PDA

View Full Version : Campy 6speed Compatability

Lovetoclimb
04-19-2011, 09:14 AM
I am going to attempt to put a mid 80s Campagnolo 6 speed gruppo on a Surly Cross Check. Will the cassette and rear derailleur work on a pair of Fulcrum Racing 5 wheels, assuming the need for some sort of spacer . . . ?

If not what do I need to change? Wheels? Or Rear end, ie 9/10 speed?

thanks

130R
04-19-2011, 09:42 AM
6 speed is freewheel.... not a cassette.

also the wheel is going to be spaced for 125 or 126 if you want to use a 6 speed compatible wheel.

ultraman6970
04-19-2011, 09:47 AM
Cassette??? 6 speed cassette??

No, it wont work in those wheels at all. U have to use a campy 10 speed cassette with those wheels. The issue with that is that the RD wont have enough travel to use the 10 speeds, but you might be able to get away with 7.

All the other stuff should work just fine.

Good luck.

Ken Robb
04-19-2011, 10:26 AM
I have a 7 speed freewheel 1981 Nuovo Record group and it all works fine but I only run it with 126mm Record hubs on Mavic MA-3 rims which look kind of "period correct". Are the Fulcrums like that or are they "modern" look?

Lovetoclimb
04-19-2011, 10:34 AM
My friend who has the parts says he does not have a cassette or a freewheel and he thinks it is an 8 speed gruppo, the tube shifters being made for that . . . Looks like I am will just stick to 9/10 speed and use the Fulcrum wheels instead of worrying about replacing those.

oldpotatoe
04-19-2011, 10:57 AM
I am going to attempt to put a mid 80s Campagnolo 6 speed gruppo on a Surly Cross Check. Will the cassette and rear derailleur work on a pair of Fulcrum Racing 5 wheels, assuming the need for some sort of spacer . . . ?

If not what do I need to change? Wheels? Or Rear end, ie 9/10 speed?

thanks

Get yourself a 9s Campagnolo loose cog cogset(Veloce), use the black spacers from a 8s cogset(I have them, 9s cogsets as well)..build the cogset you want with 6 cogs, spacers onto the freehub first, space it so it takes up the whole freehub.

You don't 'have to use a 10 or 11s cogset'.....

6 speed indexing? Same spacing as 8s..if it's friction, use any cogset you want.

oldpotatoe
04-19-2011, 11:00 AM
My friend who has the parts says he does not have a cassette or a freewheel and he thinks it is an 8 speed gruppo, the tube shifters being made for that . . . Looks like I am will just stick to 9/10 speed and use the Fulcrum wheels instead of worrying about replacing those.

Veloce 9s cogset, 8 choosen cogs, 8s spacers, install, adjust RD and bob's yer uncle. Done it many times on older 8s systems w/o a Campagnolo 8s rear wheel.