PDA

View Full Version : Clement Strada LLG, First Impressions

Dave Wages
04-20-2011, 12:13 PM
I've been hearing about these tires for a while, and when I saw they were finally available, I ordered up a set of the 700 x 28c version. They're also made in a 23c, and 25c, and in either a wire bead with 60tpi, or kevlar bead with 120tpi (what I got).

Initial impressions are that they're pretty supple, not nearly as nice as a Vittoria Open Corsa, but also about 1/2 the price. Similar in feel to the Rubino Pro's 28's I've been using. Mounted on a HED C2 rim, they measure just about 27mm, so pretty close to spec. If it ever stops raining/snowing here, I'll ride them and tell ya what I think! :fight:

Cheers,
Dave

AngryScientist
04-20-2011, 12:19 PM
interesting, i always like to have more options.

are these classified as a standard clincher, or an "open-tubular" ?

in my experience, the open-tubular typed construction, a-la vittoria open corsas really ride quite a bit better than non ot's.

phcollard
04-20-2011, 12:45 PM
Yeah! A 700x28 tire that I did not know! Must try :)

Can you compare with say a Challenge Parigi-Roubaix? Is it as supple (read: thin)? Does the Clement has some kind of puncture protection?

I'm looking forward to reading your first impressions Dave!

phcollard
04-20-2011, 12:47 PM
And may I ask where you got those? Looks like they are hard to find.

Dave Wages
04-20-2011, 12:54 PM
They don't call them "open tubulars" and I wouldn't say this tire is nearly as supple and/or thin as either an Open Corsa or the Challenge Paris Roubaix. I think the Challenge's are also a tad wider than this one. It's also not nearly as expensive as those tires. If I had to guess, just based on how it feels in the hand and mounting it up, it's going to ride better than a Panaracer Pasela or any Conti tire, but slightly less nice than the Vittoria's or Challenge Paris Roubaix's.

As for flat protection, on the packaging they claim this tire has a "Protective Puncture Belt", but we'll see how it holds up. (and how they ride!)

Cheers,
Dave

Dave Wages
04-20-2011, 12:54 PM
And may I ask where you got those? Looks like they are hard to find.

I got them direct from QBP, but any shop should be able to order them for you if they have an account with QBP.

JeremyS
04-20-2011, 02:19 PM
I just ordered a set of the 120TPI in 700x25

phcollard
04-20-2011, 03:04 PM
I got them direct from QBP, but any shop should be able to order them for you if they have an account with QBP.

Thanks Dave. I'm going to ask oldpotatoe if he can get me a pair. Being in Canada I have to find a US reseller and I like the idea to support his little shop if he's willing to do this for me.

keevon
04-20-2011, 03:23 PM
Dave -

I'll be extremely interested to see how you like these. Thanks for sharing your initial impressions.

I'm strongly considering a pair of 25's for my race bike, once the Pro Optimum's I recently picked up wear out.

Dave Wages
04-22-2011, 07:25 AM
Well, I got out for a brief 25 mile ride yesterday as the temps were dropping from around 50 to the lower 40's with stiff little easterly breeze off the lake.

It was a bit hard to really tune into the tire's performance as I was struggling into this headwind, but here's my thoughts.

If a Vittoria Open Corsa CX is an 8 or 9 on a scale of 1 to 10, (hey, they are still clinchers, very nice clinchers!), then these are probably a 6.5. Definitely above average, but not earth shattering. Their upside is, less $$'s than the Vittoria's, and I personally like the 28c width, which Vittoria doesn't offer, they only go up to 25's.

Toward the end of my ride, I finally got a nice tailwind and as I sprinted up a small rise, I could hear the Clement's "singing" just a bit as I rocked the bike back and forth! Clearly, this is totally non-scientific, but that's all I got!

Cheers,
Dave

bumknees
04-22-2011, 07:35 AM
Thanks for the mini review -- good to know of other tire choices!

oldpotatoe
04-22-2011, 07:52 AM
I've been hearing about these tires for a while, and when I saw they were finally available, I ordered up a set of the 700 x 28c version. They're also made in a 23c, and 25c, and in either a wire bead with 60tpi, or kevlar bead with 120tpi (what I got).

Initial impressions are that they're pretty supple, not nearly as nice as a Vittoria Open Corsa, but also about 1/2 the price. Similar in feel to the Rubino Pro's 28's I've been using. Mounted on a HED C2 rim, they measure just about 27mm, so pretty close to spec. If it ever stops raining/snowing here, I'll ride them and tell ya what I think! :fight:

Cheers,
Dave

Normal retail $ is about $42-$45..OpenCX aren't $80+....

Dave Wages
04-22-2011, 08:09 AM
Normal retail $ is about $42-$45..OpenCX aren't $80+....

My bad, 2/3 the price, MSRP as follows;

Open Corsa CX's $74
Clement Strada LLG $50

oldpotatoe
04-22-2011, 09:13 AM
My bad, 2/3 the price, MSRP as follows;

Open Corsa CX's $74
Clement Strada LLG $50

Tires at keystone? Not around here.....not with MO, web sales...

BillG
04-22-2011, 09:39 AM
Dave,

Have you compared Challenge Parigi-Roubaix tires to the Vittorias?

fourflys
06-08-2011, 11:17 AM
Dave,
Any more input on the Clements?

Thanks,
Chris

Straz
06-08-2011, 12:27 PM
Based on Dave's review here, I picked up a pair of the 60tpi tires from Bikeman.com. Bikeman.com - Clement Strada LGG 60tpi - $31.99 (http://www.bikeman.com/TR3264.html)

I like to ride on roads that tend to have broken pavement and sections of dirt. In the past I have used Michelin ProRace 2s (23c), Continental GPs (25c), Specialized Armadillos (25c), Ritchey WCS (23c) and Vittoria Roubaixs (25c).

After 150 miles, I like the Clements a lot. While they are a little bit slower than a 25c tire, they certainly have added a lot of confidence when riding over broken pavement, dirt and one unplanned trip into the loose shoulder. So far no flats or sidewall blowouts (knock on wood). Also has a nice smooth ride.

Sidewall indicates 100-120 psi for these tires. I had them at 100 and found them to be a bit too stiff. Lowered them to 90 and life is good.

I hope they make it over the long haul. I've experienced way too many flats and blowouts of late.

Tim

FlashUNC
10-09-2012, 10:54 AM
Bumping this to see if anyone has any further impressions. Curious how the tires have held up.

Debating getting a set for when my current pair of tubies wear out.

GRAVELBIKE
10-09-2012, 11:07 AM
Dave,
Any more input on the Clements?

Thanks,
Chris

I should have some 28s on test soon.

danielpack22@ma
10-09-2012, 11:18 AM
I have a set of the 120 tpi 28s and I've had a flat on almost every ride. :eek:
Front tire, rear tire, smooth road, chip and seal, wet roads, dry roads, whatever... I replaced them with Michelin Pro 4s 25mm (measure 27mm on my C2 rims) and have not had a flat in the last 1000 or so miles.

dp

Bumping this to see if anyone has any further impressions. Curious how the tires have held up.

Debating getting a set for when my current pair of tubies wear out.

bcm119
10-09-2012, 11:50 AM
I've been riding a set of the 120 tpi 28's on my all-rounder/commuter bike. Have maybe 1000 miles on them, I've had 2 flats, both tiny wires that worked through. They measure a hair small, about 26.5 on open pro rims.

They ride fairly nicely; better than most Contis with the possible exception of the 4000S, but not as nice as a Michelin PR. The tread is sticky and grips well though, and the profile feels nice in corners.

Dave Wages
10-09-2012, 04:31 PM
I guess since I started this thread I'll throw my two cents in. I've had good luck with my 120tpi 28c folding Strada's, they wear well and I think I've had maybe one flat on them, but in the end I think I prefer the Vittoria Rubino II 28c's as they just seem to ride a bit nicer.

GRAVELBIKE
10-09-2012, 04:33 PM
I guess since I started this thread I'll throw my two cents in. I've had good luck with my 120tpi 28c folding Strada's, they wear well and I think I've had maybe one flat on them, but in the end I think I prefer the Vittoria Rubino II 28c's as they just seem to ride a bit nicer.

Do the Rubinos measure true-to-size?

bcm119
10-09-2012, 05:17 PM
I would add that the "keep inflated to 100-120 psi" on the sidewall is total BS. I run them at just over 80 psi (I'm 165 lbs), and they ride nice, with no problems even over high speed bumps. 100 psi would feel like a rock.

Slightly OT, but has anyone tried the Vittoria Rando Hypers in 32? Thinking of trying some. Heard a lot of good things about them.

fourflys
10-09-2012, 07:38 PM
I've been riding the Clements for a while now and really like them... I hear they are planning a 30mm version as well... I gotta say I'm real tempted to try the Challenge tires though...

that guy
10-09-2012, 09:35 PM
I have a ton of miles on the 700x28s. They ride really well, but don't seem to last super long.

skijoring
10-10-2012, 07:15 AM
I would add that the "keep inflated to 100-120 psi" on the sidewall is total BS. I run them at just over 80 psi (I'm 165 lbs), and they ride nice, with no problems even over high speed bumps. 100 psi would feel like a rock.

Slightly OT, but has anyone tried the Vittoria Rando Hypers in 32? Thinking of trying some. Heard a lot of good things about them.

Hypers are great tires - nice and round and cushy with good protection from flats and reasonable weight. 5 flaming chiles! :banana:

Dave Wages
10-10-2012, 09:38 AM
Do the Rubinos measure true-to-size?

I've had them mounted on HED C2 rims, and they measure maybe 27mm, so pretty close.

Dave

GRAVELBIKE
10-10-2012, 10:26 AM
Hypers are great tires - nice and round and cushy with good protection from flats and reasonable weight. 5 flaming chiles! :banana:

I have thousands of miles on 32 and 35mm Hypers. Very durable, and a nice, lively ride for how puncture-resistant they are. I wish they'd offer a 28mm version, though. Panaracer Paselas have a smoother ride, and cost less, but the Paselas' sidewalls aren't as durable as the Hypers'.