PDA

View Full Version : Andy Gilmour

azrider
04-20-2011, 04:06 PM
Tried doing my due diligence and ran some searches but am still coming up a little short on info related to Andy Gilmour. I've visited his website and seen his work but am looking for some opinions, experiences, or any other knowledge which may help me in my search.

I've already narrowed my builder list to a short few and am not looking for direction, but rather a first or second hand account as to how their experience went-and if they liked the end product or not wouldn't hurt any.

PM would be nice as not to air any dirty briefs....griefs....laundry, whatever.

Thanks all

ultraman6970
04-20-2011, 04:53 PM
Are u talking about David's Gilmour brother?

Gummee
04-20-2011, 05:22 PM
I've had one. Nice bike. Don't remember why I sold it. :confused

Very popular in the SW but not real well known outside the area if I'm not mistaken. He's been at it for a LONG time. FWI can tell, he knows what he's doing.

HTH

M

ultraman6970
04-20-2011, 06:29 PM
SW = Star Wars

hiljentaa
04-20-2011, 08:31 PM
Recently built up one of his frames. Nicely crafted and rides well! I didn't deal directly with him, though, so no input there. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.

buldogge
04-20-2011, 08:57 PM
I have a 1980's Gilmour Team Bike. It is currently my lightest classic steel build (19.1#...built up with Campy 10s Centaur and Nucleons).

It is a nice riding bike, but certainly not a cruiser. It was built for a light powerful rider (I am neither) so I can't comment on Andy's ability to build the right bike "for you". I have no doubt he can/will though...as someone else said, he has been at this for quite some time and is well regarded in the SW.

Pic is before tape and final adjustments, obviously...

-Mark in St. Louis

buldogge
04-21-2011, 03:53 PM
OK... So I've attached a pic, but it is prior to finishing touches/adjustments and sports a rear Proton.

-Mark

mwaldhopkins
04-21-2011, 04:23 PM
Historically, his frames have been very high quality and well liked- many of my friends and teammates from southern AZ rode them. I left Tucson about 10 years ago though so I don't know how, or if, things have changed. I'm glad to hear he's still building.

cnighbor1
04-21-2011, 06:35 PM
I love mine!!!!!!!!! It rides and handles great. Ask for photos
<cnighbor1@comcast.net>
Charles Nighbor

cnighbor1
04-21-2011, 06:49 PM
Andy Gilmour road frame 59cm Columbus SPX tubing Campy headset, BB - $400 (Brooklyn)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Date: 2011-04-19, 10:51AM EDT
Reply to: sale-ghgey-2334262717@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]

80s Andy Gilmour custom road frame. 57cm top tube, 59.5cm seat tube. Amazing builder out of Tuscon, AZ. Columbus SPX tubing. Great attention to detail - check out the fork lug slotting, cleeeeean lug work and seat cluster. Campy dropouts, 126mm rear spacing. Paint has some chips and scratches, but absolutely no dents anywhere. Campagnolo Record headset (freshly repacked) and Campagnolo Record BB included. 27.2mm seat tube diameter. Braze on FD hanger.

$400

JeremyS
04-21-2011, 06:50 PM
One of my friends is selling her 50cm Gilmour. She's just not into the DT shifting and vintagey nature of it all.

Pretty great little bike though.

zmudshark
04-21-2011, 08:21 PM
AZRider, I sent you a PM, but if you'd like to go look at one of his bikes and talk to the owner, who knows Andy, hit me up. I'd be happy to take you to see his bike and talk to a knowledgeable person. He's in Tempe, I'm in N PHX.

azrider
04-24-2011, 09:48 AM
AZRider, I sent you a PM, but if you'd like to go look at one of his bikes and talk to the owner, who knows Andy, hit me up. I'd be happy to take you to see his bike and talk to a knowledgeable person. He's in Tempe, I'm in N PHX.

Spent most of the weekend up in Prescott preping for next weekends Whiskey 50 so sorry for delay in getting back to you. I'd like to take you up on this offer so lets continue off the grid with PM. Thanks Z.

And thank you to others who've helped with their opin/sugg as far as Andy is concerned. I have no doubt the guy knows what he's doing and has been doing it long enough to garner a lot of respect.

Thanks again