PDA

View Full Version : And so it begins.

djg
04-18-2011, 07:30 AM
My son turned 9. Big kid. I'd been eying the junior road bike his older sister outgrew. Looked like it might be small enough. Got it down from the hooks, aired up the tires, lubed the chain. We took it out yesterday for the first time. Started at a parking deck -- new position, first experience with skinny tires, first experience with shift levers. He did one little lap, came to a wobbly stop, and said "that was awesome." Did some more, and then he wanted to head to the MUT, so off we went.

And so it begins.

AngryScientist
04-18-2011, 07:33 AM
"daddy, if only my wheels were just a litttttllleee more aero..." :D

cdn_bacon
04-18-2011, 07:43 AM
Awesome news :)

BumbleBeeDave
04-18-2011, 10:21 AM
. . . come in 24 inch size? :D

BBD

FlashUNC
04-18-2011, 10:36 AM
So you'll get him on a hill repeats program next week then?

Good to hear we've got another convert.

firerescuefin
04-18-2011, 10:37 AM
Congrats...Can't wait :beer:

Joachim
04-18-2011, 10:38 AM
Just the perfect age for a power meter....

Great news!

azrider
04-18-2011, 10:47 AM
Next up......LW's

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_5tY-XfbgJe0/TNlzAXtQFzI/AAAAAAAAFJo/DbVcIQgz4ps/s1600/Lightweights.jpg

benb
04-18-2011, 10:50 AM
Awesome..

Around 6th grade my dad took me on a 25 mile ride with a bunch of other kids & dads.. man were we all jealous of the one kid who had a road bike.

djg
04-18-2011, 11:39 AM
So you'll get him on a hill repeats program next week then?

Good to hear we've got another convert.

But he's on spring break this week . . . I mean, I know you're kidding, but we'll see. He's a big boy, and might do better with hoops (which he plays) or even tennis (which I did), but he's tenacious and likes to go fast.

There's a little youtube clip of a teammate of mine cheering on his son (13, not 9) -- the kid has been racing for a couple of years and doing pretty well in cross, but the cheering this weekend . . . I think these were Jake's first two wins on pavement. Priceless, I reckon.

FlashUNC
04-18-2011, 11:53 AM
As long as he has fun with it, that's the important thing.

I know some of my best memories from growing up are going to the baseball field on Saturday mornings to hit and play catch with my dad, or play HORSE on the basket out by the barn.

rice rocket
04-18-2011, 12:57 PM
Next up......LW's

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_5tY-XfbgJe0/TNlzAXtQFzI/AAAAAAAAFJo/DbVcIQgz4ps/s1600/Lightweights.jpg

Ha, that pic always cracks me up!

roundabout
04-18-2011, 08:51 PM
Next up......LW's

Man, you beat me to it!

What's his watts/kg? If he's still on break get him out doing some FTP tests.

In all seriousness, good luck! If he chooses cycling, congrats! As a tall person who chose cycling over hoops or other activities, I think it's safe to say we lengthy fellows can have our fair share of fun racing.

djg
04-19-2011, 08:59 AM
As long as he has fun with it, that's the important thing.

Indeed. I played competitive tennis growing up. Other sports too, but tennis at a higher level. Experienced both good and bad with paternal involvement. And if we're just talking about stuff I observed with others. Worst case? Be afraid, be very afraid.

I coach my son's soccer team and my assistant coach this year was a pro for a number of years in South Africa. We try to motivate the kids, and teach them skills and the game, but we want to keep it fun -- it's our key obligation, I think. Soccer, tennis, cycling -- rec cycling or racing -- it's gotta be fun.