PDA

View Full Version : 9 speed chains and quick links

BobbyJones
04-15-2011, 09:08 PM
Looking for user experiences with 9 speed chains and reusable quick links.

I've had good luck with CN-HG93 / CN-7701 chains. Going to be switching back and forth between compact and standard cranks and just going to use two separate chains.

Drivetrain is Ultegra 9 speed, and the new compacts are gonna be Sugino Alpinas or 6600's

Besides "thats the dumbest thing ever" , any other thoughts or insight with particular combos?

Thanks

PSC
04-15-2011, 09:18 PM
I feel SRAM PowerLink's work fine. At $5, they are cheap and easier to use than Shimano's pins.

dave thompson
04-15-2011, 09:58 PM
I've used both the SRAM and KMC quick-links with my 9-speed chains for years with great success. No issues. Just make sure they're installed properly and securely.

Dave Wages
04-15-2011, 10:35 PM
I've had good luck with Wipperman chains. As for the cranks, why not use Ultegra standard and compact cranks, then you don't have to change the bottom bracket every time you want to switch, just slide one out, and the other one in.

Just my two cents.

Louis
04-15-2011, 10:53 PM
I've been using a SRAM link on Shimano 9-spd chains (I think the link is now on it's second chain) and have been very happy with it. No problems at all.

Peter B
04-15-2011, 11:20 PM
For 9-speed I've had great luck with 7701 chains and the Superlink (http://www.lickbike.com/productpage.aspx?PART_NUM_SUB=%270338-10%27) quick connectors. I might have a few still around after moving on to 10s. PM if interested.

oldpotatoe
04-16-2011, 07:41 AM
Looking for user experiences with 9 speed chains and reusable quick links.

I've had good luck with CN-HG93 / CN-7701 chains. Going to be switching back and forth between compact and standard cranks and just going to use two separate chains.

Drivetrain is Ultegra 9 speed, and the new compacts are gonna be Sugino Alpinas or 6600's

Besides "thats the dumbest thing ever" , any other thoughts or insight with particular combos?

Thanks

Wipperman 9s link and the above mentioned chains..I sell a ton of these links, 8s, 9s and 10s and they all work great.

mxpdx
04-16-2011, 02:04 PM
I second the Super Link. I'd sooner pop pins than try re-using even the "so-called" reusable SRAM links...I've broken more of those than I can count.

Louis
04-16-2011, 02:10 PM
I second the Super Link. I'd sooner pop pins than try re-using even the "so-called" reusable SRAM links...I've broken more of those than I can count.

Interesting. How much do you weigh?

mxpdx
04-16-2011, 02:22 PM
Interesting. How much do you weigh?

Way high end ~280lbs (depending on race season)

I think am just out of the SRAM limits because I have about a 90% failure rate for everything they make.

Louis
04-16-2011, 02:37 PM
Way high end

Yeah, that probably explains it. I'm 175 +/- a bit and haven't had any problems with the SRAM. They probably have less margin than the Super Link. Since the weight of the part itself can't be much of an issue for a single chain link, as long as the Super Link works well there's not reason to not use it.

mxpdx
04-16-2011, 02:45 PM
Yeah, that probably explains it. I'm 175 +/- a bit and haven't had any problems with the SRAM. They probably have less margin than the Super Link. Since the weight of the part itself can't be much of an issue for a single chain link, as long as the Super Link works well there's not reason to not use it.

Yea the 9sp power links seem to work fine. I have a friend who has reused the 10sp power link.....no bueno.

BobbyJones
04-16-2011, 02:51 PM
Hey all- I've got an SRAM chain on my 10s bike and its my understanding the Powerlink isn't reusable. Is it only the 10s links that are NOT reusable? The 9s are?

Dave Wages - I'm married to an Octalink BB for now. The 6600 Crank may happen as a trade, but otherwise headed towards an Octalink Alpina

Peter B - PM'ing you now.

Thanks

palincss
04-16-2011, 03:37 PM

How do you do that? I've been using them for many years now and have never had a problem.

palincss
04-16-2011, 03:38 PM
Hey all- I've got an SRAM chain on my 10s bike and its my understanding the Powerlink isn't reusable. Is it only the 10s links that are NOT reusable? The 9s are?

I'm not sure what you mean by "reusable." The 8 and 9 speed SRAM links are good for the life of the chain. I wouldn't use one on more than one chain, though. After six or seven thousand miles, the wear on the link is pretty obvious. Anyway, new links come with each new chain.

BobbyJones
04-16-2011, 04:02 PM
Reusable as in multiple times open / close, like how I stated I'd like to use it in my original post.

I did a little googling for details, and as per SRAM:

"SRAM chain engineers developed PowerLock as a tool free, sure and consistent way to connect our 10 speed chains. While PL does not require special tools for install, the especially tight tolerances of 10 Speed drive trains mandated that each PowerLock is good for a one-time application only."

I'm learning about the difference between PowerLock (10s) and PowerLink (9s)

Louis
04-16-2011, 04:02 PM
As I mentioned above, I've successfully re-used a SRAM quick-link on a second 9-spd Shimano chain with no noticeable difference in operation between the first time around and the second. I would have tossed out the link when I replaced the first chain, but didn't have a new one, so I just used the old one. No problems yet.

oldpotatoe
04-17-2011, 07:07 AM

Dave Wages - I'm married to an Octalink BB for now. The 6600 Crank may happen as a trade, but otherwise headed towards an Octalink Alpina

Peter B - PM'ing you now.

Thanks

The sram 10s link is NOT reusable, whereas their 9s and 8s links ARE. Considering the history of sram 10s chains, I wouldn't reuse their 10s link(don't sell 'em anyway, Wipperman LINKS are the best IMHO, IRD for 11s).

palincss
04-17-2011, 03:47 PM
Reusable as in multiple times open / close, like how I stated I'd like to use it in my original post.

I did a little googling for details, and as per SRAM:

"SRAM chain engineers developed PowerLock as a tool free, sure and consistent way to connect our 10 speed chains. While PL does not require special tools for install, the especially tight tolerances of 10 Speed drive trains mandated that each PowerLock is good for a one-time application only."

I'm learning about the difference between PowerLock (10s) and PowerLink (9s)

One more reason why 9 is superior to 10.

cole91
04-17-2011, 11:29 PM
The sram 10s link is NOT reusable, whereas their 9s and 8s links ARE. Considering the history of sram 10s chains, I wouldn't reuse their 10s link(don't sell 'em anyway, Wipperman LINKS are the best IMHO, IRD for 11s).

I'm on QBP now, and they do sell the PowerLock for their 10 speed chains. But yes they don't recommend reusing them but I have with no problems. You just have to jiggle it free because its pretty tough. The 8s and 9s are called PowerLink and the 10s is called PowerLock, for a reason of course.

mxpdx
04-18-2011, 12:53 AM
I'm on QBP now, and they do sell the PowerLock for their 10 speed chains. But yes they don't recommend reusing them but I have with no problems. You just have to jiggle it free because its pretty tough. The 8s and 9s are called PowerLink and the 10s is called PowerLock, for a reason of course.

The problem isn't getting the 10s link on and off, it's that the link actually will never hold the same again after the first time. I've tried reusing and seen it majorly fail. Way more luck actually popping the pins, which is REALLY not recommended.

cole91
04-18-2011, 02:04 AM
Haha yeah not recommended much at all! Yeah I suppose I was pretty lucky but it just worked. Only used it a couple more weeks so who knows how long I would have stayed lucky.

oldpotatoe
04-18-2011, 07:51 AM

Are you a bike shop?

NRRider
04-18-2011, 10:59 AM
I've had a lot of luck with KMC links. They don't need to be installed a certain way (like the Wipperman, at least 10 speed had to have a certain orientation). I've broken a Wipperman link, but not KMC. Plus, you can get a card of 6 9 speed links really cheap. http://www.amazon.com/KMC-MISSING-Bicycle-9-Speed-6-Pack/dp/B001PTA4I8

The Wipperman also was notorious for causing problems (clicking) with an 11T cog, though I think that was only where it was installed improperly.
I use them for road, MTB, and carry a spare for each.

dave thompson
04-18-2011, 11:28 AM
+1 on the above! Plus the KMC quick-links are amazingly inexpensive compared to any of the others and so far they seem to last a very long time.

GregL
04-18-2011, 01:07 PM
Add me to the list of satisfied Superlink users. I've used them for ~10 years and currently have them on all nine bikes in the house. They are reliable, inexpensive, and make drivetrain cleaning easier. They hold up to the stresses of tandem standing climbing with no problems at all. I keep spares in all our seat bags for just-in-case use out on the road & trail.

- Greg

cole91
04-18-2011, 08:31 PM
Are you a bike shop?

Haha no, but I've got a login! Do you need me to look something up for you?

oldpotatoe
04-19-2011, 07:42 AM
Haha no, but I've got a login! Do you need me to look something up for you?

Not really.

cole91
04-19-2011, 12:15 PM
Haha okayyy?

GregL, who makes the SuperLink?

goonster
04-19-2011, 12:56 PM
Do you need me to look something up for you?
That's a good one! :beer:

dave thompson
04-19-2011, 01:44 PM
That's a good one! :beer:
...if he only knew.....

Peter B
04-19-2011, 08:38 PM
Haha okayyy?

GregL, who makes the SuperLink?

Maybe you don't realize who you've been talking to:

http://www.vecchios.com/

The Superlink is by
Forster Tool & Manufacturing (http://www.forstertool.com)