PDA

View Full Version : Best riding in New Jersey ?

NYC.Boricua
06-06-2005, 08:08 AM
Does anyone know where the best riding in New Jersey is (?), particulalry, if one lives in the city and wants to go away for weekend ?
Thanks,

Bruce Jacobs
06-06-2005, 08:12 AM
http://pirate.shu.edu/~train2/mafw.htm

I am not a member of the Morris County Freewheelers but know many that are. This site gives you ride schedules and a link to their home page. Nice scenery, rolling hills, fresh air-not bad.

Bruce

William
06-06-2005, 08:13 AM
Does anyone know where the best riding in New Jersey is (?), particulalry, if one lives in the city and wants to go away for weekend ?
Thanks,

That's Molly22's neck of the woods....though she may be moving to Texas.

William

keno
06-06-2005, 03:15 PM
http://www.nycc.org/rl_db/region.aspx?id=2

I live in Hunterdon County, which is about 45 miles west of the city and has great riding. The northwestern part of the state has some very hilly terrain. If you go a bit farther into PA, Bucks County has terrific riding.

If you give me an idea of length of rides and pace, I might be able to give you more concrete info.

keno

Sandy
06-06-2005, 03:21 PM
any that you do with Keno.

So Sweet So Sensitive So Serotta Sandy

97CSI
06-06-2005, 05:42 PM
Base your weekend out of Lambertville, NJ. Terrific town on the Delaware River that is full of excellent restaurants and antique shops. Ride north along the river and a bit east for nice rolling hills. Or, like Keno notes, across the river into Bucks Country, PA. Check out the Princton Freewheelers, I believe it is. And the bonus is New Hope, PA. Is an easy walk across a great old iron bridge from Lambertville. Again, good restaurants and shops. Something to do while you are off the bike. Also, check out the Central Bucks Bike Club for rides and info.

NYC.Boricua
06-06-2005, 06:34 PM
I have done the Montauk century this year, also the Bloomin metric(62&hills)) and the Ice cream ride(62&hills) in Suffern. I trained with the NYCC B-sig:B18 group this year,missing only one session.

Eventually, I would like to consider buying a small place where I can do some nice riding away from the city on the weekends and/or holidays.

thanks for the great info.

http://www.nycc.org/rl_db/region.aspx?id=2

I live in Hunterdon County, which is about 45 miles west of the city and has great riding. The northwestern part of the state has some very hilly terrain. If you go a bit farther into PA, Bucks County has terrific riding.

If you give me an idea of length of rides and pace, I might be able to give you more concrete info.

keno

NYC.Boricua
06-06-2005, 06:38 PM
I missed this thread earlier, are there any comfortable places to stay in those areas(?). Very informative, will follow up.
Thanks,

Base your weekend out of Lambertville, NJ. Terrific town on the Delaware River that is full of excellent restaurants and antique shops. Ride north along the river and a bit east for nice rolling hills. Or, like Keno notes, across the river into Bucks Country, PA. Check out the Princton Freewheelers, I believe it is. And the bonus is New Hope, PA. Is an easy walk across a great old iron bridge from Lambertville. Again, good restaurants and shops. Something to do while you are off the bike. Also, check out the Central Bucks Bike Club for rides and info.

97CSI
06-06-2005, 06:48 PM
Smack in the center of Lambertville is a restored 1850's hotel that the guy spent $millions on when we lived there in '95-99. Really well done. Believe it is the Lambertville House/Hotel. And the Lambertville Station is a decent restaurant in the restored train station along the river. They have a hotel. And are several restored Victorian houses in town that are B&Bs. Very nice. Just google up Lambertville and you'll find them. Same with New Hope. They have a Holiday Inn and a Best Western and a couple of others. It is quite a bit larger than Lambertville and better known as a weekend mecca, so has more to offer in the way of accommodations. It has a jumping nightlife scene, as well. Especially in the warm weather. Google New Hope, as well. If you are taking a lady friend, she'll love it. Get county maps for the best riding. Also, check with Knapp's, the Serotta dealer in Lawrenceville, NJ (~10 miles south of Lambertville) for some good routes.

Ti-Boy
06-06-2005, 07:52 PM
It's a well kept secret, but there is some fabulous riding in New Jersey. Hunterdon, Warren, Somerset and Sussex Counties provide unlimited rural roads and all the climbing you can handle.

christian
06-06-2005, 08:12 PM
Hey NYC.Boricua,

I'm Christian who led one of the other B18 groups. Nice to see you on the Serotta forum.

- Christian

NYC.Boricua
06-06-2005, 09:17 PM
Hey Christian,
Nice to hear from you. We met, you led the NYCC Cold Springs graduation ride, I was riding the serrota legend ti. That particular ride taught me much about proper hydration, rest and nutrition. I now know what 'burning your matches mean'.
Daniel

Hey NYC.Boricua,

I'm Christian who led one of the other B18 groups. Nice to see you on the Serotta forum.

- Christian

Rich_W
06-07-2005, 07:23 AM
Just ride over the GW bridge, make a right... and head up to Harriman. •Gate Hill Climb
•Torati Climb
•Route 106 Climb
•Welch drive decent
•Bear MTN bridge