PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Up for Northeast Vietnam?

Joel
04-19-2011, 02:17 PM
Now this will be a trip! Northeast Vietnam, along the Chinese border up in the hills and over some pretty good looking mountain passes. Riding all the way to Ha Long Bay.

So my wife caved in and gave me a “belated 50th birthday hall pass” for this two week excursion. It looks just outstanding! Nice fall weather September 10 -23, 2011.

For the tour: http://www.spiceroads.com/tours/northeast_vietnam

A nice little pass to climb: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDT7a1DX-yc

New York Times: In Northern Vietnam, a Region of Beauty and Ethnic Traditions

One tiny little problem that I thought this august group might entertain. See, the minimum number of folks is two. My wife has no interest, my brother can’t get off, my dad laughed at me, several team mates are too scared, a certain forum member who shall remain nameless can’t make it either. :crap:

So, if any of you are interested and/or have friends who might be please pass this along!!

I’ll promise to post a good ride report.

Best,

Joel

(Hope this is ok to post - obviously no financial interest just merely wanting to ride :D )

soupless
04-20-2011, 10:16 AM
Joel-

I can't go with you, but I took a trip to Vietnam and it was very profound. It's beautiful, you're regarded as exotic in some places, the food is delicious, relatively inexpensive.

But we (we were a few guys just out of college with backpacks) kept running into vets who came back there for closure. That's what was so profound, that the very same ground that I was sunning myself in was home to a bloody, awful conflict that really reshaped our country. It was humbling to say the least.

do whatever it takes to go.

JMerring
04-20-2011, 10:35 AM
sorta ot, sorta not, but i'm on a vietnam war novel kick at the moment and can highly recommend matterhorn by karl marlantes and fields of fire by (senator) jim webb. both have piqued my interest in traveling to vietnam and will no doubt give me a perspective i wouldn't otherwise have had. both are very well written, too.

reading pointer - if you're not or never have been in the military, both books have a glossary at the end explaining military terms; helped with my reading of the books and fun to learn as well.

FlashUNC
04-20-2011, 10:48 AM
sorta ot, sorta not, but i'm on a vietnam war novel kick at the moment and can highly recommend matterhorn by karl marlantes and fields of fire by (senator) jim webb. both have piqued my interest in traveling to vietnam and will no doubt give me a perspective i wouldn't otherwise have had. both are very well written, too.

reading pointer - if you're not or never have been in the military, both books have a glossary at the end explaining military terms; helped with my reading of the books and fun to learn as well.

If you're on that kick, I'd highly recommend Philip Caputo's A Rumor of War. Just a stunning book to read about his days in the Marine Corps during the early days of Vietnam.

jeo99
04-20-2011, 11:04 AM
I love to travel! I love to ride my bike when I travel! I have been fortunate to have gone to many places around the world and in this country as well. There is still a lot to see here and I plan on seeing as much as I can. However, when I left 'Nam in December of '70 I swore never to return. I plan on keeping that promise as my closure(over used word) was leaving. Have a nice trip.

:beer:

P.S. I do have one regret. Jane Fonda came back with me.

JMerring
05-23-2011, 10:09 AM
If you're on that kick, I'd highly recommend Philip Caputo's A Rumor of War. Just a stunning book to read about his days in the Marine Corps during the early days of Vietnam.

thanks for recommending an excellent, if chilling, book. it, together with the other two i mentioned, should be required reading for all presidents, members of congress and anyone else who would blithely commit our troops to war just because.

rugbysecondrow
05-23-2011, 10:21 AM
thanks for recommending an excellent, if chilling, book. it, together with the other two i mentioned, should be required reading for all presidents, members of congress and anyone else who would blithely commit our troops to war just because.

To continue the OT JMerring, the book, Dear American, Letters home from Vietnam. http://www.amazon.com/Dear-America-Letters-Home-Vietnam/dp/0671617508/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1306163939&sr=8-4

This should be required reading as well.

jeo99
05-23-2011, 10:59 AM
Attached maybe of some interest as they are from people either been or going to 'Nam: Crazyguyonabike.com

http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/?o=RrzKj&doc_id=7529&v=BU

http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/classifieds/?o=RrzKj&classified_id=2407&v=2

http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/locales/?o=RrzKj&locale_id=233&doctype=journal

FlashUNC
05-23-2011, 11:05 AM

Glad you enjoyed it, though I'm not sure enjoyed is the right word to use for that sort of memoir.

oldpotatoe
05-23-2011, 11:26 AM

10,000 Day War, can't remember the author.

I've read quite a few, all are great,

Everything we had-Santoli

Bury Us Upsidedown

Some about Rolling Thunder and Linebacker 1 and 2.

Some others

BillG
05-23-2011, 11:31 AM
That sounds fantastic. I've always wanted to cycle Vietnam. I wonder if the SO is up for it, I'll ask.

oldpotatoe
05-23-2011, 11:47 AM

Starting with perhaps Teddy Roosevelt and of course, Eisenhower and then Kennedy, who really got us into VietNam.

Joel
05-23-2011, 06:43 PM
BillG

It does look like this trip is on!

Someone else signed up, but I'm not sure who it is. The tour organizer said it is someone from USA but I have not had time to check back.

Joel
06-21-2011, 07:42 AM
Taking the liberty of bumping this.

Turns out the other party on the tour cancelled. :crap:

And now the trip needs one other person to sign up in order for it to "go".

So, if any you forumites are interested or have friends who might be interested please pass this along.

Feel free to PM me too...

Rather desperately hoping someone else signs up,

Joel

Lovetoclimb
06-21-2011, 08:35 AM
Looks amazing. I would seriously enjoy biking Vietnam but unfortunately my adventure would require a more stringent budget. If I could afford the plane fare over there it would likely see me staying for month(s)

Has anyone seen the UK Top Gear episode where they rode South to North Vietnam on motos? One of my favorite episodes and really showcased the country.

SoCalSteve
06-21-2011, 08:47 AM
Looks amazing. I would seriously enjoy biking Vietnam but unfortunately my adventure would require a more stringent budget. If I could afford the plane fare over there it would likely see me staying for month(s)

Has anyone seen the UK Top Gear episode where they rode South to North Vietnam on motos? One of my favorite episodes and really showcased the country.

Great episode, for sure! What a beautiful country!