I've been using Michelin Pro Race tires
for the last 2 years, but am open to
suggestions. Seems like the Pro Race
tires are easily cut and would like to
find something a bit more durable.

conti grandprix

bcm119
06-06-2005, 03:55 PM
Are you using the new Pro2 Race tires, or the older Pro Races? I just started using the Pro2's and they seem less susceptible to cuts. The tread is slightly gummier and I have no cuts after a few weeks.

Of course, if you want to give up ride quality you have other options...

cinelli
06-06-2005, 03:59 PM
Using last years Pro Race Michelins.
Are the new ones any different?

Spinsistah
06-06-2005, 03:59 PM
I like the Vittoria Open Corsa Evo CX clinchers. I have had no problem with these tires flatting out on any type of roads, have been through glass, over bad railroad tracks, etc. The ride is really nice, very smooth and "cushy."

Doc Austin
06-06-2005, 04:20 PM
My experience with the Michelins has been good, but if I get more than a couple of consecutive flats (with any brand tire) I've probably got a small cut that is pinching the new tubes, or maybe even some glass or something that I can't find. If it gets that bad I throw the tire away and get another one. $50 is nothing if you ride a $6,000 bike and I can't afford to have a tire go down when I am cornering hard. If I break a hip I'm probably a dead man.

JMHO, of course. Not an expert, but this is what works for me.

davids
06-06-2005, 04:23 PM
I've had a lot of cuts on my Veloflex Blacks. When it happened to my first tire, I replaced it right away. But when it kept happening to the next tires, I ignored it!

Now they've got lots of little cuts (none through to the tube), but they seem to have no effect on tube life or flatting. I don't know if I'm being savvy or naive... :confused:

FWIW, I had much better luck (as far as cuts) with my old Michelins than with the Veloflexes. But the Veloflexes are lighter and more supple.

coylifut
06-06-2005, 04:25 PM
I've been using the Michelin Carbons lately. They are currently on sale for $25 or so. They don't have quite the road feel of the lighter - more expensive racing clinchers, but fit the bill nicely as training rubber. I've ridden through alot of glass on em and they've held up nicely.

As mentioned above, I've found the GP 3000 to be quite flat resistant with a very nice ride. However, after using them for a few years I lost a couple straight away to sidewall cuts recently. I do ride a disproportionate amount of gravel compared to most.

The Vredesteins are nice as well.

cinelli
06-06-2005, 04:25 PM
I live by the two flat rule: First flat,
whether by cut or pinch, and I replace
the tube....
Second flat and the tire is history.

Ken Robb
06-06-2005, 05:15 PM
I like conti ultragatorskins--I hated Specialized Armadillos--too many cuts w/Michelin Open Pros so I haven't ridden the pro-race at all. Oh yeah, the Rivendell Ruffy-Tuffys are good to, if you have room for a real 27mm tire.

Ozz
06-06-2005, 05:19 PM
I've never had any problem with the Conti GP3000....so I decided to try the new Michelin ProRace2's...cuz they came in blue & black and the Michelin blue was a better match than the Conti blue... :rolleyes:

Only have one ride on them so far, and I think they are fine...and of course they look cool! :cool:

Ride is comparable to the GP3000's...they seem to have "rounder" profile. With only one ride in, I am not sure I can provide meaningrful commentary regarding durability.

I will toss a tire if I can see where a flat cut thru the tread, or if a cut is more than a couple mm in length.

RichMc
06-06-2005, 05:34 PM
I vote for the Michelin Carbon's. Like Coyifut says there is a bit of difference in the ride, very minor though, and they seem to hold up well. The roads in Hawaii seem like they are paved with broken Heinekin bottles.

mdeeds71
06-06-2005, 06:55 PM
:D I have a set of Conti Ultra 2000s...Good bang for the buck...for training rubber...

I was on a ride today...saw a mess of glass...had nowhere to go...except for a oncoming car vs the glass...well I took the glass... :crap:

Stopped to do the inspection fully thinking I would here that nemisis sound...but found nothing...I mean this was classic dump the bottles here for the next car to run over stuff...but nothing just some very shallow cuts... :banana:

I use the 25 with about 102 front and 105 back and I weigh 180...They have about 500 miles and I can still see the center line casted in the rubber on the front and can baqely see it on the back...holding up well...cant give any insight on the wet performance...hasn't rained here for a while...but they seem to go through the sprinklers good :D

I am going to give some Vittorias a try...but wish they came in 25s...I have been told the 23s in Vit are like a 24/25 in conti.

Dekonick
06-06-2005, 07:09 PM
I will toss a tire if I can see where a flat cut thru the tread, or if a cut is more than a couple mm in length.

Why not save em and use them on a trainer?

Dekonick
06-06-2005, 07:11 PM
I have armodillo's on one bike - ride like crap but cant flat em....

good thing I have a DKS rear! :)

soulspinner
06-06-2005, 07:16 PM
Another vote for Michelin Carbons for piling on the miles. I have well over 3thousand on the rear of one bike and going strong. I have Conti Gatorskins on another with good results. Race on the lighter stuff and train on the Carbons....

BumbleBeeDave
06-06-2005, 07:23 PM
I got my Legend in 2001 with Vittoria Open Corsas and the first set wore great. Second set was crap, so I switched to Rubinos. They wore great and in the meantime Vittoria came out with the Open Corsa Evo CX with the kevlar particles in the rubber--supposed to be more durable. So far they d@mn well are. Got a pair at the beginning of last season and wore the rear tire down to the chord (not on purpose!) qnd never a flat. Still have the front one on and new rear tire with about 2000 miles on it so far.

The difference between the old Open Corsa and the Evo is obvious--fewer cuts, great wear. The few small cuts I’ve had I’ve used the Super-Glue trick on ‘em and it works great. I would heartily recommend them, but be careful if you are buying mail order or eBay that they really ARE the newer Evo model. Some sources still have old stock of the pre-Evo.

Are we not men? We are EVO!!! :rolleyes:

BBDave

Ti-Boy
06-06-2005, 07:38 PM
In the same boat- love the ProRace, but they sure cut fast. I have Conti 4 Season on one bike and they seem to hold up well. Looking for a decent riding, but dependable tire for Bike VA at the end of the month.

Fixed
06-06-2005, 09:01 PM
Being a messenger on my fixed gear work bike I need tires that last and that are cheap Conti 1000s/28 my shop sells them to me for $9.00 .On my road bike I race on Conti. sprinters they go for about $50.00. Cheers.

Matt Barkley
06-06-2005, 10:09 PM
Schwalbe, as in Ricky Schwalbe. Stelvio with RaceGaurd. Or as I have mentioned before what works great for me and others is Veloflex Paves or Blacks as aformentioned with the addition of trimmed Mr.Tuffys. :beer: - Matt

coylifut
06-06-2005, 11:15 PM
Schwalbe, as in Ricky Schwalbe. Stelvio with RaceGaurd. Or as I have mentioned before what works great for me and others is Veloflex Paves or Blacks as aformentioned with the addition of trimmed Mr.Tuffys. :beer: - Matt

what do the my tuffys do the the ride quality? comments?

Ken Robb
06-06-2005, 11:23 PM
they are outstanding:nice and round profile so they lean in very well. No flats with them either though they are on my wife's bike and the mileage is not yet high.

hypnospin
06-07-2005, 12:56 AM
i can attest to the durability of the conti grand prix.(NOT grand prix 3000, mind you)
the all black/ black sidewall version is best. older exposed sidewall versions were prone to fraying. not that it mattered, in terms of durabilty.

super high thread count,multi belted, thick actual wearing surface, reasonable
traction and ride quality. made in germany.
too bad they seem to be eclipsed in popularity by the inferior 3000s, a decent enough tire but ridiculously quick wearing in even favorable real world riding conditions.

conti grandprix