PDA

View Full Version : Sugoi Bibs

norcalbiker
04-11-2011, 01:15 PM
I am looking into purchasing a pair of Sugoi Bib Shorts and Knickers for my daily ride.

RS Bib Knickers for $99.99
RSE Bib Shorts for $139.99

Anyone here have any experience with these bibs? Also, the price seems to be fair. Any input and comments are appreciated.

TIA

rice rocket
04-11-2011, 01:17 PM
My Sugoi jersey fits like crap, and the material is pretty junk too. I've only ever bought their low end stuff though.

Bonktown is pushing a bunch of Castelli and Giodana bibs. $200-250 bibs for $70-80. I'd wait for those personally.

Competitive Cyclist is also pushing their bib knickers as well in their sale section @ 50%+ off.

flydhest
04-11-2011, 01:21 PM
My team had Sugoi for a couple of seasons. They are fine, but I thought the durability was a bit wanting. The chamois is a matter of personal preference. Some of the guys loved it, some hated it. Hate is a strong word . . . and it was used.

ahumblecycler
04-11-2011, 01:54 PM
I love my Sugoi RS bib shorts; I have used them for 3 years. The last two versions greatly improved the durability of the material, which was my only issue with them. I have owned many, many bib shorts - Assos, GBW, Gio, Castelli, DeMarchi, Descente, PI, and others - and I always come back to my RS. The only short I am loving is Sportful

false_Aest
04-11-2011, 02:05 PM
Team had Sugoi last year.
GF loves them

BUT . . . .

1) stitching around chamois tends to rip a hole in the fabric allowing for a small "peep" show.

2) silicone grippers on the legs start to peel off after ~5 hand washes (yes, we air dry the bibs)

3) i don't like the fabric simply b/c its a little too light... great for 95*F days but otherwise its not supportive like other ones.

4) customer service is non-existent. Really. We've called. emailed. etc. never a response.

I wouldn't buy them again.

WeakRider
04-11-2011, 02:30 PM
The pad on Sugoi RS bibs is great, but I've found that the fit is a little off.

rnhood
04-11-2011, 02:54 PM
I have both the RS and RSE shorts. I like both, a lot. Its mainly the pad that wins my approval as its a supportive pad, all things considered. If you typically suffer from sit bone soreness, the Sugoi shorts (RS and RSE) just may be the ticket. The Gore Xenon is another that incorporates a supportive pad. But they are pricey.

The RSE material is a little smoother and the pad, which is mostly the same as the RS, supposedly breathes a little better than the RS. However, I do not notice any difference in breathability. The material is a little silkier on the RSE, and perhaps feels just a touch smoother on the skin.

The material on both is light, which I prefer since its hot where I typically ride, and the fit can be snug. I don't particularly like compression but this is also subject to preference.

I like the Sugoi better than my Assos Mille but its a pretty good short also, with a decently supportive pad - though not as good as the RS/RSE.

It boils down to preference, like a lot of other items in the cycling venue.

norcalbiker
04-11-2011, 05:30 PM
I think I am going to give it a try. I have been wearing Assos and I really like them, but I thought for those price I'll give it a try.

Thank you for all the reply. :beer:

false_Aest
04-11-2011, 05:36 PM
:D You should just purchase a machine (http://machine-la.blogspot.com) kit.

Scott Shire
04-11-2011, 06:36 PM
I think I am going to give it a try. I have been wearing Assos and I really like them, but I thought for those price I'll give it a try.

If you're coming from Assos (or Rapha, or Panache) I think you'll be disappointed in the Sugoi stuff.

I bought a pair of Sugoi knickers this winter at REI - they were an internet return and were so clearanced out that I couldn't pass. The pad is pretty good, but its placement is a little off for me. The finishing is pretty lousy, especially in terms of stitching, and the fit is just way, way off. YMMV

Bruce K
04-11-2011, 07:39 PM
Our team uses the RS for cross and the RSE for road.

Working on my third season with the RS's and second season with the RSE's.

No gripper issues, no chamois issues, no tearing issues.

I personally prefer the RSE's but the RS's aren't bad either.

BK

ahumblecycler
04-11-2011, 08:05 PM
I disagree about the Assos comment ... I was severely disappointed in the Assos considering the reputation and price.