PDA

View Full Version : Water in tires...

pale scotsman
06-07-2005, 07:33 PM
Yep, it's that time of year again in good ol' lower alabama. It rains every freakin' day. Thunder showers, showers, and raining with the sun shining. Oh yeah it's humid too.

Well anyway the pale one has been stuck out in his share of torrential downpours that appear out of nowhere, and it seems his tires always get water in them. Just the other day I rode maybe 4 miles in a heavy shower and guess what; the tires were sloshing as I dried the bike in the stand. It happens in new tires, and old tires with cuts. Other than switching to tubulars is there anyway around this? I've been riding open pros for the last 3 years btw.

Thanks!

ada@prorider.or
06-07-2005, 07:57 PM
Yep, it's that time of year again in good ol' lower alabama. It rains every freakin' day. Thunder showers, showers, and raining with the sun shining. Oh yeah it's humid too.

Well anyway the pale one has been stuck out in his share of torrential downpours that appear out of nowhere, and it seems his tires always get water in them. Just the other day I rode maybe 4 miles in a heavy shower and guess what; the tires were sloshing as I dried the bike in the stand. It happens in new tires, and old tires with cuts. Other than switching to tubulars is there anyway around this? I've been riding open pros for the last 3 years btw.

Thanks!

yes put some cork on the spoke holes
to prevent water inlet an infalter tyres up to 9 bar's
and rub out side with vinegar

Marron
06-08-2005, 09:33 AM
Let me guess; your riding Open Pros, right? I've tried the above and other remedies but never seem to eliminate the problem of slosh in the rims and tires when it rains really hard. The only consulation is that even here in Seattle it isn't that wet that often.

ada@prorider.or
06-08-2005, 09:51 AM
Let me guess; your riding Open Pros, right? I've tried the above and other remedies but never seem to eliminate the problem of slosh in the rims and tires when it rains really hard. The only consulation is that even here in Seattle it isn't that wet that often.

well the you did not glue the cork correctly you have to do that with tube kit
i would see then if there come's water to the nipple hole
and a good tyre pressure

Too Tall
06-08-2005, 10:05 AM
That is a clever idea. Just to clarify you say to put small pieces of cork in the spoke holes with glue from the inside surface eg. under the rim strip?

ada@prorider.or
06-08-2005, 10:18 AM
That is a clever idea. Just to clarify you say to put small pieces of cork in the spoke holes with glue from the inside surface eg. under the rim strip?

yes
and a good bike shop sells thjose corks
i think would be hard in usa
as this seems that nobody knows
we have bags of them

pale scotsman
06-08-2005, 10:22 AM
About the cork, hmmmm... good idea. The pale one is eyeballing a roll of 3m electrical tape and wondering if he puts that down before the velox it ought to keep the water out.

ada@prorider.or
06-08-2005, 10:25 AM
About the cork, hmmmm... good idea. The pale one is eyeballing a roll of 3m electrical tape and wondering if he puts that down before the velox it ought to keep the water out.

probely heavier then cork and lifts the ground base of tyre wich is not good

Too Tall
06-08-2005, 12:27 PM
Paleone, I think that your idea will still let water into the space between rim surface and the inside rim...the area roughly shaped like a sewing thimble.

Ooo, how about a tiny dab of low volume insulating foam? It is very light weight, self sealing and waterproof. Izat an idea?

Ceebaby - are your corks mostly used by the cyclocross racers?

ada@prorider.or
06-08-2005, 03:55 PM
Paleone, I think that your idea will still let water into the space between rim surface and the inside rim...the area roughly shaped like a sewing thimble.

Ooo, how about a tiny dab of low volume insulating foam? It is very light weight, self sealing and waterproof. Izat an idea?

Ceebaby - are your corks mostly used by the cyclocross racers?

well this solution is about 70 years old in europe
track road cycle cross

Fixed
06-09-2005, 08:17 AM
Here is I what do, I have to ride everyday rain or shine for work I take the tires off and dry them when I get home about 10 min. time. I hope that helps,I know some guys with deep dish rims get water inside the rim that should not happen with o.p. .Cheers and good luck[ I'd take Ada's, advice since he is the real deal I am. ]