PDA

View Full Version : BB going out, replace or upgrade

tuxbailey
04-19-2011, 09:19 AM
I have the 10 sp Chorus using the square tapered BB. Although it spins smoothly when I pedal, I hear a click and feel a slip when I start from stop. I think it is a sign that the BB is on its way out.

Would you:

- Buy a new/used BB? (the responsible way)

- Look for a deal in the 10sp UT crank? :D

BTW, How much more life does my current BB have? That will determine how fast I need to acquire parts...

AngryScientist
04-19-2011, 09:22 AM
I have the 10 sp Chorus using the square tapered BB. Although it spins smoothly when I pedal, I hear a click and feel a slip when I start from stop. I think it is a sign that the BB is on its way out.

Would you:

- Buy a new/used BB? (the responsible way)

- Look for a deal in the 10sp UT crank? :D

i personally love the simplicity of the UT cranks, that would be my vote, i'm pretty sure you'll save some weight too. as you probably know, 11-sp cranksets work perfectly with 10-sp drivetrains. i'm running an alloy athena 11-sp crank on my Merlin for >4000 miles now, trouble free.

TMB
04-19-2011, 09:24 AM
A switch to UT is not an upgrade.

Get a new BB and be happy you have the best system there is.

tuxbailey
04-19-2011, 09:27 AM
A switch to UT is not an upgrade.

Get a new BB and be happy you have the best system there is.

UT is not an upgrade?

hmm, I need to start hoarding 102mm Campy BBs then :)

PS. Not that I doubt as I don't have in-depth knowledge in this subject, but why is UT inferior to seal cartridge BBs?

ultraman6970
04-19-2011, 09:39 AM
U can buy the token one for maybe a half of a campy one. Good stuff.

tuxbailey
04-19-2011, 09:42 AM
U can buy the token one for maybe a half of a campy one. Good stuff.

This one?

http://www.brinvo.com/p-678-token-road-bikes-bicycles-bottom-bracket-bb-campy-campagnolo-68-x-102-mm-english-thread-cycles.aspx

Thanks for the recommendation.

PSC
04-19-2011, 09:44 AM
Or for about the same price as a Chorus BB you can get a Phil Wood. About $90 at Lickbikes.

ultraman6970
04-19-2011, 09:50 AM
Yes. dont let the price get you, are pretty good, buy two and u'll be set for the next 10 years :P

If u feel it tight, are just two rubber seals in the cups that need to worn out. Campy ones when new do not spin as good also, with the time they get better.

This one?

http://www.brinvo.com/p-678-token-road-bikes-bicycles-bottom-bracket-bb-campy-campagnolo-68-x-102-mm-english-thread-cycles.aspx

Thanks for the recommendation.

David Kirk
04-19-2011, 09:55 AM
Before doing anything I would pull both crank arms off and give the spindle a spin with your fingers. If it's smooth and not grinding or notchy I'd say your issue is elsewhere. If it feels like crap then replace it.

dave

tuxbailey
04-19-2011, 10:00 AM
Before doing anything I would pull both crank arms off and give the spindle a spin with your fingers. If it's smooth and not grinding or notchy I'd say your issue is elsewhere. If it feels like crap then replace it.

dave

Thanks. I will do that first.

weiwentg
04-19-2011, 10:06 AM
FYI, if it really is the BB, I have a 102mm Chorus English threaded BB with little use. I got vain and upgraded to Phil Wood :crap: I did mess up the drive side notches, but I believe the DS cup is replaceable.

srice
04-19-2011, 12:37 PM
FYI, if it really is the BB, I have a 102mm Chorus English threaded BB with little use. I got vain and upgraded to Phil Wood :crap: I did mess up the drive side notches, but I believe the DS cup is replaceable.

Yes, it is really easy to remove the drive side cup. I've done it by opening a vise so that the bottom bracket body fits between the jaws and the edges of the cup sit on top of the jaws. A couple of light taps with a wooden mallet on the end of the spindle and the cup is off.