PDA

View Full Version : Fork Opinions

kohlboto
04-15-2011, 07:32 PM
My new Crema is on order from Hampco and I am faced with a decision that is anything but earth-shatteringly important but I am interested in perspectives and input, nonetheless. For the fork I can stick with a lugged, Tweedy-built straight-blade steel model (the same I had on the last frame), or I can go with a painted to match Wound-Up carbon fork. I know the Wound-Up is polarizing as far as aesthetics goes but I'm wondering if it may match up better with a TIG welded frame. It would look similar to this Tournesol, except my frame would be a light cream colour (Vanilla Shake to be exact):

http://www.flickr.com/photos/blindrobert/3159825721/

Where do you stand on this pressing issue?

TMB
04-15-2011, 07:35 PM
Steel.

Lugged.

Matter closed.

kohlboto
04-15-2011, 07:40 PM
Steel.

Lugged.

Matter closed.

Thanks Jim.
...I should have added that I was fairly certain, before I posted, the direction this would go...

thwart
04-15-2011, 08:01 PM
Can't say I'm a fan of the Wound-Up. Bulletproof, but for lighter folks like me, a stiff ride.

I'd go with the same fork you had before.

bigman
04-15-2011, 08:22 PM
Aesthetically it would be pretty much impossible to screw up the look if your rig approaches the perfectness of the linked rig.

zennmotion
04-15-2011, 11:25 PM
My white tigged Cinghiale has a curved blade matching steel fork, I wouldn't want anything else. Looks right, rides better. Get curved steel, painted to match and keep Martin busy. And bonus, the weight diff isn't even significant compared to a wound up. You knew the answer before your asked, really, this should be a no-brainer-

kohlboto
04-15-2011, 11:58 PM
My white tigged Cinghiale has a curved blade matching steel fork, I wouldn't want anything else. Looks right, rides better. Get curved steel, painted to match and keep Martin busy. And bonus, the weight diff isn't even significant compared to a wound up. You knew the answer before your asked, really, this should be a no-brainer-

I knew how the forum would answer before I asked...I'm not against the painted to match Wound-Up at all (aesthetically, that is...I've never ridden one) and I notice that both Andy and Steve Hampsten tend to choose a wound-up and/or an Alpha Q fork for their own personal rides instead of the steel fork option...

zennmotion
04-16-2011, 12:30 AM
Dirt road bike to ride hard and long... perfect venue for lively carefree steel. And ask for a Sachs crown even if you have to wait a little longer, light understated elegance looks great with a welded frame and Hampco can choose your blades to match your weight and ride style.

vqdriver
04-16-2011, 12:36 AM
I figure I'll be in the minority here. But I actually like painted wound up forks. I've no idea if it's the ride you're looking for, but they sure look nice.