PDA

View Full Version : A Healing Hand

weisan
06-07-2005, 01:20 PM
Sorry Tall-pal, I am **borrowing** your trademark for a sec. As some of you already know, I had a spill last week (http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=8795) where I helped the City of Austin tested the integrity of their asphalt using my left cheek and also completed a highly accurate spoke-tension measurement for cees-pal using my left wrist.
After a week of rest, I am back at work, and (here's the best part) I am planning to get back on the bike in a couple of days (I can't wait ANYMORE!!!)

Looking at my left wrist, I can still see some "greenish-blue" bruises on the inside and it still hurts if I try to move it to a certain angle. At the ER, the X-ray showed no broken bones and the doc asked me to put on a velcro strap to restrict movement, other than that, he just said, "Go home and rest."

I am concerned about the long-term effect this accident might have on my wrist. If there anything special I should be doing or paying attention to NOW, rather than later...to safeguard the future flexibility/use of my wrist. I would like to hear it from my very knowledgeable serotta pals.

BTW: Cees-pal, how's the "head", does it think straighter now with the neural pathways re-arranged a little bit for you...are we gonna see a breakthru' in those wheels (on the price) anytime soon? :D

weisan

Ozz
06-07-2005, 03:42 PM
lots of bones, nooks and crannies in your hand and wrist that make it tough to reduce the swelling quickly. If there are not broken bones, this is probably what is causing the pain. Lots of nerves run thru your wrist also...making any type of swelling noticeable.

Ice after you ride will help prevent any new swelling....

I'm not a doctor or medic....just spent a lot of time with orthopaedic docs with my own problems......

weisan
06-07-2005, 03:53 PM
Ice after you ride will help prevent any new swelling....

Thanks Ozz-pal. You already know...I can't wait to ride...even before the swelling comes down. Call me foolhardy but I thought if anyone would understand how I feel, my Serotta-pals would...{tears welling in my eyes, quiet sobbing} :o

tbushnel
06-07-2005, 06:27 PM
I think I would agree with what Ginger said, "Keep an eye on your wrist. Breaks aren't necessarily apparent with the first Xray". If you haven't already, it might be a good idea to follow-up with your primary doctor to make sure you don't in fact have a fracture that may warrant further treatment or at least monitoring to ensure proper healing.
Obviously free advise is worth what you pay for it, but just something to think about.
Ted.
:)

weisan
06-08-2005, 07:56 AM
Ted-pal, thank you for your encouragement and thanks for reminding me about Ginger's excellent advice, I almost forgot, my bad.

Anyhow...I just want to let my pals know that my hand had "miraculously" become so much better overnight. I am telling the honest truth here, no more jesting, so please believe me. Since I posted this thread yesterday, I took off the velcro cast (very uncomfortable) to allow more "air" and "easy movement", took the vitamin C pill and went to sleep. I woke up this morning, and experienced a "noticeable" improvement in terms of pain index, the swelling, and the blueish-black is less obvious.

I don't know which of you is secretly applying the "miracle balm" but it WORKS !!! ....so my heartfelt thanks to all who showed so much love and concern during this "trying" period of my life. ;)

weisan

-----------------------------------------
"The prayer of a righteous man is powerful and effective."
- James 5:16

Ginger
06-08-2005, 08:32 AM
Weisan,
Glad to hear the inflammation in the wrist is calming. Are you still taking anti-inflammitories? (I prefer fish oil...) The wrist I landed on back in 2000 still causes me issue to this very day. Nothing was broken, I just landed on an outstretched arm, impacting the wrist. Keep in mind it might be the drugs talking. Take it easy on your wrist and don't do any long miles too soon...ok? I'd give it two full days of feeling good before I stressed it. But that's me.

Ginger

Ginger's Healing Timeline (based on personal experience, your mileage may vary)
Blisters (I usually don't get them): 4-7 days
Cuts and Bruises/joint inflammation: 7-14 days
Bone bruises, soft tissue strains/pulls: 6-10 weeks...The magic week seems to be week 5...things just feel "better" but still have some healing to do.
Orthopedic Surgery Recovery: 6 months to 2 years.
CHI: 3-5 years

weisan
06-08-2005, 09:33 AM
Dear Ginger,

You are sweet. Thanks for sharing the knowledge of your healing process with your buddies here.

Now that you mentioned, I was taking fish oil of late...erh..since last week but for a different reason (after CycleHeart-pal's heart issue thread reminded of hereditary heart problem in the family history.) Honestly, I didn't know that fish oil has anti-inflammatory property....but come to think of it...not hard to imagine why and how. :D

Thank you sweetheart!

weisan

Ginger
06-08-2005, 09:35 AM
Weisan;
Do a search on the old forum for fish oil. I think there were explanations from Kane on why it works and how much to take.

It's good stuff.

Mary Ann

weisan
06-08-2005, 09:51 AM
I found Kane's previous post (http://forums.thepaceline.net/showpost.php?p=76943&postcount=5) on the subject.

Unknowingly, I was doing what he suggested for the last week or so. On top of the fish oil (http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?prodid=20007&whse=&topnav=&cat=&s=1) I was taking, I am also taking a Joint Strengthener (http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?prodid=10029413&whse=&topnav=&cat=&s=1) product from Costco that contains both Glucosamine and Chondroitin.

Kane said they are both anti-inflammatory.

And by the way, not to play down on the power of prayers because then I would be doing a great disservice to many friends who are also praying for me. I know them well and I know their prayers are POWERFUL & EFFECTIVE!!!

I guess I am getting a double dosage of prayers + the right medicinal stuff...thus the quick recovery. Praise be to God. :p

weisan

weisan
06-08-2005, 10:37 AM
I've got about four patches of newly-minted skin on the face. I was warned by no less than five people in less than two days: "Make sure you don't expose yourself to the sun." Not exactly what I want to hear...b'cos Jimmy here is planning to get back on the bike right the minute he can and he lives in the ever-scotching state of Texas where the sun gets up high as early as 7 am in June.

As a way to alleviate the wife's concerns, I told her I will start my ride at first dawn (maybe earlier if she allows it) and ride not more than 3 hours, meaning I will get home before 9...but still by then the sun is up...so I promise her I will wear this:

http://militarysurplusstore.com/Merchant2/R5505L.jpg

two problems I see there: I won't go further than 2 miles before the cop stops me for an ID check....second, it's freakin' oven-3000 degree F in there...what should I do?

Ginger
06-08-2005, 11:24 AM
Zinc?

The Ride magazine has a picture of the TDF leader (ages ago) with heavy creams on his face due to a previous crash.

Give your doc a call and see what they come up with. I think something used by lifeguards to avoid sun burn would be a good call. Be careful to be kind to your new skin and don't dry it out!

weisan
06-08-2005, 11:30 AM
Thanks Mary Ann. I will check into that.

A couple of overly concerned individuals told me: "No coming under the sun for six weeks"... I thought they were C-R-A-Z-Y. :p

Ginger
06-08-2005, 11:32 AM
I think they're close...don't wuss out in the name of being fashionable.

AND HEY! Your wife is letting you get back on the bike!
Congratulations!