory
04-21-2011, 11:51 AM

It would absolutely kill me if <FILL IN THE BLANK> ever tests positive
for doping

Ahhh, it's tough being a cycling fan

christian
04-21-2011, 12:03 PM
Ahhh, it's tough being a cycling fan
Not really. I think there's pretty good circumstantial evidence that it's possible to dope and never test positive, after all.

tele
04-21-2011, 12:04 PM

but where is the motor in his frame? :crap:

echappist
04-22-2011, 05:15 PM

The fact that he didn't turn pro and immediately started annihilating people bolsters my confidence in him. Other than a few Paris-Tours and Het Volk wins, he didn't win anything big until 2009, when he was 26. 28 is right around the peak age for athletes, and his trajectory seems to indicate success of years of form building.

OTOH, you have il principe picolo. Giro win in early 20's, strings of early success, and now rather irrelevant...

echappist
04-22-2011, 05:19 PM
I grabbed this factoid from Steve Tilford's blog - 80% of the previous 10 winners of L-B-L have been convicted for doping. The two that haven't are Bettini and Schleck. But, Bettini wouldn't sign anti-doping pledges and never voiced support for cleaning up the sport. And, Andy's brother paid Dr. Fuentes for "training advice." So, not evidence of doping, but neither is it confidence inspiring.

It's not a revelation to point to doping in cycling, but this list gives you some indication of how grave the problem is.

2001 – Oscar Camenzind (Swi), Lampre-Daikin
2002 – Paolo Bettini (I), Mapei-Quickstep
2003 – Tyler Hamilton (USA), CSC
2004 – Davide Rebellin (I), Gerolsteiner
2005 – Alexandre Vinokourov (Kz), T-Mobile
2006 – Alejandro Valverde (Sp), Caisse d’Epargne-Illes Balears
2007 – Danilo Di Luca (I), Liquigas
2008 – Alejandro Valverde (Sp), Caisse d’Epargne
2009 – Andy Schleck (Lux), Saxo Bank
2010 – Alexandre Vinokourov (Kz), Astana

Btw, you can go back a few more years and add the following:

2000 - VDB. Known druggie
1999 and 1998. Michele Bartoli, caught up in Operation Puerto.
1996. Gianetti.

1happygirl
04-22-2011, 06:07 PM
All the great Classics riders ped peddlers

soulspinner
04-22-2011, 07:35 PM
Will this affect my love for the sport? Never...... :bike:

harlond
04-22-2011, 08:40 PM
This stuff might bother me if I thought there wasn't a level playing field, but I don't know of any reason to believe we don't have one.

rice rocket
04-22-2011, 09:47 PM
I grabbed this factoid from Steve Tilford's blog - 80% of the previous 10 winners of L-B-L have been convicted for doping.

Have you seen the TdF list? The percentage is > 80% in the past 30 years.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doping_at_the_Tour_de_France#Status_of_Tour_de_Fra nce_winners

pbel
04-22-2011, 10:40 PM
You can't count VDB, those drugs were for his dog!

Btw, you can go back a few more years and add the following:

2000 - VDB. Known druggie