PDA

View Full Version : Montana

Stealth
04-19-2011, 03:59 PM
It looks like I am heading out to Montana with the family in late June and we will be staying in the Bozeman area. Any suggestions on things to do or see out there?

BumbleBeeDave
04-19-2011, 04:00 PM
. . . and Carl Strong and look at some really NICE bikes!

BBD

Karin Kirk
04-19-2011, 04:17 PM
Late June is one of the absolute nicest times of year out here. The peaks will still be white and the valleys will be green and velvety. The rivers will be overflowing (literally - floods are forecast for the spring).

Riding will be nice - will you have a bike? The mtb trails higher up are likely to still be snow-covered or at least muddy. A road ride up Hyalite Canyon is at the top of my list of favorite rides.

For family things, there are tons of hikes to choose from, camping, Yellowstone, the Museum of the Rockies (excellent dinosaurs).

Tell me more about what you are looking for and I can be more specific.

Ken Robb
04-19-2011, 06:42 PM
How about a nice home-cooked meal? :)

Louis
04-19-2011, 06:51 PM
I'd stay away from the Bozeman area if I were you. It might blow your cycling budget... ;)

MRB
04-19-2011, 09:47 PM
Depending on where you are from, I would think a family vacation to MT would not be complete without seeing Yellowstone.

Bozeman is about 80 miles from the west entrance and 80 miles from the north entrance. There are lots of loops and variations on a theme that you could do.

As far as weather goes, that is a coin toss; it could be epic, or it could be a monsoon. June is THE rainiest month in Montana, but Bozeman is much more arid than the part of MT that I live in.

MattTuck
04-20-2011, 09:03 AM
Drove across the country last year and stayed a full day around Bozeman. Actually just saw Dave Kirk's workshop and then went down to Yellowstone.

Also went McKenzie River Pizza, which was very good!

Enjoy!

While you're out there, I'd get the book, "the Big Burn".

MattTuck
04-20-2011, 09:05 AM
http://www.amazon.com/Big-Burn-Teddy-Roosevelt-America/dp/1441806946

There's the link for the audio. We listened to this as we drove through Montana and Idaho, absolutely amazing to be driving through the areas that were being discussed in the book!

That is the book on CD, btw.

merlinmurph
04-20-2011, 01:02 PM
After skiing Big Sky last winter (2010), I was sold on going back and visiting Yellowstone and Grand Teton. My wife and I went last Sept and absolutely loved it. We barely touched Montana, but hope to get back and see more.

Murph - way too many places to visit......

Climb01742
04-20-2011, 01:06 PM
the tetons as seen from jackson, wy are about as magnificent as mountains get. worth a drive if it works for you.

merlinmurph
04-20-2011, 03:50 PM
Drop. Dead. Gorgeous.

Take the Beartooth Highway, or better yet, ride it, while your family takes the car. :D

My wife and I would have liked to stay in Red Lodge at least one night, but already had a reservation on the other side in Cooke City.

buldogge
04-20-2011, 08:42 PM
Me and a buddy rode (motorcycles, VFR 800s) Beartooth (thru to Red Lodge) and then Chief Joseph after spending the night at a little cabin in Silver Gate, just outside the Yellowstone NE gate. Beautiful country...amazing scenery.

Would love to ride the descent from the top down to Red Lodge on a bicycle...after climbing from the west I suppose!

I don't think you can go wrong visiting the area...

Beautiful scenery, great hiking, chilly dips in mountain streams and lakes, decent roads (outside Yellowstone!), and reasonable food.

I'd certainly like to return...

-Mark in St. Louis

Fixed
04-20-2011, 08:50 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJN_uWaVRfo
cheers

bluekudu
04-20-2011, 11:49 PM
Check out the Emerson Grill for dinner. The Chopus sisters know how to chef it up!

http://www.emersongrill.com/

Fixed
04-21-2011, 08:33 AM
http://www.medorand.com/attractions.htm
north dakota but close and great mt bike course
cheers

, Hike or Ride the Maah Daah Hey Trail - The Maah Daah Hey Trail is a 120 mile hiking, horseback and mountain bicycle trail that traverses through the scenic and rugged badlands of North Dakota. The trail begins at Sully Creek State Park (3 miles south of Medora) and ends at the U.S. Forest Service CCC Campground in McKenzie County (20 miles south of Watford City).

noonan1970
04-21-2011, 07:23 PM
Chico Hot Springs is a pretty cool Place. Great Restaurant for dinner there too. It's about an 1.15 hr drive. Some great hikes right near there.

David Kirk
04-21-2011, 07:34 PM
You should have been here 1/2 hour ago - we had a very nice thunder-snow storm. Very nice.

Dave

Louis
04-21-2011, 07:58 PM
You should have been here 1/2 hour ago - we had a very nice thunder-snow storm. Very nice.

Anyone need any water? This is our forecast: