PDA

View Full Version : Help with aftermarket brakes.

uber
04-12-2011, 04:38 AM
Thanks in advance for your input. My only experience is with Zero Gravity's
replacing Record 10 brakes. Much lighter and better stopping in my experience. Building a new bike and I don't know if there is something better out there in terms of performance and weight savings.

1centaur
04-12-2011, 05:09 AM
My experience is that TRP higher end models stop as well as DA, which to me is the standard. I have 960s and 970SLs and find them perfect, which makes me think the 950s are good too.

AngryScientist
04-12-2011, 06:48 AM
Thanks in advance for your input. My only experience is with Zero Gravity's
replacing Record 10 brakes. Much lighter and better stopping in my experience. Building a new bike and I don't know if there is something better out there in terms of performance and weight savings.

i have to disagree with you on the "better stopping" of ZG brakes compared to record. lighter yes.

i agree with the TRP suggestion, as well as the newest campy skeleton brakes, they work excellently, and the weight penalty for good functional brakes is not too bad.

neiltron
04-12-2011, 08:26 AM
Don't overlook Mavic's SSC brakes. If you really crave good braking feel and modulation, spend the dough and get some non-compressing brake housing. Nokon, Yokozuma, etc. It makes a big difference.

zap
04-12-2011, 08:52 AM
http://fairwheelbikes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=104&t=7582

uber
04-12-2011, 06:29 PM
Many thanks. I am considering Zipp 404 tubulars. Would brake recommendations change based on the wheel choice?.

rice rocket
04-12-2011, 06:36 PM
Don't overlook Mavic's SSC brakes. If you really crave good braking feel and modulation, spend the dough and get some non-compressing brake housing. Nokon, Yokozuma, etc. It makes a big difference.

Neiltron, is there a big difference from a Nokon or Yokozuna, to say a Dura-Ace cable? The Dura-Ace cables aren't specifically called "compressionless", but I don't see Shimano making their top of the line cable some mushy garbage.

Charles M
04-12-2011, 06:42 PM
Many thanks. I am considering Zipp 404 tubulars. Would brake recommendations change based on the wheel choice?.

RE Zero G and Campy, I think the Negative GSL are better than Campy... The Gravitas are very good stoppers too...

Re Wheel choice, It depends on the brakes and wheels.

Ciamillo products you'll want the shallow pad holders for wider wheels. EE Work with everything, Far and Near take wide wheels fine. TRP take wider wheels. The list could go on a bit...

BumbleBeeDave
04-12-2011, 06:52 PM
. . . than DA. Seems like linear response to lever input rather than geometric like DA's. They don't work worse, just a bit different.

BBD

weiwentg
04-12-2011, 09:31 PM
. . . than DA. Seems like linear response to lever input rather than geometric like DA's. They don't work worse, just a bit different.

BBD

I gave up the ZGs because they didn't quite look right on my bike, but yes, they stopped about as well as my Campy 10s brakes overall.

fogrider
04-13-2011, 01:02 AM
zero g brakes look great on the right bike. and yes they work different...one needs to have a little hand strength to pull a little harder than dura ace, but thats called modulation. I think braking power is over rated unless you commute through city streets. I mean racing bikes are meant to go fast and brakes slow you down!

neiltron
04-14-2011, 11:45 AM
Neiltron, is there a big difference from a Nokon or Yokozuna, to say a Dura-Ace cable? The Dura-Ace cables aren't specifically called "compressionless", but I don't see Shimano making their top of the line cable some mushy garbage.

I've never used the Dura Ace cable kits, so I can't comment.

The nice thing about Nokon is the aluminum 'pearls' are reusable.