PDA

View Full Version : Knee Pain

mdeeds71
06-06-2005, 06:14 PM
I have only been seriously riding, since I stopped in college in 96, for about the past three months...Now I am getting larger mileage packages and on my last two 50+ rides around mile 35 I start to get some pain in the right knee...The pain seems to only happen after I stop, then start from a standing candence when I transition to the seated position...It only lasts for about 3 revolutions...I can occasionaly feel it if I put a side load or twist slightly while pedaling...

The pain is radiating from the outer side of my left knee cap in between the joint, in the softer tissue...I don't feel it when I walk nor jumping...Back in the day I used to have to jump out of aircraft for the army and have wondered what damage I have done...But this only comes up when I have been riding some time...

Could this be position induced, seat height or cleat position???

Could it be swollen tendons/ligaments that are loose when not pedaling finding there way under the joint???

Anyone know of a good sports physician/ortho in the San Jose/San Fransisco area??? And a good cleat fitter in the same area.

Should I try a cleat fitting before going to a sports ortho???

I had some minor pain in the left knee on tip of the cap but that went away with a seat height increase...I do have the left leg shorter syndrome and pronate quit a bit...

Dekonick
06-06-2005, 06:53 PM
Spring Knee? (err - summer knee?)

mdeeds71
06-06-2005, 06:58 PM
Is this like tennis elbow???

Dekonick
06-06-2005, 07:20 PM
Yup. Overuse.

Muscles build much faster than tendons and ligaments. Tendons and ligaments have poor blood supply and are connective tissue - that combo = SLOW growth and healing.

I think the general rule is never add more than 10% total mileage a week. Example: (the math is just a close approx. ok?)
week1 20 mile ride
week2 22
week3 25
week4 30
etc...

And that doesn't take into account hills, tempo, gearing etc...

It is easy to be strong enough for the long stuff, but not have the support structures ready to take the strain. Think of it like the 'weakest link' in a chain theory.

regardless - Knee pain is a NO NO.
GO see a doctor, and if you haven't done so get fitted properly. Ask Smiley - he can point you in the right direction.

Good luck! :)

mdeeds71
06-06-2005, 07:35 PM
Got fitted...Waiting to see a Doc because this might be inflamation and will see about turning down the mileage vs pain...I have had something similar in the military when doing extremely long movement via boots tied with an airborne drop to kick it off...hit like a sack of sh!!!t, as usual for my jumps.

Hows the Colorado AL doing???

I have my second Serotta up at Saratoga Spring for a repaint, an old Colorado II...I just bought recently half fillet brazed/half lugged from the early 90s.