PDA

View Full Version : Clothing review: Rapha LS Jersey and MUSA pants

rpm
04-15-2011, 04:35 PM
I've made fun of Rapha's pretentiousness and exorbitant prices, but last month I got a Rapha long sleeve jersey on sale at Competitive Cyclist. It's without question the nicest piece of cycling clothing I've ever owned. The fit is perfect with extra length in the pack, grippers on the bottom edge, and angled pockets. The wool/poly blend is warm, comes out of the dryer unwrinkled and unshrunken, and it doesn't sag like my old Ibis wool jersey, which looked like a mini-skirt when I loaded up the pockets.

I've also made fun of Rivendell's sometimes strange and geeky clothes. But I ordered a pair of their MUSA pants and they fit my needs perfectly. I was looking for a pair of pants that I could slip over my slacks for my short commute and that would cut the wind in cold weather. They do well on both counts. The legs are tapered just right to go over my other pants and not touch the chain. The fabric is a light nylon that feels like cotton, and there are reflective strips at the ankles.

http://www.rivbike.com/products/show/musa-pants/22-072

jlwdm
04-15-2011, 07:38 PM
I have a few Rapha pieces I really like (bibs, club jersey, socks and neck gaiter) and I also bought the long sleeve wool/poly blend from Competitive Cyclist during the sale.

It has been perfect for early morning and evening riding - like it a lot.

Jeff

AngryScientist
04-15-2011, 08:01 PM
good review. i have a few rapha pieces of clothing myself, and agree that they are simply excellently done, you cant argue with that.

if my budget allowed, all my cycling kit would be Rapha, picking it up on sale is really the way to go.

dnades
04-15-2011, 08:15 PM
I've got some of the MUSA shorts. Great shorts. Not padded. Super light. Well made. Cut big. Dry quick. Was thinking about the pants for similar use. Thanks for the review.

Peter B
04-15-2011, 11:23 PM
I've made fun of Rapha's pretentiousness and exorbitant prices, but last month I got a Rapha long sleeve jersey on sale at Competitive Cyclist. It's without question the nicest piece of cycling clothing I've ever owned. The fit is perfect with extra length in the pack, grippers on the bottom edge, and angled pockets. The wool/poly blend is warm, comes out of the dryer unwrinkled and unshrunken, and it doesn't sag like my old Ibis wool jersey, which looked like a mini-skirt when I loaded up the pockets.

<snip>

+1 on the LS jersey. I picked one up during the CC sale as well and it is an outstanding piece of clothing. Rapha really does make some great stuff but for me the trick is buying on sale.

feta99
04-16-2011, 02:14 AM
I've got a pair of MUSA pants and I love them. They are well made, fit great, are extremely practical for non-bib required riding, and are reasonably priced. I might buy a pair of their water proof version for next year.

I've drooled over Rapha clothing but could never convince myself to splurge on any items. The stuff is made in china but priced like it was hand made in Switzerland.

jlwdm
04-16-2011, 06:59 AM
I don't know where the clothes are made but the pieces I have are well-designed, excellent material and well made.

Rapha makes some products in China which proves the obvious that you cannot expect the same quality from all products made in any one country - made in USA does not necessarily mean quality.

My bibs say made in Italy.

Jeff

majl
04-16-2011, 08:21 AM
The Rapha L/S jersey is a nice piece in terms of feel, weight, and looks, but it doesn't work for me because the sleeves are too short when in the riding position. I don't have especially long arms (33" dress shirt), and when I put this jersey on, there is 1-1/2" exposed portion on my wrists between my gloves and the sleeves. I like their jerseys so I guess I will have to stick with the S/S versions.

xjoex
04-16-2011, 08:25 AM
I like the MUSA Knickers. I have been riding in them for a while : http://robonza.blogspot.com/2011/03/review-musa-knickers.html

They are pretty light weight.

-Joe