PDA

View Full Version : Great Cause! Police Officer Cyclist Gives Back.

rugbysecondrow
04-16-2011, 05:50 PM
I think this is very cool. This might be something that could be done in more localities. Fine job to the officer who is kicking this off.

http://www.nhregister.com/articles/2011/01/10/news/shoreline/bb4_mon_mapedalpounder010911.txt

By Alexandra Sanders, Register Staff
asanders@nhregister.com

MADISON — A police officer is putting the pedal to the metal to organize a Special Olympics cycling group by the spring.

Officer Joe Race, 33, has participated in numerous events to benefit Special Olympics through the Police Department. With experience on his side, he is looking to coach half a dozen Special Olympics athletes who are interested in cycling and eventually take them on a longer ride once a month. He is planning to call the group Pedal Pounders.

“I’ll give them a bike to begin with so they don’t have to invest a ton of money, and if they like it, they can keep it. If not, they can give the bike to someone else who is interested,” said Race, who attended last year’s International Law Enforcement Torch Run Conference after participating in the torch run to benefit Special Olympics.

Race’s gears started turning when a resident gave him a bicycle last summer. He thought that if he could get just a few more bikes donated, he could spread the joy of cycling. He is collecting bikes for the cyclists and then he just needs a few participants to kick off the idea.

“It’s going to be a slow process, but I hope that a few organizations that work with the mentally challenged, such as SARAH and Vista, would hopefully be able to participate in one or more of the rides,” Race said.

Race said he wants to start with a small group of Special Olympics cyclists, and work on skills such as balancing exercises and cone drills to get the athletes used to riding.

“Safety always has to be the top priority,” said Race. “I’d like to see some decent riding skills before considering going out into the road.”

He plans to team up with Adam and Christy Coppola, local newlyweds about to start a 50-state bike tour for charity, for a short ride around town and a bike collection in May. Anyone can participate in the 10-mile ride, which is primarily being held to spread the word about Pedal Pounders and the Coppolas’ charity, Give A Bike, and Race said that donations will be accepted.

“Joe is a great guy that has really become invested in the Madison community,” Adam Coppola said. “He is passionate about volunteering and giving to those who are less fortunate than himself.”

Race said that he is starting the group because cycling is freedom to him and he wants to share that feeling with others, including athletes’ parents and other police officers. The Police Department has a few officers patrolling on bikes, and Race thinks that some of them would be interested in participating.

“I admire his energy and his efforts that he has put forth for the Special Olympics,” said Police Chief John Drumm, who is also a cyclist. “It’s an aspect of generosity that Joe really shows, and I can’t refuse participating in it.”

Even though police officers lead busy lives, Race said that the department has participated in similar events in the past. While group cycling practices will take up an hour or two each week, it is worth it. He has been interested in the Special Olympics all his life because of his mother, who started work in the special education field, and his sister, who is a special education teacher.

“It’s so heartwarming and amazing to see anyone achieve success, but to see athletes who face a challenge that most of us don’t face, is so rewarding,” said Race, who also coached unified soccer last fall.

BobbyJones
04-16-2011, 07:22 PM
-Earlier post edited-

This is good stuff. Madison's civil servants seems to really support cycling and giving back to the community.Their Selectman from a few years ago even campaigned on a bike!

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/20/nyregion/20towns.html

rugbysecondrow
04-16-2011, 07:35 PM
My man, I purposefully didn't hijak your gripe session thread, you could extend the same courtesy.