PDA

View Full Version : Help removing a stubborn tire

Bytesiz
04-20-2011, 10:48 AM
Hi All,

On my tandem bike I have mounted some Kenda Kwest Tandem tires on Sun Rhinolyte rims. I had a real hard time mounting these tires. The sidewall is VERY stiff. I broke a couple cheap tire levers getting them mounted. I wasn't until I used some soap and water and steelcore levers did I finally mount them. Maybe this was a bad idea... :crap:

Now I'm trying to change a tube that has a very slow leak. I cannot remove these tires! Those same steel core levers that got the tire on are now trashed.

Short of cutting these tires off, anyone have any ideas on how to remove them? I'm up for trying about anything. Thank goodness I haven't gotten a flat on the road yet.

Aaron

d_man16
04-20-2011, 10:54 AM
Aaron,

Have you tried some TL-5? there parks heavy duty tire levers they should get the job done for you.

~D

thegunner
04-20-2011, 10:55 AM
i've had decent luck taking a hair dryer and slightly warming the rubber prior to trying...? aside from that, if it's ruining steel levers, i'm not sure there is a good way to get them off!

bobswire
04-20-2011, 10:59 AM
i've had decent luck taking a hair dryer and slightly warming the rubber prior to trying...? aside from that, if it's ruining steel levers, i'm not sure there is a good way to get them off!

Ditto, warming the tire really helps. I don't know if you've noticed or had the opportunity to change a flat on the road but the tire is a lot easier to take off the rim once it heats up from riding.

DRietz
04-20-2011, 11:16 AM
Buy a Stan's shot.

Take valve core out of valve stem.

Splooch in Stan's shot.

Reinstall valve core.

Spin wheel to spread the Stan's.

Inflate.

Bytesiz
04-20-2011, 11:16 AM
Ditto, warming the tire really helps. I don't know if you've noticed or had the opportunity to change a flat on the road but the tire is a lot easier to take off the rim once it heats up from riding.

Hmmm.... didn't think about warming it. I have a heat gun (with a low setting) that would get the job done. I'll have to try that. Thanks.

RPS
04-20-2011, 11:17 AM
Short of cutting these tires off, anyone have any ideas on how to remove them? I'm up for trying about anything. Thank goodness I haven't gotten a flat on the road yet.

Aaron
Aaron, I'd cut them off. Seriously.

Even if you can get the flat fixed while at home, how are you going to fix the next one if it happens on the road. It's not worth it in my opinion. You might even damage one of the rims.

Buy yourself (and your stoker) a new set of tires that work right. It's a small price compared to the problems you may face miles from home.

Bytesiz
04-20-2011, 11:19 AM
Buy a Stan's shot.

Splooch in Stan's shot.

Reinstall valve core.

Inflate.

Ohhh... I like your thinking! Don't remove the tire... just fix the leak.

I have Stan's already and these are Schrader valves so the cores remove easily. I will do this tonight!

Bytesiz
04-20-2011, 11:23 AM
Aaron, I'd cut them off. Seriously.

Even if you can get the flat fixed while at home, how are you going to fix the next one if it happens on the road. It's not worth it in my opinion. You might even damage one of the rims.

Buy yourself (and your stoker) a new set of tires that work right. It's a small price compared to the problems you may face miles from home.

It is inevitable I suppose. I'm cheap and I hate the thought of cutting up $80 worth of tires. Reality sucks.

AngryScientist
04-20-2011, 11:38 AM
get yourself a downhill tire lever, made to take off stubborn rubber. pry away.

http://cycleloft.com/images/library/large/pedros_dh_trlvr_07_m.jpg

dave thompson
04-20-2011, 11:40 AM
Buy a Stan's shot.

Splooch in Stan's shot.

Reinstall valve core.

Inflate.
Splooch? A new word for my vocabulary. Thanks. :D

RPS
04-20-2011, 11:51 AM
It is inevitable I suppose. I'm cheap and I hate the thought of cutting up $80 worth of tires. Reality sucks.
Aaron, been there so I know what you mean; but I’d rather have cheap tires I can fix than sit on the side of the road because I’ve broken every tire lever trying to get a tire off.

Years ago I had a set of Michelin tires that were almost impossible to mount on my rims. Getting them off was just as hard. Being quite “frugal” myself I thought that if I struggled with them long enough they’d stretch enough to make them usable.

That plan went to hell when I flatted miles from base camp and even further from home. I broke every lever I had with me plus a couple more, and was stranded for almost an hour before a friend came by with metal levers and helped me. I would have gladly traded the more expensive Michelins for $10 Wal-Mart tires if it meant being able to fix a simple flat. It was a hard lesson to accept -- nice stuff that doesn’t work right isn’t all that nice if not reliable.

By the way, instead of cutting them off maybe you can remove them and sell them (or donate) to someone with different rims that work better. I just wouldn’t put them back on knowing the problems you could have while on a ride.

Bytesiz
04-20-2011, 12:01 PM
By the way, instead of cutting them off maybe you can remove them and sell them (or donate) to someone with different rims that work better. I just wouldn’t put them back on knowing the problems you could have while on a ride.

Yeah, that is what I'm thinking as well. I piked up some Pedros levers that seem strong, so I might give them a try after warming the tire and a little soap on the bead.

Now, I'll need to figure out what to replace these tires with... do I really need "tandem rated" tires?

RPS
04-20-2011, 01:28 PM
Now, I'll need to figure out what to replace these tires with... do I really need "tandem rated" tires?
Both of my tandems use 26-inch mountain-bike-size tires, and I buy “standard” MTB tires for road use. I’m not certain what “tandem rated” really means beyond a marketing label – I can only guess.

Sorry but I’m probably not a good source of information on this issue because my wife and I presently weigh about 255 combined – a little on the low side for tandem couples. Standard 26X1.0 or 26X1.25 tires serve us quite well. Larger teams and those traveling with heavy loads may have tire requirements I haven’t experienced or can relate to.

If you post your approximate team weight and tire size options someone may be able to give you suitable recommendations. My gut feeling is that as long as your tires are large enough to handle the combined weight without exceeding the rated tire pressure you should be OK.

veloduffer
04-20-2011, 01:35 PM
You need the VAR tire tool (http://cgi.ebay.com/VAR-Super-Tyre-Tire-Tool-New-/290542706683). It can take off and put on the toughest tires, like a Michelin on a Campy rim (well, not the 2010-11 rims). You can read about it here: http://randonneurextra.blogspot.com/2009/02/making-life-easier-var-tire-lever.html

Bytesiz
04-20-2011, 02:09 PM
You need the VAR tire tool (http://cgi.ebay.com/VAR-Super-Tyre-Tire-Tool-New-/290542706683). It can take off and put on the toughest tires, like a Michelin on a Campy rim (well, not the 2010-11 rims). You can read about it here: http://randonneurextra.blogspot.com/2009/02/making-life-easier-var-tire-lever.html

I've found this tool, but I have yet to see anyone explain how to use it to get a tire off the rim. Anything I have read, including your links, is how to mount the tire.

Bytesiz
04-20-2011, 02:12 PM
Both of my tandems use 26-inch mountain-bike-size tires, and I buy “standard” MTB tires for road use. I’m not certain what “tandem rated” really means beyond a marketing label – I can only guess.

Sorry but I’m probably not a good source of information on this issue because my wife and I presently weigh about 255 combined – a little on the low side for tandem couples. Standard 26X1.0 or 26X1.25 tires serve us quite well. Larger teams and those traveling with heavy loads may have tire requirements I haven’t experienced or can relate to.

If you post your approximate team weight and tire size options someone may be able to give you suitable recommendations. My gut feeling is that as long as your tires are large enough to handle the combined weight without exceeding the rated tire pressure you should be OK.

I'm on 26 inch tires too.

My stoker is my 10 year old daugther. Our team weight is 290, and in the interest of full disclosure, our tandem weighs almost 50 pounds. :rolleyes:

veloduffer
04-20-2011, 02:40 PM
I've found this tool, but I have yet to see anyone explain how to use it to get a tire off the rim. Anything I have read, including your links, is how to mount the tire.

The middle piece is a tire lever. It slides out and use it like any other lever; it's wider than most levers so it gives you more leverage and grip. The prong piece is for putting a tire on.

Another good tool for taking a tire off is the Quik Stik (http://www.californiabikegear.com/quikstik/public/home.php). It can not, though, help put on a tire.

Bytesiz
04-20-2011, 03:10 PM
The middle piece is a tire lever. It slides out and use it like any other lever; it's wider than most levers so it gives you more leverage and grip. The prong piece is for putting a tire on.

Another good tool for taking a tire off is the Quik Stik (http://www.californiabikegear.com/quikstik/public/home.php). It can not, though, help put on a tire.

Thank you!

RPS
04-20-2011, 04:23 PM
I'm on 26 inch tires too.

My stoker is my 10 year old daugther. Our team weight is 290, and in the interest of full disclosure, our tandem weighs almost 50 pounds. :rolleyes:
Is the tandem fairly new or old? Also, do you recall the exact size tires you had on the bike before you purchased the Kenda Kwest Tandem tires?

Just wondering if there is any chance, however remote, that you are using the wrong size tires. Seems odd they would be that hard to install and remove.

Bud_E
04-20-2011, 04:52 PM

I have one of these ( which I've had for probably 25 years )... and I've definitely used it to get stubborn tires on. The notch goes on the rim and you lever the tire on.

cp43
04-20-2011, 05:52 PM
Is the tandem fairly new or old? Also, do you recall the exact size tires you had on the bike before you purchased the Kenda Kwest Tandem tires?

Just wondering if there is any chance, however remote, that you are using the wrong size tires. Seems odd they would be that hard to install and remove.

I have a wheel with a sun CR-18 rim, which is similar to the Rhyno Lite. I have difficulty getting tires on to this rim. I think the issue is that the rim is very shallow. As you're mounting or removing a tire you try to push the bead of the tire into the channel in the middle of the rim to get some slack in the bead where you're trying to get it over that last bit of the rim. With a very shallow rim you can't get the rest of the bead into that channel, so you don't have much slack to deal with. With other wheels, and the same tires, i don't have nearly as much difficulty. My explanation probably isn't great, but hopefully it's good enough.

My guess would be that the OP is dealing with this issue, combined with a stiff tire. Having said that, checking that the tires are the right size is never a bad idea. :beer:

Chris

NHAero
04-20-2011, 06:15 PM
At least part of the issue, as CP43 says, is the Rhynolite rims. I have these on my Big Dummy and getting Nokian studded tires on required me breaking my VAR lever amongst other tools :-( I now use Minoura aluminum levers. CP43's explanation is good - the Rhynolite hasn't much depth to push the bead into.

RPS
04-20-2011, 06:22 PM
I have a wheel with a sun CR-18 rim, which is similar to the Rhyno Lite. I have difficulty getting tires on to this rim. I think the issue is that the rim is very shallow. As you're mounting or removing a tire you try to push the bead of the tire into the channel in the middle of the rim to get some slack in the bead where you're trying to get it over that last bit of the rim. With a very shallow rim you can't get the rest of the bead into that channel, so you don't have much slack to deal with. With other wheels, and the same tires, i don't have nearly as much difficulty. My explanation probably isn't great, but hopefully it's good enough.

My guess would be that the OP is dealing with this issue, combined with a stiff tire. Having said that, checking that the tires are the right size is never a bad idea. :beer:

Chris
My Cannondale tandem has Sun Rhino Lite rims in the 26-inch size and I’ve never had problems mounting tires.

Not knowing anything about the origin or age of his tandem, I wondered if the problem may not be due to different 26-inch sizes. It’s unlikely but possible if Sun made such rims. Of that I’m not sure.

From Sheldon Brown:
Does Point Seven Five Equal Three Quarters?
Note that the inch-based designations sometimes express the width in a decimal (26 x 1.75) and sometimes as a common fraction (26 x 1 3/4). This is the most common cause of mismatches. Although these size designations are mathematically equal, they refer to different size tires, which are NOT interchangeable. It is dangerous to generalize when talking about tire sizing, but I would confidently state the following:

Brown's Law Of Tire Sizing:
If two tires are marked with sizes that are mathematically equal,
but one is expressed as a decimal and the other as a fraction,
these two tires will not be interchangeable.

DRietz
04-20-2011, 06:41 PM
Splooch? A new word for my vocabulary. Thanks. :D

If you'd ever used a Stan's shot before, you'd understand my delirious diction. :D

I have gorilla hands, so when I squeeze the shot, all of the Stan's flies out with a less than comforting sound.

Bytesiz
04-20-2011, 08:31 PM

These are new wheels and the first set of tires I have tried. I will double check sizes though...just in case.