PDA

View Full Version : saddle bag recommendation

bironi
06-06-2005, 12:07 AM
Hello,

I am looking for a good under saddle tool bag, and need some advice. I carry 2 tubes, multi-tool, spoke tool, tire irons. I need a bag that will not trash my shorts, and will fit nicely below a Fizik Aliante.

Any suggestions.

Thanks much

CNY rider
06-06-2005, 08:07 AM
I have a little Specialized bag that I like very much. You can see the models on their website, and pick the right size for you. I have one of the smaller ones and carry tire levers, tube, chain and spoke tools, and a little cash. Fits well on my saddles.

I also had a Pedro's, didn't like it. Bulky, difficult to attach. Avoid.

92degrees
06-06-2005, 08:21 AM
I put a Headlands CMT under the same saddle this year and it's working very well. I like that it has rigid sides and opens fully like a clamshell -- it makes it very easy to access stuff way at the bottom. The medium holds everything you've listed and probably a bit more.

Kevan
06-06-2005, 08:25 AM
http://www.jandd.com/bikes.asp

jwb96
06-06-2005, 09:03 AM
I just picked up a Topeak micro. It has a clip system for the rails rather than straps, which seems like a good idea (if a bit heavier). But the shape - very narrow - helps with the rubbing and it also curves down to attach lower on the seatpost, which seems like a smart design choice. I only fit one tube and a multi tool in there, with a little more room to spare. The small size may work better for you.

I've also heard good things about the Fizik bag, but I think you have to have a specific model for it to work.

bironi
06-06-2005, 11:55 AM
Thanks a bunch. Good suggestions by all.

Ken Robb
06-06-2005, 02:15 PM
I have JAND and Pefromance Transit Expandable wedge. I like the expanding capability--I have a small-medium bag most of the time but can unzip the accordian folds to increase capacity when I want to add a cable lock, jacket, lunch or something. It's also been useful a couple of times when I found something I couldn't wait to buy when I stopped at the LBS on a ride and needed to carry the goodies home.

jbay
06-06-2005, 09:13 PM
I am looking for a good under saddle tool bag, and need some advice.

Yet another option is Arkel's seat bag:

http://www.arkel-od.com/panniers/seat_bag/overview.asp?fl=1&site=

It's rock solid on the bike and waterproof too.

-- John

Jeff N.
06-06-2005, 10:15 PM
TOPEAK! They come in several sizes. Absolutely the best, IMO. Jeff N.

spiderlake
06-06-2005, 10:21 PM
If it helps, I've been very happy with this model:

http://www.jandd.com/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=FMMW

I carry a patch kit though so don't need room for tubes.

Ken Robb
06-06-2005, 11:26 PM
I've never sen arkel but they look great--I still like the expandable feature but I do have a monster Carradice on my Allrounder that hauls verything I need short od a tent for overnighters.

tbushnel
06-06-2005, 11:32 PM
I recently bought a Trek saddle bag that has worked well. IT comes in a number of different sizes. Mine is sort of in the middle.It carries a tube, multitool, tire irons, patch kit easily, and I often have a Light & Motion battery in it as well since I like to ride at night. The other nice thing is that it has a loop of material to which you can clip a blinky light. On my touring bike I never had a problem finding places to attach things, but my road racing frame is another story, which is why I like this feature.
Hope thats helpful.
Ted.
:banana:

Keith A
06-07-2005, 08:50 AM
I'm with Kevan, the Jandd Mini Mountain Wedge (http://www.jandd.com/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=FMMW) is a good one. The only thing I wish it had was something to clip my tail light to.

CalfeeFly
06-07-2005, 09:55 AM
Fizik now mades bags. They are very nice and a variety of sizes from 25 up. I bought one and like it. A web search should find them for you. Plus it will match your seat! :beer:

zap
06-07-2005, 10:06 AM
Freezer bag, Ziplock (TM?), etc. bag and put in middle rear jersey pocket.

No issues with ruined shorts or scuffed seat post.

Ken Robb
06-07-2005, 12:44 PM
I don't like riding with anything in my jersey that could jab me in a fall.

Serotta PETE
06-07-2005, 01:47 PM
Watch which bag you get and how they fit, when you are on the saddle and pedaling. Bags that are too large and rub the inside of your leg will rub holes eventually in the inner thigh section of your shorts.

It can get epensive. The Specialized bad and Pearl bag work the best for my fat legs.

I had some shorts that have the hole on the inside that Sandy now has..... :)

Ti Designs
06-07-2005, 02:23 PM
I run a tubular tire bag. A number of companies make them, what sets them apart from the standard seat bag is the shape. They are long and kinda narrow, so they never get in the way of your legs as you pedal. They do tend to go pretty far down the seat tube. I take two tubes, a patch kit, a folding tool, some tire levers and my wallet - all of which fits with ease.