PDA

View Full Version : Rear der won't line up. UPDATE

vqdriver
04-18-2011, 10:33 PM
The upper pulley on a red rear der won't line up with the smallest cog. I can get it just inside the second cog but no way it's going all the way the the smallest. A SRAM rep said some ti dropouts are not the 7-8mm thickness they designed around. so i checked that but it looks pretty beefy to me. I don't have calipers but certainly no thinner than my other bikes.

I've backed out the limit screw (yes the correct one) and removed cleaned and reinstalled the derailleur. Same thing. Eyeballing the dropout from the rear it looks dead straight. I suppose it could be bent a smidge imperceptible to me but it wouldnt cause the pulley alignment to be off this much. Ideas?

FlashUNC
04-18-2011, 10:38 PM
Had a similar issue with a Veloce 10 spd derailleur that was fixed with a thorough cleaning in a parts scrubber. The accumulated gunk (a highly technical term I know) was throwing everything out of alignment.

If you've cleaned it and eliminated everything else, it might be a frame issue.

Tried another RD on there to see if that's the problem?

benner
04-19-2011, 12:42 AM
Is there any chance that the _other_ limit screw it hitting when the derailleur is all the way over to the right? I have had this happen to me (I don't think I dreamed it). It sounds weird, but it's an easy thing to check.

Good luck.

TimmyB
04-19-2011, 01:22 AM
Is the housing for the rear shifter cable too short? If the bend's too sharp it could be enough to mess with things.

Also, I'm assuming your cassette was installed properly / with the correct spacers?

cole91
04-19-2011, 02:18 AM
Is the housing for the rear shifter cable too short? If the bend's too sharp it could be enough to mess with things.

Also, I'm assuming your cassette was installed properly / with the correct spacers?

+1 on the too short cable. Thats been my case before.

vqdriver
04-19-2011, 03:05 AM
I tried it with the cable disconnected and in it's "natural" state after I did the removal/reinstall thing.

I'll try another derailleur next. As well as a washer to space the mounting bolt out - as the SRAM dude suggested.

Keep the ideas comin

oldpotatoe
04-19-2011, 07:39 AM
I tried it with the cable disconnected and in it's "natural" state after I did the removal/reinstall thing.

I'll try another derailleur next. As well as a washer to space the mounting bolt out - as the SRAM dude suggested.

Keep the ideas comin

Try a different der. I've seen more than a few sram rear ders where the top bolt(attach to frame bolt) was defective, not allowing the rear der to far enough outboard. Warranty, they are good at that. .

vqdriver
04-24-2011, 01:37 PM
update:

both seven and sram replied to emails with the advise to use a small spacer in between the mounting bolt and the hanger. they were both aware of this being an issue. not common, but not infrequent either.

fwiw, i did try another derailleur and it had no problems, so i'm confident that the hanger itself is fine.

so i headed out the the home depot and picked up a few washers. i ended up using a thicker one than i had hoped to use, but it works fine now.

kind of an odd problem if you ask me. you'd think a whole lot of sevens would have sram on em.

http://i743.photobucket.com/albums/xx74/ekkthree/seven/RDwasher.jpg

sean
04-24-2011, 02:29 PM
Home Depot?!?! Are you sure the UCI would approve?

Glad you fixed the issue, RD's can be a huge pain in the ass!

Vientomas
04-24-2011, 02:35 PM
I hope you have enough of the bolt threads left exposed to make a good connection with the hanger.