PDA

View Full Version : Covering up saddle to roof rack transport

Smiley
06-07-2005, 03:17 AM
Any good ideas for covering a saddle for top roof rack transport on my bike frame. I don't want to pop the saddles/posts off the seat tubes unless its really pouring rain , then I'd have to plug the seat tube some how . I am thinking of covering my saddles with saran wrap and then wraping them to form with heavy Aluminum foil . Just a plastic bag will flag in the wind at + 70 mph and get torn ? Any other suggestions. Saratoga here we come 3 bikes and a Tandem :banana:

William
06-07-2005, 04:50 AM
Any good ideas for covering a saddle for top roof rack transport on my bike frame.

A.) Shrink wrap & hair dryer
B.) Plastic bag & wrap in Duct Tape (it ain't going any where).
C.) Have Sandy sit on your bike all the way to the factory.

A+B are more economical (you have to feed Sandy. Then don't forget the potty breaks :rolleyes: ).

Just my -$.02.

William ;)

djg
06-07-2005, 08:04 AM
Seems like the right plastic bag and a large rubber band could keep things dry--a little trial and error ought to show the way to a non-flapping arrangement.

Fizik provides a fitted plastic bag, at least with the Aliante, but that might not help you. I've also noticed all manner of aftermarket saddle covers out there. I haven't had a really close look, but it seems that some of them are neoprene and some version or other ought to be waterproof.

Kevan
06-07-2005, 08:09 AM
plastic bag from grocery and electrical tape. Apply tape around post and over bagged saddle so as to keep plastic in place during high speed driving. Woiks perfectly.

For roof top: I will also stretch my bike bra over the plastic to finalize the prep.

Ozz
06-07-2005, 08:14 AM
get a "bike bra"...I have one from Yakima and the part that covers the seat is coated to be water proof. The rest is just heavy lycra to keep bugs off your bike....otherwise, I'd go with a heavy duty freezer bag, and wrap with an old tube to keep in place.

Spinner
06-07-2005, 08:40 AM
what about a vinal saddle cover? these used to be readily available although I haven't shopped for one in some time.

Smiley
06-07-2005, 08:44 AM
The saddles in question are expensive Brooks leather saddles , thats why they need to be water proof .

ClutchCargo
06-07-2005, 09:48 AM
- use a bag with whatever thickness will keep the water out, pull it tight and duct tape around the seatpost. no flapping.

here's a question, though. a friend of mine claims that the air pressure created by the bike travelling 70 - 80 mph has the potential to displace grease from the headset and bottom bracket, so he will cover those places on the bike with clear packing tape (actually, he prefers to keep the bike inside the car :) ). anybody know if he is he for real??

CC Rider

[QUOTE=Smiley]Any good ideas for covering a saddle for top roof rack ...

Kevan
06-07-2005, 10:32 AM
bikes have been dragged on roofs a long time and there's no such major warnings about the situation.

I did however buy a bra and it does keep the bugs, grime and flying pebbles from bothering the frame. It too will reduce the apparent wind.

weisan
06-07-2005, 10:53 AM
Reading this thread reminded me of a foolish mistake I made almost 10 years ago. I just bought a brand new mountain bike from an online auction site over the Internet. Back then, it's soooo cheeeap because people are still leery about buying stuff online less an auction site. I was the only bidder and ended up paying only the start price (<$50). A week later, we got invited to stay at a friend's house up in the beach on Memorial Day weekend. So, we loaded up the bike on the roof rack...and here's where I goof...for "the sake of convenience", I left the childseat behind attached to the back of the bike. About 10 miles down the road on a busy highway, we heard a big "thumb", felt like something had fell off the back. We turned back our heads and saw my brand new bike (still with the childseat attached) about 20 meters behind lying on the road. All traffic on that lane came to a stop. Fortunately for us, it so happened that the car behind was a slow coach and had kept a good distance away, so they were not hit by the bike. As we tried to figure out what happened, it suddenly dawned on us that the childseat had acted as a sail and yanked the whole bike off the rack at 50 mile/hr speed.

End of Story....back to the topic of covering up saddle to roof rack transport:
"Use anything but not a childseat!" :D

http://www.greenspeed.us/graphics/accessories/childseat-rack-a.jpg

I am not immuned to stupidity. ;)

weisan

palincss
06-07-2005, 11:41 AM
The saddles in question are expensive Brooks leather saddles , thats why they need to be water proof .

Rivendell sells a cover for Brooks saddles. Originally it was a Carradice, and made to fit a B.17. I believe they have a different maker now, but it's the same basic idea.

I found that the cover fit not only my B.17s, but also my Brooks Pro. It wasn't entirely waterproof - initially it leaked at the stitching, but over time the waterproof coating under the fabric wore off - but I discovered that a Saran QuickCover fit perfectly under the Carradice saddle cover, and that the combination was both quite durable and entirely waterproof.

Spectrum Bob
06-07-2005, 01:19 PM
Smiley
I would be happy to lend you a Bike Bra for your trip.
Call
Spectrum Bob

spiderman
06-07-2005, 01:36 PM
but i've been using ziplock bags as a base layer
and tying a walmart plastic bag tight at the seat post below...
works well behind the suburban...
not sure how well the method would do up on top?!?

Ginger
06-07-2005, 01:37 PM
Ditto on the bike bras. They work. The only time my bike rode on top of a vehicle without one I was very upset with the amount of road gunk that wound up on the poor thing. ick.