PDA

View Full Version : Hammer Nutrition

RichMc
06-06-2005, 12:50 PM
Have any of you out there used or use any of the Hammer Nutrition line of products? I'd be especially interested in reviews of Sustained Energy / Perpetuem and Endurolytes. Recoverite also looks interesting. Do you agree with the complex carbohydrate theory they espouse?

Too Tall
06-06-2005, 12:56 PM
Works :)

Feel free to ask me questions in PM or call me on cell. I've used this line for many yrs. through 3 X-USA crossings, 2 PBPs and USCF racing and training. The crew at E-Caps are a very ethical bunch who go to great lenghts to use the best ingredients and freely share their insights.

Am I biased, yup.

SGP
06-06-2005, 01:23 PM
i have used h.e.e.d. and hammer gel. i love 'em, they work great.

Climb01742
06-06-2005, 01:29 PM
i just went to their website. quite interesting but it's a bit overwhelming. any suggestions on a good way to start, or try, their products? it seems like starting with hammer gels and the recovery drink/powder might be good. what would you suggest trying first? thanks.

Too Tall
06-06-2005, 01:41 PM
A recommend for "the basics" or "where to start":

For Hard / Fast training and racing:
Sustained Energy + Endurolytes

For long riders and mostly aerobic exercise:
Perpetum + Endurolytes

At Home:
Premium Insurance Caps
================================================== ========
Almost all of my riding and racing is done with 3 scoops of Sustained Energy in each large bottle with 2-4 endurolytes / hr.

For racing I take Race Caps at the start and during the race.

After a race or hard ride I take Super AO antioxydent with a "Recovery Drink". Their "Recoverite" recovery drink works very well btw.

Hammer Gel I use as a convenience thing...it is compact and easy calories in gel from I can keep handy in my back pocket. A flask is nearly 600 calories so that's my insurance during longer rides.

How easy is that?

Ken Lehner
06-06-2005, 03:08 PM
Have any of you out there used or use any of the Hammer Nutrition line of products? I'd be especially interested in reviews of Sustained Energy / Perpetuem and Endurolytes. Recoverite also looks interesting. Do you agree with the complex carbohydrate theory they espouse?

I'm using their Perpetuem in triple strength form for a half Ironman this weekend. 7 scoops or so in a water bottle (~900 kCal) on the seat tube, and water in my aero bottle. Also, I'm mixing in 5 Endurolytes in the Perpetuem. Seems to work pretty well the couple of times I tried it.

RichMc
06-06-2005, 05:36 PM
Thanks guys. I'm going to use some of their products on the Ride the Rockies.

Matt Barkley
06-06-2005, 06:42 PM
You can't buy performace. ;) Trust me - I have tried!!! Now back to the Harp.... :beer: E-Caps are fine. :) Ever checked out Sportquest? Cheers - Matt

Too Tall
06-06-2005, 06:53 PM
What Matt said but we can do everything in our power to have excellent nutrition and esp. for masters athletes work hard on our recovery.

Dang Matt I had never heard of that company and from a brief look like what I see. Nothing artificial, no wierd chinese herbs, good science, complex carbs...it's all good. Nice advice Matt, it's good to have choices.

hypnos
06-06-2005, 07:57 PM
Would generic, buy in bulk, maltodextrin be equivalent to these expensive name-brand complex carbohydrate products (Sustained Energy, Carbo Pro)?

amper
06-06-2005, 08:27 PM
I buy 7 lbs. of Now brand 100% maltodextrin for $11.95 and 2 lbs of Now brand Soy protein for $11.08 and make my own concoctions. There is a site that offers free shipping with $50.00 orders, PM me if you need details. That beats $1.99 for the single servings of Sustained Energy and for me it works the same only much cheaper. As far as the Hammer Gel goes I’ve been using the apple cinnamon, raspberry flavored Hammer gel along with the Espresso caffeinated gel for years and have yet to find a better gel. They give you a discount on the Gels if you buy three or more.

kkasper4
06-06-2005, 08:56 PM
Just a word of caution. I have no experience with the above products, but I recently ran into problems with Optygen and Endurox. I had a routine blood draw for a life inusrance policy, which revealed elevated liver enzymes. I repeated these tests 2 weeks later at my hospital (I'm a doctor), which confirmed the elevated readings. I discontinued the 2 supplements I was taking for 2 weeks, and again repeated the tests. The result was my enzyme levels had returned to normal. I'm not sure which product was responsible, and I can't say for 100% certainty that either product was at fault, but I know I will think twice about any future supplements I consume.

hypnos
06-06-2005, 09:59 PM
I'm not sure what supplements you were taking. Are maltodextrin and soy protein really supplements? These things are contained in countless food products.

hypnospin
06-07-2005, 12:26 AM
i rarely ride without race caps, h-gel and heed, with recoverite apres ride.
i am sponsored team member, if you use my cusomer number you can take 15% off your hammer or e-caps order. they will give you a 15% dicount , just enter
customer#40630

RichMc
06-07-2005, 12:38 AM
Thanks Hypnospin! That customer number may come in handy later but since my time is so short I will have to be buying across the counter next week in Colorado Springs. That's my jumping off point to get to Grand Junction. I appreciate the offer though.

toaster
06-07-2005, 01:17 AM
Don't they advocate drinking distilled water?

Too Tall
06-07-2005, 06:46 AM
Hypnos - Yep it is similar not the same but he fine points are worth digging into if you care. You'll find that per serving the e-caps stuff is less $$ than most comparable commercial products.

If you use plain (generic if you will) Malto dextran such as what you can buy from any beer supply company you will have a tough time getting it to dissolve well in water. Running it through a fine screen will help alot. You can figure out the calories by weight / grams.

Amper - Assume you are using this as a recovery drink or not? You indicated Soy as the protein and that's not optimal for aerobic activities but fer sher the right choice for recovery or maybe you are a veggie?

Charley
06-07-2005, 09:16 AM
I have used the following Hammer products for about a year now.

HEED - My primary on the bike energy source. It works great, tastes decent to me, and is reasonably cost effective compared to many alternatives.

Hammer Gel - I occasionally use it for variety, but find the HEED works fine by itself. HG is by far the best gel I have ever used. It does not provide the big energy surge and then low that others give me. It is very steady.

Recoverite - I have tried several recovery drinks and have found Endurox and Hammer's Recoverite to provide a noticable benefit. I use Hammer's because I'm already ordering their other products.

Endurolytes - These have been a life saver for me. I am very prone to cramping. It was getting so bad before I tried the endurolytes that I was considering giving up high endurance events. The endurolytes have made a huge difference. It took some experimentation to get the dosage right but completely worth it.

Sustained Energy - I've experimented quite a bit with it and find my stomach does not tolerate it well, although I'm the only one I've found with this problem. I can only use it in very dilute form and usually just stick with the HEED.

Hammer Nutrition customer service has been great. Very refreshing in today's world.

I am not associated with HN, just a satisfied customer.

weisan
06-07-2005, 09:22 AM
Okay, I am hooked.

My biggest problem with riding long distances is leg cramps. I am thinking of trying the Endurolytes.

Anyone wants to sign me up (or I sign you up) so we can both enjoy the discount benefits (http://www.e-caps.com/za/ECP?PAGE=FREE_PRODUCT)? :D

weisan

Blastinbob
06-07-2005, 09:50 AM
Weisan, you will now receive the discount and your cramps will be gone........can you handle swallowing horse pills ?

uncle Bob

weisan
06-07-2005, 10:31 AM
Weisan, you will now receive the discount and your cramps will be gone........can you handle swallowing horse pills ?

uncle Bob

Uncle Bob, I think I can handle anything after being raised in the farm by you and Aunt Annie eating rotted corns and sleeping in the pig pen. :D

Blastinbob
06-07-2005, 11:14 AM
Uncle Bob, I think I can handle anything after being raised in the farm by you and Aunt Annie eating rotted corns and sleeping in the pig pen. :D
You should be thankful ! :p

Bruce K
06-07-2005, 11:18 AM
As an older, charity event, touring type rider, who doesn't do well in heat, I have found the Endurlytes to be a lifesaver.

I also use only Hammer Gel for the quick pick-me-up. Apple Cinammon is the bomb!

Both flavors of HEED are pretty good and the stuff seems to work well.

BK

weisan
06-07-2005, 11:34 AM
You should be thankful ! :p

But I AM!!
You gonna to leave me with the ParleeZoomZoom and the Sachs when you're gone, RIGHT?!? :rolleyes:
Uncle Bob, you've got mail.

Bruce-pal, how's the dad doing?
You forgot two other specialty events you do also: TT and CycloCross.

weisan
06-07-2005, 12:59 PM
Uncle Bob has sent me his social security number...erh, I mean, he had sent me his cust # for the 15% discount (he gets 25%, how fair is that?!!), and I am ready to make an order on e-Caps website. Before I do, I have one quick question, maybe Tall-pal, you can address it.

I am interested specifically on Endurolytes. Is there any difference between the capsule and powder form in terms of body absorption and performance? I like the capsule 'cos I can carry a few extra with me on the ride in case I need it. But I don't want to buy that if it takes longer to take effect, especially after the ride is over. Although it would be nice to end a ride and still feel fresh and energetic because the wife and kids sort of expect me to come home and pick up the pieces without dropping a beat. Sorry, no naps for me. :no: ;) :p

weisan

amper
06-07-2005, 05:06 PM
I also highly recommend the Endurolytes pills. I’ve had my share of cramps ridding in Florida, and the Endurolytes really help me. I take two Endurolytes pills per hour on centuries. I put four in a tiny zip lock baggy and have multiple baggies in my jersey pockets. I put half the baggy in my mouth and use my teeth to pull 2 pills out, easy to do in a pace line. I carry 2 flasks during my ride and consume 1 serving of Hammer Gel per half hour along with an occasional Fig Newton thrown in. I also use one scoop soy powder, three servings of chocolate Hammer gel, and three scopes of maltodextrin blended in water with a hand blender the night before a ride. This water bottle good for 640 calories, 145 grams carbs, and 12 grams protein. I take a couple of sips per hour and it actually sits very well in my stomach. As a type II diabetic I have learned the art of grazing during long events. Gels flasks are so convenient and easy to use.

weisan
06-07-2005, 05:25 PM
I carry 2 flasks during my ride and consume 1 serving of Hammer Gel per half hour along with an occasional Fig Newton thrown in. I also use one scoop soy powder, three servings of chocolate Hammer gel, and three scopes of maltodextrin blended in water with a hand blender the night before a ride. This water bottle good for 640 calories, 145 grams carbs, and 12 grams protein.

Amper-pal, thanks for sharing your experience. But I got to tell you man, you lost me somewhere on the second line...it reminds me of the stinkin' IQ test my teacher hooked me up with during high school:

Mary had a number of cookies. After eating one, she gave half the remainer to her sister. After eating another cookie, she gave half of what was left to her brother. Mary now had only five cookies left. How many cookies did she start with?

a) 11
b) 22
c) 23
d) 45
e) 46

I failed the test so badly that he condemned me forever to "second-grade material" as I am sure Dr. DOofUs would do the same. That's disappointing b'cos I could have gone a lot further in life if he had given me the chance.... :D :p ;)

SoCalSteve
06-07-2005, 06:58 PM
I just finished an 8 hour course with Arnie Baker (if you dont know who he is, look him up on the net at: ArnieBakercycling.com) and what he suggests is buying Malodextrin in bulk and making your own concoction. For what its worth....I prefer to just use Cliff Shots and CrankSports electrolyte drinks. Not too expensive, tasty and very convenient.

Just one Coaches opinion,

Steve

PS I am now a Certified Coach (through Arnie Baker,. for what thats worth)

amper
06-07-2005, 07:34 PM
Amper-pal, thanks for sharing your experience. But I got to tell you man, you lost me somewhere on the second line...it reminds me of the stinkin' IQ test my teacher hooked me up with during high school:

Amper’s own blend.

Ingredients:
¾ cup matodextrin (Now brand)
¼ cup soy powder (Now brand)
6 table spoons Hammer gel
Pinch of cinnamon
1 teaspoon instant coffee (optional)
16 oz water

Mix all ingredients with a blender until everything is dissolved. Yields approximately 640 calories, 145 grams carbs, 15 grams protein, and the caffeine gives you a little kick. I take a sip every 15 minutes along with 20oz of water or diluted Gatorade per hour. For me the nutrition part of eating and hydrating properly during a ride is critical to finishing strong or bonking. That’s why I like to experiment with different mixes.

weisan
06-07-2005, 10:21 PM
Oh, that is so much easier for my simple brain to assimilate the information esp. the maths. So, THANK YOU, amper-pal!
;)

Just one more question:
I take a sip every 15 minutes along with 20oz of water or diluted Gatorade per hour.

So, do I finish drinking the entire 20oz of water or diluted Gatorade every 15 minutes or should I wait until the hour is up and drink all ...erh wait a sec, let me calculate....60 divided by 15 multiplied by 20oz = 80 oz of it AT ONCE!!??

I know...my high school teacher pretty much said I am close to hopeless. :D

700 x 23c
06-08-2005, 01:02 AM
It is funny to look at all these products and compare the contents. I really wonder if you could get by with water and some a few shakes of a salt shaker and eat a banana once every couple of hours. A banana has more potassium and carbs than most of the above products.

toaster
06-08-2005, 01:27 AM
I was reading the label on Cytomax the other day, whey protein, canola oil, sugar and some vitamins.

I could make my own!

Food is food.

Hammer Nutrition pills are 99% hype and 1% potassium and salt.

None of it is proven to improve athletic performance.

Climb01742
06-08-2005, 03:29 AM
it is hard to figure out what's effective and what's hype. i've been trying the glass of chocolate skim milk as a right-after ride recovery drink. its tasty, easy and *seems* to work. that's the hard part. whether something "works" is usually quite subjective. my "test" is how do i feel the following day as i ride? but in the 24 hours between rides, i eat a lot of things, sleep, work, whatever. trying to isolate variables is hard. i'm not questioning or judging any particular products...just saying its hard to know what's what.

weisan
06-20-2005, 10:24 AM
A recommend for "the basics" or "where to start":

For Hard / Fast training and racing:
Sustained Energy + Endurolytes

For long riders and mostly aerobic exercise:
Perpetum + Endurolytes

At Home:
Premium Insurance Caps
================================================== ========
Almost all of my riding and racing is done with 3 scoops of Sustained Energy in each large bottle with 2-4 endurolytes / hr.

For racing I take Race Caps at the start and during the race.

After a race or hard ride I take Super AO antioxydent with a "Recovery Drink". Their "Recoverite" recovery drink works very well btw.

Hammer Gel I use as a convenience thing...it is compact and easy calories in gel from I can keep handy in my back pocket. A flask is nearly 600 calories so that's my insurance during longer rides.

How easy is that?

I wanna to sing praise of those guys in e_caps (http://www.e-caps.com/). I ordered ONE can of electrolytes capsules (and giving Uncle Bob 25% off on his next purchase :D) The package came in last week, opened it and...surprise surprise, they got the order all **wrong**.... let's see....there's a can of e-capsule (what I ordered)...there's a **FREE** can of HammerHEED, there are three **FREE** packs of HammerGEL, and lastly after sifting through all the "promotional materials" they sent to first-time buyer, I found the "gem" - it's an edurance athlete training guide book they produced probably in house...called "The Eudurance Athlete's Guide to Success", flipped through the entire thing, read the first chapter on "The 10 biggest mistakes endurance athletes make"...interesting book...it's **FREE**
I got all these FREEBIES on top of my original order of a can of e-caps. Pretty cool! I took two tablets during the Saturday ride in the 100 degrees heat for a 80miles-distance, normally getting in at the last 10 miles I would feel tension building up in my legs working towards a cramp...but not this time...nope, b'cos I have got E-C-A-P-S. :p

weisan

scrooge
06-20-2005, 10:48 AM
Wow. I used Endurolytes for the first time this weekend on my 24 hour challenge (340 Miles!! I'm excited!) At the first check point my wife pulled one out and I was sure she was mis-reading the directions when she said I was supposed to swallow the whole pill. It was just huge! Instead, I had her break the tablets apart and dissolve them in water or Gatorade. Seemed to work great (but then again, I've never done an event like this before, so I have nothing to compare my performance with.) I would recommend them--I paid 12 bucks for a botttle of 120 (I think) at a local fitness store. Not bad.

weisan
06-20-2005, 11:07 AM
I paid 12 bucks for a botttle of 120 (I think) at a local fitness store. Not bad.

I paid $17.95 for the bottle of 120 caps on their website and you said you got it for "12 bucks" at a local fitness store...hmmm?? :confused: