PDA

View Full Version : NoVA cyclist

dsimon
04-13-2011, 08:11 AM
Anyone live near woodbridge,Va if so hows the ridding there

Gummee
04-13-2011, 09:45 AM
Quite frankly, it sucks. The exception being MAYBE Lake Ridge on the back roads.

I'm out in Nokesville. Where the roads are... If you want someone to show you around, PM me.

If you're close enough to the PW Parkway, you can ride here. Ditto with 234.

HTH

M

sc53
04-13-2011, 02:02 PM
Traffic and roads hideous around Woodbridge. But if you're willing to put your bike in your car, you can get to some scenic areas pretty fast. Nokesville area has some good riding, we have a couple of rides that start at a park out there.

ultraman6970
04-13-2011, 05:17 PM
I agree, awefull around that area. Worked in Fort Belvoir and darn the traffic was bad.

dsimon
04-13-2011, 06:17 PM
Thank you Ill be working at Fort Myers, and we kinda narrowed the house search to manassas and lake ridge in woodbridge, well be there this weekend house hunting so well see. thanks for the info

Gummee
04-13-2011, 08:48 PM
You can get there either way: 66 or 95. IF you're interested, you can drive into Vienna and then take the W&OD trail into work. It'll take you a hair over an hour to get from the caboose to Ft Myer (IIRC)

Working at Ft Myer, you needta make sure you get across the bridge to Hanes Point (sp?) for the Tues/Thurs lunch ride. After all, its hammer time! I'm assuming that's still going on. I haven't been since 97 or so.

If you go to map my ride, you'll see where the rides are. For example there's 347 different listings out of Warrenton.

HTH

M

cody.wms
04-13-2011, 09:13 PM
Manassas or Woodbridge to Fort Meyer is an awful long drive during rush hour, just so you know.

dsimon
04-13-2011, 09:22 PM
THanks Im sure it will be but thankfully I will only be fighting it in the evening unless theres allot of people on the hwy at 5am.

ultraman6970
04-13-2011, 09:57 PM
I cant even imagine the driving from 95 south to arlington in the morning or in the afternoon, the issue is that you will go with the traffic all the time. Darn!

If i was you i would try to find something around:

- Falls church, seven corners or columbia pike area, skyline will do it also

- Clarendon area

5AM is not that of a problem with the traffic, that means u have to come back around 2 pm, that's not a problem either but at 3 pm is already packed, people wake up really early here because of the traffic.

We need to met all the suckers we live in DC metro area, maybe in the WOD trail at 28, maybe go to the mountains or something. I know maximus has not been in the mountains here, it could be a good experience for him hehe :)

maximus
04-13-2011, 10:01 PM
If you can make it closer to the city (Alexandria/Arlington) on the weekends, there is great cycling. Pretty much anything south blowz.

A lot of communities have local trails. I know 234 has a loooong, wide paved sidewalk that you can put some miles on. The problem with the NoVA areas (an most sprawling suburbs) is the lack of driver awareness when it comes to cyclist. Most have no experience driving around them since the roads aren't bike friendly. You just aren't expected.

Not all is lost though. Spring is here and I am sure there is plenty of riding for the brave.

Gummee
04-14-2011, 07:26 AM
THanks Im sure it will be but thankfully I will only be fighting it in the evening unless theres allot of people on the hwy at 5am.The earlier you go, the worse it is.

G'luck

M

edited to add: Not that I'm up that early mind you! I don't work till 1100. In fact, I need to go go for a ride!

sc53
04-14-2011, 10:33 AM
Oh yeah, there are a LOT of people on 66 and 95 at 5 am. You'll have to commute at 4 am to "beat" the traffic. See if you can find anything affordable in Arlington-Clarendon, Falls Church, Alexandria, or Vienna (you can bike the W&OD bike trail from Vienna or Falls Church into Arlington and DC).

dsimon
04-14-2011, 11:42 AM
Wish I could but the requirements of a 4bed 2 bath 2 car garage single family home in a good school district under 375, I have to push out it is what it is

ultraman6970
04-14-2011, 12:14 PM
Well good luck lets know your experiences meanwhile as an advance, with rain everybody rides like crap in here for some idiotic reason. Asian old woman drives bad, if not terrible.

If you want to meet for a ride let me know, we have a trip waiting with maximus to a shop one of these days, probably you will love to masturbate with him in while looking stuff, he wont feel uncomfortable that way :D

:D

Gummee
04-14-2011, 12:15 PM
Wish I could but the requirements of a 4bed 2 bath 2 car garage single family home in a good school district under 375, I have to push out it is what it is
Braemar and points just south of Man@sshole are better. Look for houses off Linton Hall Rd. GREAT cycling and no Man@sshole to deal with till you need to.

M

rugbysecondrow
04-14-2011, 01:23 PM
Well good luck lets know your experiences meanwhile as an advance, with rain everybody rides like crap in here for some idiotic reason. Asian old woman drives bad, if not terrible.

If you want to meet for a ride let me know, we have a trip waiting with maximus to a shop one of these days, probably you will love to masturbate with him in while looking stuff, he wont feel uncomfortable that way :D

:D

You guys do it differently in DC/NOVA huh? When I get together with folks, we take care of business individually before or after, but not during and not together. It must be a cultural phenom, like shaving legs. :D

Best of Like CSI Feller with the move. If you drop the need for a garage, you will find more options I bet.

Cheers

palincss
04-14-2011, 04:13 PM
THanks Im sure it will be but thankfully I will only be fighting it in the evening unless theres allot of people on the hwy at 5am.

Rush hour has over time started earlier and earlier. A year or two ago, there was a piece about Gainesville (near Nokesville, mentioned earlier) in the Washington Post, where the owner of a convenience store that used to open around 7 or 8 am was griping that he had to get up at 2:30 or so because his morning rush, commuters getting coffee, now began at around 3:30 am.

Before you make a final decision about where to live, you really should try the commute during business hours.

Back when the Burke Lake area first began to be developed, a co-worker of mine tried the drive into the District on a weekend. She waxed lyrical, only 15 minutes! A few minutes from her development onto I95, and a quick blitz north on the Interstate and there you are! It was wonderful, she said. So she moved there, and on her first day it took her a half hour just to get onto the Interstate, and from there it was a parking lot all the way north to the District. Total commute time was something like 2 1/2 hours.

And that was almost 30 years ago, back when Woodbridge was open farm land.

zennmotion
04-15-2011, 02:15 PM

I've lived, owned a home, worked and bike commuted in Falls Church, Arlington, and Fairfax areas for almost a decade. The areas you are contemplating all require commuting on the most congested sections of road(s) in the entire country. The 495/beltway between Alexandria and Tysons Corner is under and will be under intensive construction for years to come. I would really find a way, any way to settle inside the beltway unless your new job allows telecommuting several days a week or flex time that allows (very) odd office hours. The roads coming in from South and West are choked well before 6:30am, and again at 2:30 PM until 7:30pm or so. Woodbridge, Manassas areas? No effing way for me to justify that kind of a commute, I'd sooner rent. The 2 car garage requirement really limits the options, but a 4 BR house with street parking at or a little above your max price range should be do-able closer in. I'd look around (parts of) Falls Church, Annandale, Merrifield (just outside the BWay), South Arlington and Alexandria areas inside the beltway. Housing inside the beltway is considered to be a better investment, more reliable value appreciation and this will only continue as the local traffic continues to increase by about 15% a year (!!!). Outside the beltway, I'd try to look around Fairfax, Germantown, Vienna, Reston, Herndon near the Rt 66 corridor as at least you could have a reasonable bike commute along the W&OD bike trail all the way to Ft Myers- a lot of people do this, pancake flat but a pleasant ride. A great real estate agent can make all the difference in getting what you want- housing here is expensive but (sadly) there continue to be opportunities with short sales and foreclosures. PM me if you want with questions I might be able to help with, including real estate agent suggestions-

ultraman6970
04-15-2011, 03:15 PM
For the record we have two cars, one garage that is so small that not even my wife car fit in there (compact), so we leave the cars in the drive way just like everybody else in the area :P

In nva nobody uses the darn garage for the cars, because usually you have like 10 latinos renting the space hahaha :)

Now seriously, i dont know anybody that park their cars in the garage at all.

ultraman6970
04-15-2011, 03:16 PM
You guys have no store like this one in the area, so probably you would end up joining them :p

You guys do it differently in DC/NOVA huh? When I get together with folks, we take care of business individually before or after, but not during and not together. It must be a cultural phenom, like shaving legs. :D

Best of Like CSI Feller with the move. If you drop the need for a garage, you will find more options I bet.

Cheers

rugbysecondrow
04-15-2011, 03:52 PM
You guys have no store like this one in the area, so probably you would end up joining them :p
True, our establishments have steel welded together, but they are poles not frames. ;)

ultraman6970
04-15-2011, 05:37 PM
Still have to go with Maximus to that place... one of these days.