PDA

View Full Version : Heir to Nutella Fortune, Dies at 47 While on Cycling Run

kaze
04-19-2011, 11:43 AM
Sad news, suspected heart attack while riding @ age 47. Sounds like he was a serious cyclist…

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/04/19/business/19ferrero.html

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-04-18/pietro-ferrero-family-heir-ceo-dies-in-south-africa-accident.html

csm
04-19-2011, 08:35 PM
I saw this. only cuz my wife and kid started eating nutella recently did it even catch my eye on the news feed.

gendo
04-19-2011, 10:08 PM
Sounds like he was a good one and will be missed. Most anyone who digs Nutella and bikes is OK in my book. Very sad for his family.

MattTuck
04-20-2011, 09:11 AM
Not much of a fan of nutella, but sounds like a good guy.

Guess it should remind us that being in good shape on the bike doesn't always mean you're healthy. I should schedule my once a decade physical.

redir
04-20-2011, 10:07 AM
Sounds like he was a good one and will be missed. Most anyone who digs Nutella and bikes is OK in my book. Very sad for his family.
No doubt Nutella and Bikes go hand in hand in my book, excellent race day food! Ah well such is life.

goonster
04-20-2011, 10:14 AM
A former teammate of Jan Ullrich once shared an anecdote in which Der Kaiser warmed a jar of Nutella in the microwave and then drank its contents in one go.

(That is pretty much my favorite story ever about the eccentricities of a PRO)

Sad to hear about Mr. Ferrero's untimely passing. The company also produces the Kinder line of chocolates, so I have consumed quite a bit of their products in my euro-childhood.

echappist
04-20-2011, 04:06 PM
my team will be toasting to him this weekend. With Nutella on toast, of course

RPS
04-20-2011, 04:46 PM
Guess it should remind us that being in good shape on the bike doesn't always mean you're healthy.
Or in other sports. Earlier this week Grete Waitz died at 57, after fighting cancer for six years.

BlackTiBob
04-20-2011, 05:03 PM
"A former teammate of Jan Ullrich once shared an anecdote in which Der Kaiser warmed a jar of Nutella in the microwave and then drank its contents in one go."

I don't have a Nutella jar in front of me but it specifically states that it should not be warmed up/ not warmed up in a microwave. Anybody know why?

Also, how is it health wise? I think it contains a lot of palm oil and I'm just guessing that is not a good fat. Anybody know?

legacysti888
04-20-2011, 05:43 PM
Huh.

Had my Nutella and peanut butter sandwich with Kona Coffee for breakfast this morning when I heard about this as well. Felt sad about the news but happy to have had my Nutella this morning!

Grew up with that and Ovaltine.... :rolleyes:

Bruce K
04-20-2011, 06:19 PM
All I can say is my all time favorite/best post race food was after a very cold, wet, and muddy cross race in Gloucester a couple of years ago, Anthony Maietta (yes, he of custom steel bike fame) walked up to me right after I finished and handed me a freshly made waffle covered in about a 1/4" of Nutella.

I honestly cannot remember anything that tasted so good at the moment as that lovely snack. It made me a Nutella fan for life.

BK

goonster
04-21-2011, 10:15 AM
I don't have a Nutella jar in front of me but it specifically states that it should not be warmed up/ not warmed up in a microwave. Anybody know why?
Safety hazard. The paste will heat unevenly, and may spatter/splash when removed. Also, the plastic container is not designed to hold hot oils.

You have to be an experienced PRO to do this safely, and it has to be a German-market glass jar!

54ny77
04-21-2011, 10:22 AM
Had a Nutella, fresh strawberry & banana crepe for dessert last night in his honor.

Rest in peace.

zap
04-21-2011, 10:24 AM
Sad to hear about Mr. Ferrero's untimely passing. The company also produces the Kinder line of chocolates, so I have consumed quite a bit of their products in my euro-childhood.

Tic Tacs too.

Read about his death in the WSJ. Wonder what caused him to crash.

Fixed
04-21-2011, 10:32 AM
Or in other sports. Earlier this week Grete Waitz died at 57, after fighting cancer for six years.
thats terrible i am sad to hear that
i raced her once she fell down and still beat me by 10 minutes in a 15 k. i had dinner with her afterwards at the v.i.p. dinner i thought she was cool and nice .

cheers g.w.

kaze
04-21-2011, 11:53 AM
Tic Tacs too.

Read about his death in the WSJ. Wonder what caused him to crash.

Suspected heart attack but the autopsy report hasn't been released yet…

http://www.allvoices.com/contributed-news/8850630-pietro-ferrero-cause-of-death-still-not-known

MadRocketSci
04-21-2011, 12:04 PM
"A former teammate of Jan Ullrich once shared an anecdote in which Der Kaiser warmed a jar of Nutella in the microwave and then drank its contents in one go."

Also, how is it health wise? I think it contains a lot of palm oil and I'm just guessing that is not a good fat. Anybody know?

iirc the original nutella just used hazelnut oil...which was expensive...

so they went with the cheap partially hydrogenated stuff...which is full of trans-fats...

then trans-fats started getting banned, so they switched to palm oil in 2008. Palm oil is less nasty than the hydrogenated transfats but it is still very high in saturated fats. Some say it's ok if it's not animal based, others say all sat fats suck.

bheight1
04-21-2011, 02:41 PM
iirc the original nutella just used hazelnut oil...which was expensive...

so they went with the cheap partially hydrogenated stuff...which is full of trans-fats...

then trans-fats started getting banned, so they switched to palm oil in 2008. Palm oil is less nasty than the hydrogenated transfats but it is still very high in saturated fats. Some say it's ok if it's not animal based, others say all sat fats suck.

I don't have a jar in front me but if its Palm kernel oil, it is indeed highly saturated 82% by comparison Coconut oil is 92% and butter is 54% (animal w/cholesterol), but if its Palm fruit oil, it is 51% saturated and not that bad. I'm of the opinion that if one has borderline/high cholesterol, which I do, all fats suck, and the latest trends of coconut based products is a good example of labeling/false security for those watching lipids. Coming from the N&O Foods industry, big issue with Palm is that most is not sustainably harvested. My favorite Nutella use is a buckwheat crepe with fresh strawberries/chantilly! RIP Mr Ferrero.

avalonracing
04-21-2011, 02:53 PM
Bummer. I don't like it when anyone drops but when it is people trying to stay in shape it is a real downer. Meanwhile people too fat to see their knees keep lining up at the drive-trough window.

avalonracing
04-21-2011, 02:54 PM
Tic Tacs too.

Ah... Tic Tacs. Another great racing food source. It's been said that during the The Tour some riders eat 4000 Tic Tacs a day.

anthony.maietta
04-26-2011, 09:19 PM
All I can say is my all time favorite/best post race food was after a very cold, wet, and muddy cross race in Gloucester a couple of years ago, Anthony Maietta (yes, he of custom steel bike fame) walked up to me right after I finished and handed me a freshly made waffle covered in about a 1/4" of Nutella.

I honestly cannot remember anything that tasted so good at the moment as that lovely snack. It made me a Nutella fan for life.

BK

That was a miserable day weather wise...but those waffles were out of this world!

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3432/3980237694_b5ce1af411_b.jpg