PDA

View Full Version : Riding in Slidell / New Orleans

GONE4ARIDE
06-06-2005, 09:22 PM
OK cajun bretheren, I am traveling to the New Orleans area on business later this week and I am going to bring along my new CIII coupler bike so I can get in some early a.m. training miles. Any suggestions on some good training routes in the Slidell area? I also have the option of staying directly in N'awlins, but I thought if I stayed out in Slidell I might be able to catch a some better riding.

Suggestions please.

Thanks!

J.M. White
06-07-2005, 12:11 AM
Catch the St. Tammany Trace, which begins at the western edge of the city, just west of Airport road (near the only mall in town) and running south of and parallel to U.S. Hwy 190. The trace runs about 32 miles to Covington, passing thru Lacombe (12 miles east), Mandeville (20 mi.) and Abita (28 mi.). One warning: the trace is interrupted for a mile or so, due to construction over Bayou Lacombe. The detour is not marked, so you'll need to ride north (right turn off of Trace) to U.S. Hwy 190. You will not enjoy your brief time on Hwy. 190--the road is narrow and rough during this stretch, but keep up a good pace and you should be able to survive. The Trace itself, which is part of the rails to trails system, is in pretty good shape, and the northern section has just been resurfaced and is smooth as a baby's behind.

The Trace is as flat as the proverbial pancake, so you'll have to go
north from Abita Springs if you want hills. Abita is a take-off for club rides to the North, which features rolling hills and some very nice scenery--including numerous horse farms. Don't forget to stop for a cold brew at the world-famous Abita Brewhouse, the home of "Purple Haze" and "TurboDog" beers.

If you don't want to do an out-and-back, you can get to Abita Springs via Lacombe on Fish Hatchery Road (yes, there's a hatchery) and connect to Hwy. 434 via Krentel Road (take right off of Fish Hatchery Road about a mile or so after crossing over Interstate 12). Turn left (north) on La. 434, ride ten (10) miles or so to the intersection of La. Hwy 36 (a "T) and turn left (west). Ride to Abita on Hwy 36 (another 10 mi. or so), take a break at the BrewHouse and take the Trace south to Mandeville and then east back through Lacombe and on to your starting point in Slidell.

For more information, go to www.tammanytrace.org. You can download a map, and, hopefully, verify what I've told you.

Have fun. You are welcome to send PM if you have any more questions.

GONE4ARIDE
06-07-2005, 04:11 AM
J.M. - Just what I was looking for. Thanks so much!

Bradford
06-08-2005, 10:55 PM
I just got back from New Orleans about 1/2 hour ago. Bring a rain jacket and be prepared to get off the road and under cover if you have to. There were pretty severe lighting and rain storms the last 4 days.

The good news is that they don't last all day and they started in the afternoon.

J.M. White
06-09-2005, 08:21 AM
I just got back from New Orleans about 1/2 hour ago. Bring a rain jacket and be prepared to get off the road and under cover if you have to. There were pretty severe lighting and rain storms the last 4 days.

The good news is that they don't last all day and they started in the afternoon.

Bradford's correct. But the heavy weather here usually occurs early to mid-afternoon, not early morning. If you're here this weekend, be prepared for potentially nasty conditions as the New Orleans area is a target for this season's first tropical storm.