PDA

View Full Version : is this necessary - seizing ti question

vqdriver
04-13-2011, 12:25 PM
i picked up a used frame a while back that has a titanium headtube. there's a king headset already installed and i assume it's been there since the original owner built it up back in 04/05. do i need to remove and reinstall the headset?

old_fat_and_slow
04-13-2011, 12:33 PM
Not familiar with any idiosyncrasies of King headsets, but just to be safe, I would. Especially since everything is disassembled already.

Seems like pretty cheap insurance to me.

YMMV

John M
04-13-2011, 12:47 PM
If the HS is in good condition and the cups are installed properly, I would leave it and use it. If you do go the removal route, use proper tools.

AngryScientist
04-13-2011, 01:21 PM
If the HS is in good condition and the cups are installed properly, I would leave it and use it. If you do go the removal route, use proper tools.

there isnt much that's going to go wrong with that King headset that will require its removal, so if it's in good shape, i say let it ride.

jr59
04-13-2011, 01:27 PM
Oh NO!

It's in a Ti bike! You should not use it, it may have been left out in the sun and will explode! :banana:

vqdriver
04-13-2011, 01:30 PM
there isnt much that's going to go wrong with that King headset that will require its removal, so if it's in good shape, i say let it ride.

it's not so much the headset itself that i'm concerned with. it's the headset seizing itself to the titanium headtube. it's my first frame with any ti in it so i'm sensitive to all those frozen-seatpost-in-a-ti-frame threads.

on a related note, should i remove the factory threadlock on the bb cups and grease it instead?

AngryScientist
04-13-2011, 01:35 PM
it's not so much the headset itself that i'm concerned with. it's the headset seizing itself to the titanium headtube. it's my first frame with any ti in it so i'm sensitive to all those frozen-seatpost-in-a-ti-frame threads.

on a related note, should i remove the factory threadlock on the bb cups and grease it instead?

yea, that was my point - there is not too many reasons in the future where you would need to remove the headset cups from the head tube, so it's really not worth worrying about.

Re: BB cups, i'd leave whatever dry threadprep is in place on the cups but use a healthy dose of anti-seize on the threads. worked for my Ti frame just fine. came out one year later like butter.

Kontact
04-13-2011, 01:39 PM
From what I've seen, it isn't just seizing you should be concerned about - galling of the aluminum King cups can be an issue. Since there's no way of knowing what the original assembler did, and the bike is in pieces, I'd take the opportunity to schmear some anti-seize in there. You can make a headset press at the hardware store for $10, if that's the issue.

Getting the frame bare is also an opportunity to brush out any scuffs and weigh it - if you're curious.

vqdriver
04-13-2011, 01:46 PM
Gotcha. ;)

yea, that was my point - there is not too many reasons in the future where you would need to remove the headset cups from the head tube, so it's really not worth worrying about.

Re: BB cups, i'd leave whatever dry threadprep is in place on the cups but use a healthy dose of anti-seize on the threads. worked for my Ti frame just fine. came out one year later like butter.

Black Dog
04-13-2011, 01:46 PM
I have a Ti frame and use anti-seize on all threads. I also have a king headset with no anti-seize or grease. The CK cups are anodized and this helps prevent the galvanic welding that occurs with Ti and Al or Steel. There is not much point since the fit is so tight that the grease or anti-seize gets pushed out when installing. Also, since removal involves percussion, even a seized headset cup will pop out after a few good whacks. Non the less, it will not cause any harm to put it on the cup and the inside of the head tube before installation.

CK headsets will outlast the frame and the rider.

tuxbailey
04-13-2011, 02:32 PM
CK headsets will outlast the frame and the rider.

Good to know.