PDA

View Full Version : Rapha jersey downsize/weight loss offer!

pdmtong
04-15-2011, 11:19 AM
Jersey Downsize offer (http://www.rapha.cc/jersey-downsize-offer/?cm_mmc=email-_-150411-_-textlink3-_-downsize)

If you have purchased a jersey this year and lost weight through riding, Rapha would like to offer you a 50% discount on your new size jersey. Simply download, print, and complete the form below, then send it along with your old jersey back to Rapha. Rapha will then refund your postage and send you your new jersey free of charge.

•DOWNLOAD Rapha Jersey Downsize Form [PDF – 33kb]
Address:
Rapha Racing Ltd
Imperial Works
Perren St.
London
NW5 3ED

Terms and Conditions:
1.This offer applies only to Rapha Jerseys.
2.The new jersey must be bought in the same calendar year as your original purchase.
3.Offer is limited to the same jersey as your original purchase. If unavailable, you may request a similar jersey.
4.Offer includes Rapha jerseys bought through Rapha’s retail partners.
5.Proof of purchase must be supplied if requested.
6.Offer limited to three jerseys per customer per calendar year.
7.Rapha reserves the right to change or cancel this offer at any time.
8.Details of how you have ridden down a size may be published on the Rapha website.
9.Data collected will not be supplied to third parties
10.If you have any questions or queries regarding this offer please email them to: enquiries@rapha.cc

phcollard
04-15-2011, 11:26 AM
That's interesting. I was holding my next purchase of a Rapha jersey because I intend to go from XL to L this season and heck their jerseys are expensive. Now I think I can go for it.

Charles M
04-15-2011, 11:49 AM
Mavic n Capo have a better offer!

They will sell you a better jersey for the same amount as the Discounted Rapha

And not also require the shirt off your back...

swithouski
04-15-2011, 11:52 AM
I actually DID downsize this year. I bought my first Rapha jersey from LBS - gotta find the receipt.

rice rocket
04-15-2011, 11:58 AM
So is it 50% off or is it free? I'm confused.

Liberace
04-15-2011, 12:18 PM
Mavic n Capo have a better offer!

They will sell you a better jersey for the same amount as the Discounted Rapha

And not also require the shirt off your back...

This is great advice! The Mavic jerseys are top shelf and relatively cheap.

sg8357
04-15-2011, 12:41 PM
This is great advice! The Mavic jerseys are top shelf and relatively cheap.

When you wear a Mavic jersey all you want to do is ride to a fine
restaurant via lovely French D roads on a sunny day.

When you wear a Rapha jersey you ride off badly prepared in
order to enjoy a full measure of epic suffering.
Ever notice that the Rapha model persons all look like
the cast of "Trainspotting" ?

phcollard
04-15-2011, 12:44 PM
Looks like this is going to turn into another Rapha hate thread...

JohnHemlock
04-15-2011, 12:48 PM
If I get fat again will they send me my old jersey back for $100?

I aspire to a Trainspotting level of thinness, if not dentistry.

CNY rider
04-15-2011, 01:13 PM

They do bring it upon themselves.
This offer, for example is completely absurd.
Who is going to actually do this? A handful of people?
This and a bunch of their other antics are designed solely to keep their name front and center in the marketplace.
They are superb at keeping the buzz going.
Whether the stuff is any good or not is a whole 'nother topic, and I'm not going there 'cause I don't own any of it.

FlashUNC
04-15-2011, 01:21 PM
They do bring it upon themselves.
This offer, for example is completely absurd.
Who is going to actually do this? A handful of people?
This and a bunch of their other antics are designed solely to keep their name front and center in the marketplace.
They are superb at keeping the buzz going.
Whether the stuff is any good or not is a whole 'nother topic, and I'm not going there 'cause I don't own any of it.

I've seen some threads in the for sale forum with folks explicitly mentioning they've lost weight and plan on buying a smaller size Rapha jersey. May not get them the same financial return as re-selling their old stuff and buying new stuff, but this seems to take a lot of the hassle out of it.

Folks can knock it, but I don't see Assos or anyone else stepping up with something like this.

phcollard
04-15-2011, 01:38 PM
I've seen some threads in the for sale forum with folks explicitly mentioning they've lost weight and plan on buying a smaller size Rapha jersey.

That's exactly my case. I love their stuff. It's just nice and excellent quality. If I lose weight I'll buy Rapha again.

swithouski
04-15-2011, 01:52 PM
That's exactly my case. I love their stuff. It's just nice and excellent quality. If I lose weight I'll buy Rapha again.

Same here. In fact just the other day I sold a Swrve jacket & Outier pants becuase I lost weigh. Was debating selling the Rapha jersey as well but hesitated. Now I have an excuse.

*I have a Rapha addiction - you can hate me for it.

cody.wms
04-15-2011, 02:51 PM

Every time Rapha is mentioned this happens. Yeah, the marketing can be over the top, and the prices are astronomical, but its good stuff. I've been able to get my Rapha stuff from Competitive Cyclist during their end-of-season sales, when the prices are more reasonable. But, if I had the scratch I'd buy more in a heartbeat.

Charles M
04-15-2011, 04:51 PM
If Rapha were the highest quality kit produced, I wouldnt care if it were even more expensive than it is...

But it's not better than Assos. It's not better than several pieces from Mavic. It's not better than the top line at Capo... It's not better than several products.

If Rapha were hand made in the UK from more bespoke materials or offered a substantial range of fits and or custom fit, I woudnt care if it were even more expensive.

But it's not. The bulk is made in China from materials at and in some cases lower tech than any number of other products made in China / Europe...

That's NOT a slap at asian production. There are tons of things I think are fantastic that are produced there.

I just landed this for instance

http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/photos/charles/acdcmid.jpg

(disregard the fact that Palree built a MONSTER building bespoke product, in house that represented for a time the best custom carbon available periord and only recently have true competitors. Also Ignore that this Z5 has a custom US produced finish for both frame and what were the very first SRAM BLACK components and features US made wheels with hubs from us metals and with swiss bearings...)... Just think of it as an exceptionally nice stock bike that has fantastic but not over-cooked stiffness, comes in two sets of size runs, maintains a very good ride quality and tips the scales at 12.9 pounds)

Here's where I'm going...

RAPHA is a specifically EURO SOUNDING name... Versus a REAL Euro name Like say "Colnago" or An Authentic branding like Parlee...

Colnago sell their Genuine Euro produced product (the EPS) for TWICE the price of Parlee's Z5. Parlee sell a fantastic few bikes at variable multiples of the Z5...

Rapha is an Italo-latino sounding marketing tag hung on an anglo company selling Chinese product, but they're charging you as if:

The Rapha Family of tailors to royalty took their extremely well known wares and relocated them to a farming village in Wales where they use the wool from organically raised free range sheep for the jerseys and partner with Bentley to share a limited number of hides from cows raised specifically on ranches without any barbed wire, lest their skins be scuffed and ruine the single Chamoise that can be taken from the very softest hide.

If Rapha were half the price that it is, I WOULD BUY IT. It's neat looking and good quality.

It is absolutely NOT the best performing / highest quality cycling product produced and with that, the price is it's sole stand out feature.

old_fat_and_slow
04-15-2011, 04:58 PM
This is blatant discrimination against us folks trending the other way ! ! ! !

I want the same offer for those of us planning on moving UP in size(s) this year ! ! ! !

JohnHemlock
04-15-2011, 05:07 PM
Here's where I'm going...

RAPHA is a specifically EURO SOUNDING name... Versus a REAL Euro name Like say "Colnago" or An Authentic branding like Parlee...

Colnago sell their Genuine Euro produced product (the EPS) for TWICE the price of Parlee's Z5. Parlee sell a fantastic few bikes at variable multiples of the Z5...

Rapha is an Italo-latino sounding marketing tag hung on an anglo company selling Chinese product, but they're charging you as if:

The Rapha Family of tailors to royalty took their extremely well known wares and relocated them to a farming village in Wales where they use the wool from organically raised free range sheep for the jerseys and partner with Bentley to share a limited number of hides from cows raised specifically on ranches without any barbed wire, lest their skins be scuffed and ruine the single Chamoise that can be taken from the very softest hide.

If Rapha were half the price that it is, I WOULD BUY IT. It's neat looking and good quality.

It is absolutely NOT the best performing / highest quality cycling product produced and with that, the price is it's sole stand out feature.

Actually, I heard they were called "Cheapchink" but there was a Norwegian metal band with the same name so they changed it to Rapha.

Seriously, you are going to bag on them for their fake / faux cool name? Should I toss out my Frank Zappa and Joe Strummer records, as well?

If you don't like their wares, don't buy them and let the market either agree with you or not. Nobody posted that they were the finest garments ever manufactured, no need to get your Mavic mesh tank top in a twist!

phcollard
04-15-2011, 05:17 PM
Pez,

Rapha is certainly not the only brand in the cycling world which uses what you call doubtful marketing to sell products that many people like and make profit out of it.

I know when I buy Rapha that it's expensive. I know it's not made in England. I know there is perhaps somewhere better quality stuff. As far as sportswool jerseys I am thinking about a couple other brands but I have yet to try them.

But I also know that when I buy Rapha their clothes fit me perfectly. I know they feel very comfortable and efficient for my type of cycling. I know their service is second to none - heck I even had a guy from Rapha England call me at home to discuss a return/exchange. I know that in case I change shape I can resell Rapha quite easily without losing too much money. Etc, etc.

It sounds like you're saying that all those who buy Rapha are marketing victims with way too much money to spend, and all Rapha people should be hanged high and short for their satanic actions... Believe me I don't have too much money. Of course I would appreciate Rapha to be cheaper - in fact I very often wait for their sales - but I don't feel like I am ripped of buying from them. I like their clothes and that's what works for me.

Nil Else
04-15-2011, 05:25 PM
We have some posts deserving of recognition here. Whodathunk a rapha thread would be this fun?

Charles M
04-15-2011, 05:47 PM
I think Zappa and Strummer brought something different to the table along with the name...

Now if you refrenced a British promoter charging 500 bucks a seat for people to watch a Chinese guy Lip synch Pavarotti... (when the real Placido Domingo was playing next door for $250) You would have yourself a parallel...

JohnHemlock
04-15-2011, 06:35 PM
I think Zappa and Strummer brought something different to the table along with the name...

Now if you refrenced a British promoter charging 500 bucks a seat for people to watch a Chinese guy Lip synch Pavarotti... (when the real Placido Domingo was playing next door for $250) You would have yourself a parallel...

I have a friend who is a stripper. She sells her stage-worn panties for $100.

Unworn panties are $10.

The point is. . . . some people spend their money on overpriced garments that evoke climbing the Tourmalet. And some spend it on dirty underwear they can choke themselves with after midnight. It's all good, who are we to judge?

Nil Else
04-15-2011, 06:52 PM
What would be the point of unworn p... :confused:
NM. :bike:

BumbleBeeDave
04-16-2011, 06:27 AM

From the looks of this thread it seems like they are doing a pretty good job!

BBD

Chris
04-16-2011, 08:01 AM
Rapha is an Italo-latino sounding marketing tag hung on an anglo company selling Chinese product

It sounds like perhaps you don't know the back story on the name and that your supposition then is conjecture. Of all the people here who hate Rapha, I would think that you would be a little more objective in the issue. If you don't like the clothing, you don't like the clothing. In regard to comparing to the top of the line Capo stuff, I don't know how fair that is considering the Capo stuff is much more expensive at their top of the line.

To go after one company for the way they choose to market seems a little strange considering the goal of any company I would think would be to separate itself from the others. It seems that Rapha has done that pretty well considering the passions on both sides of the issue. I think most companies would rather people love them or hate them over being luke warm. I can't think of any other clothing campaigns that stick in my head other than Rapha's and the Assos girl topless... Maybe I exaggerate a little, but you get the idea.

For those who don't know where the name comes from...Tom Simpson's first pro-team was San Raphael and Rapha is simply a truncated homage to British cycling history, not some attempt to sound Euro.

oldpotatoe
04-16-2011, 08:10 AM
It sounds like perhaps you don't know the back story on the name and that your supposition then is conjecture. Of all the people here who hate Rapha, I would think that you would be a little more objective in the issue. If you don't like the clothing, you don't like the clothing. In regard to comparing to the top of the line Capo stuff, I don't know how fair that is considering the Capo stuff is much more expensive at their top of the line.

To go after one company for the way they choose to market seems a little strange considering the goal of any company I would think would be to separate itself from the others. It seems that Rapha has done that pretty well considering the passions on both sides of the issue. I think most companies would rather people love them or hate them over being luke warm. I can't think of any other clothing campaigns that stick in my head other than Rapha's and the Assos girl topless... Maybe I exaggerate a little, but you get the idea.

For those who don't know where the name comes from...Tom Simpson's first pro-team was San Raphael and Rapha is simply a truncated homage to British cycling history, not some attempt to sound Euro.

"Originally Posted by PezTech
Rapha is an Italo-latino sounding marketing tag hung on an anglo company selling Chinese product "

Sram is a Anglo-low end meat mix sounding marketing tag hung on an anglo company selling Asian product.

______ is a _______sounding marketing tag......blah, blah, blah...

I guess Pez hasn't received much Rapha(or Campagnolo) stuff to 'test'.

Love their mag BTW-I am a stockist also.

mxpdx
04-16-2011, 01:27 PM
I bought a XL Rapha jersey last year and joined their continental club. We had great times watching other people ride and drinking beer. Now I'm a XXL.

davidlee
04-16-2011, 02:01 PM

+1
I don't get the angst.. The stuff rocks.

swithouski
04-16-2011, 05:34 PM
FWIW My Rapha bibs were made in Italy and are much nicer than the any bibs i've worn before... and at $200 msrp thats not much more than a lot of other companies.

Also +1 on the end of season sale at CC. I scored some baselayers, longsleeve jersey, & other merino products for half price.

cody.wms
04-16-2011, 05:44 PM
FWIW My Rapha bibs were made in Italy and are much nicer than the any bibs i've worn before... and at $200 msrp thats not much more than a lot of other companies.

Exactly. So, the Rapha and the Assos Mille have the same Cytech chamois. The Rapha is $210, the Mille is $260 at CC. Doesn't seem like a rip-off to me (though both ARE expensive).

FlashUNC
04-16-2011, 06:00 PM
Exactly. So, the Rapha and the Assos Mille have the same Cytech chamois. The Rapha is $210, the Mille is $260 at CC. Doesn't seem like a rip-off to me (though both ARE expensive).

FWIW, got an email from Rapha they're offering the classic bibs for 10 percent off, plus a free sample of their chamois cream and free shipping.

PM me and I'll send along the code if you're interested.

Ahneida Ride
04-16-2011, 06:27 PM
Boy .... am I glad Pez likes HandleBra ..

hey ... did i get my plug in there ok ?

Jason (www.recoveredsaddle.com) and I are trying to team up
and hope to offer a very limited intro price dealski on:

your saddle (recovered in HandleBra black leather),
HB black leather wrap.
HB custom Ebony wood bar end plugs. (stainless and brass hardware)

any interest .... ? please send me a PM ..... ;)

as always, all the stuff is custom handcrafted using US sources and US labor.

19wisconsin64
04-16-2011, 06:53 PM
.....does exist. year-end sales, but you have to act super quick. competitive cyclist and others online carry this stuff.

i got a pair of black leather gloves, for $60 vs. $120. amazing gloves. best ever.

hey, i'm all for the marketing hype...let them make lots and lots of the stuff, and when it doesn't sell at year end i'll be buying for the next season when it's on sale!

it's all good.

and good to know that if someone shells out retail, and loses a few pounds while riding this stuff....hey, they get a new one that they needed to buy anyway at half off!

it's all good!

Charles M
04-17-2011, 02:15 PM
"Originally Posted by PezTech
Rapha is an Italo-latino sounding marketing tag hung on an anglo company selling Chinese product "

SRAM is a Anglo-low end meat mix sounding marketing tag hung on an anglo company selling Asian product.

______ is a _______sounding marketing tag......blah, blah, blah...

I guess Pez hasn't received much Rapha(or Campagnolo) stuff to 'test'.

Love their mag BTW-I am a stockist also.

SRAM is generally less $ for comparable product... And I have no issues with working with Campy.

http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/photos/tech/colnago/epswhole.jpg

And we've had Rapha/Rol posts that I liked...
http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/?pg=fullstory&id=8526
http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/?pg=fullstory&id=7990

And the pieces of Rapha gear I've had, I very simply purchased retail (I purchase a load of the stuff you see at Pez...) My problem was that I did it sight unseen. While I didn't have an arrangement for a review and I don't take/have the time to photo and write about things i've purchased that I dont think are exceptional, I don't mind speaking freely here at the forum.

It might be easier for me to speak freely when I don't take a paycheck from Pez or its sponsors and, well, because I'm not a stockist...

oldpotatoe
04-17-2011, 03:01 PM
SRAM is generally less $ for comparable product... And I have no issues with working with Campy.

http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/photos/tech/colnago/epswhole.jpg

And we've had Rapha/Rol posts that I liked...
http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/?pg=fullstory&id=8526
http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/?pg=fullstory&id=7990

And the pieces of Rapha gear I've had, I very simply purchased retail (I purchase a load of the stuff you see at Pez...) My problem was that I did it sight unseen. While I didn't have an arrangement for a review and I don't take/have the time to photo and write about things i've purchased that I dont think are exceptional, I don't mind speaking freely here at the forum.

It might be easier for me to speak freely when I don't take a paycheck from Pez or its sponsors and, well, because I'm not a stockist...

I decided to sell Rouleur and Privateer AFTER I bought them and read them.

I realize you don't take a paycheck from PEZ and their sponsors as I see everytime I read one of your posts..."it's tough to review w/o the pleasure of using it"

I doubt you 'buy' the $10,000++ bikes you test either. You 'may' return some of them but I think you probably keep a lot of the bicycles(and components, sram/zipp specifically) that you test. Does that make it easier or tougher to be objective? I don't know. See above.

Not a big deal as far as I'm concerned, I don't care if you get more product than those of us who sell this stuff but Rapha stuff doesn't deserve your ire..IMFHO...

Charles M
04-17-2011, 04:05 PM
:D

Firstly, I didn't start this personal babble. I kept my posts about the product until you decided to get focused. Apologies to the other folks for the absolutely meaningless interruption...

That said...

I don't think you say what you say because you make your living off the products directly... I really think you mean what you say regardless of whether or not we agree.

I also think it takes a special kind of ignorance for a retail marketer to suggest that material reward means someone else can't believe in what they're saying.

oldpotatoe
04-18-2011, 09:51 AM
:D

Firstly, I didn't start this personal babble. I kept my posts about the product until you decided to get focused. Apologies to the other folks for the absolutely meaningless interruption...

That said...

I don't think you say what you say because you make your living off the products directly... I really think you mean what you say regardless of whether or not we agree.

I also think it takes a special kind of ignorance for a retail marketer to suggest that material reward means someone else can't believe in what they're saying.

Gee thanks, always wanted to be special.

I'm sure you believe in what you are saying.

I say what I say from my personal experience with the products I see everyday in retail. Lots of things I could sell but don't because I think a lot of them make promises they can't keep( and make the appropriate margin, money in my pocket). Components, frames, frame making owners, wheels, handlebars, bearings, etc.
I still think Rapha doesn't deserve your ire. Don't sell it BTW.

I'm tapping out of this one.........................................