fully lugged 1" headtube will not be available in the near future. what is
your take on this concern? I woudl realy like your input. could you send me
a close up of the side view of the headtube and top of the fork ? serotta
does not have any in ther web page.

thank you so much.
Anthony

dbrk
02-06-2004, 06:21 PM
If you decide to use a Chris King 1" headset then it is more likely that it will out last you. My 1" headsets on bikes nearly 40 years old can all be easily rebuilt. Basically, this concern should cause you no concern. 1" means you will get lugs. Personally, I think there is no reason paying the premium for the CSi without the lugs. Otherwise, save yerself a bundle and get a CIII, 'cause tubes is tubes. Now if you get a threaded steel fork then you achieve hero status. There have never been, btw, _better_ 1" quill stems than there are right now, to wit, Nitto's Pearl. Obsolete concerns are way, way over played, mostly to get folks to buy into new and "better" technologies.
If you believe that (add "tripe", ed. note), then go with the "better modern" parts. Otherwise just get what you really like and find pleasing, either way.

dbrk

Kevin
02-06-2004, 06:22 PM
I just ordered a CSi last week to compliment my Ottrott ST. I went with the 1 and 1/8 for precisely the same reason. I was afraid that the 1 inch would go the way of the LP, 8 track, Betamax, etc. It is just easier to stick to the industry norm.

Kevin

vaxn8r
02-06-2004, 09:18 PM
I agree with both views.

I put a 1 1/8" on my new Calfee mainly because it's become the "standard" so to speak. So what if I'm trendy?

Having said that I seriously doubt 1" will go away and if it's a Chris King it'll last forever anyway....longer than you'll probably own the bike anyway.:)

I also totally agree about the CSi. If you're not getting lugs why not a CIII? Though I have to say I do love a fillet brazed steel bike maybe even more than lugs.

Ozz
02-07-2004, 08:54 AM
I agree with the others, that if you get a chris king headset, you will never have to worry about replacing it.

I think there are only two reasons for getting the 1" headtube:
1) You want a fully lugged bike
2) You want a steel fork

Both are very valid reasons. But if neither of these are important to you, then you have no reason to go with 1".

I went with a 1.125" head tube cuz I wanted more options to change the fork - as stated previously, it is becoming the new standard.

FWIW - when I first started looking at purchasing a Serotta, I sent them a note to them asking why a 1.125" headtube on the CSI might be a good thing. The response was that in addition to becoming the industry standard (therefore allowing more fork options), that it is theoretically lighter and stiffer.

djg
02-07-2004, 09:11 AM
if you're really nervous about it, invest a hundred bucks in a back-up Chris King headset (maybe 125?). One should last a really long time. Two ... I wish you the best but it's hard to imagine you'll need more. It's not cheap, but if you really prefer the 1" and you're really nervous about future headset availability (I wouldn't be), then this should do it. Given the overall cost of the bike it's not a fortune for peace of mind.

PaulE
02-07-2004, 09:34 AM
but if I were ordering a CSI today I think I would still go for the 1 inch and threaded headset to get the lugs. There are so many 1 inch headset bikes out in the world that I have to believe someone will continue to make replacement headsets for a long, long time. My personal concern is that I have a threaded F1 fork. If that ever goes, then I guess I'll find someone to make me a custom steel fork.

dbrk
02-07-2004, 09:59 AM
Some ten years ago when freewheels were really dying (and there's no particular reason to celebrate them except for sustaining 5/6/7 speed bikes), there was much fuss about availability and could we get this or that...Well, it's ten years later and you can still EASILY find a freewheel in 5, ultra 6 to fit 5, regular 6, or 7 with all sorts of configurations. Phil Wood still makes thread on hubs and they are as good if not better than any other and a Chris King headset or two will last you a veritible lifetime (or likely more than one). We are only endangered when it comes to really dedicated parts, like Campy 8 speed Ergos or something but even those can be made or retrofit with some patience if you simply MUST have them. My point is that obsolescence [sic., sorry about that] should be of nearly no concern to folks. My second point is that dedicated parts have only contributed to our Throw Away culture and that irks me (though I hear the Borg in my ear reminding me that Resistance is FuuuTILE...).

If your F1 fails without you crashing or somehow wrecking the bike, I will personally eat a Serotta cap. And if it does there are plenty of pros who can make a wonderful threaded steel fork, no problem. Everyone relax, it's winter and we worry (me too) about mostly nuthin'...

dbrk

PaulE
02-07-2004, 02:08 PM
Douglas, my worry is one of those winter things, and I know it will only fail due to an accident of some sort, which I hope to avoid. I must be way up on Maslow's (was that his name?) hierarchy with all of my basic needs of safety, shelter, food, clothing, etc. having been met to worry about this!

dnovo
02-07-2004, 03:58 PM
I'm with Douglas on this. If you want a CSi, you want lugs. If not, get the CIII and save a bunch. I suspect that 1" King headsets are not going to be going out of production any time soon, but if you are worried, buy a spare. I was just looking at the headtube (1") and the threaded F1 fork and Chris King headset on the Hors Cat that came home with me today. How can you not look at that and want no lugs and an Aheadset? (See the picture in the Stem thread I posted earlier today.) Beauty is beauty. Dave N.

SPOKE
02-07-2004, 04:07 PM
got my CSi early last year. i went with the 1" head tube with no regrets at all. i also had them build the steel fork. IMO the steel fork is the way to go on the CSi. just enuf road buzz to let the "steel" character shine thru.

Dr. Doofus
02-07-2004, 09:55 PM
The Doc of Ugly Bikes Says:

I and he got the 1 1/8 headtube on the CSi. With the oversize tubes that Ben gave us, cause we want the bike that jumpyjumps when we lay into it, the 1" headtube looks kinda...well...skinny....

We like the Ritchey threadless stems on our lugged bikes. However, that is because he is a tasteless barabarian and "I" is a snivelling lackey that does what he says, so our bikes would make dbrk send up his aloo parantha like a howitzer round. That's ok. Maybe we could catch it and I would be glad to get it as a pre-digested energy snack...Clif Bar baby bird style mmmmmm.....

adavila
02-08-2004, 09:42 AM
Thank you everybody!!!! With everybodys help i have made up my mind about the CSI. I'm going to go with the 1" CSI , fully lugged headtube, KIng headset and the steel tredlesfork. i'll put pictures up when i get it.
thanks a million
anthony