PDA

View Full Version : Whew! What a Day!

Bruce H.
06-05-2005, 05:32 PM
Another race over for Philadelphia. The crowds seemed to be well behaved in Manyunk on the wall. They swelled to very high numbers. The race was enjoyable.
The day started on a sad note,
Came off the Schuykil expressway and turned left to go across the river and park. When the light turned green for me, I guess I did not "peel" out fast enough for the large SUV coming off from the oppopsite direction. He tried to make a fast right on red to cross the bridge.
Unfortunately, he failed to look to his right figuring there would be no one there. Unfortunately, a fellow was riding his mountain bike against traffic.
Bottom line was a direct "head" on collision. Fortunately, The truck hit his brakes preventing him from driving over the cyclist. Unfortunately the cyclist was not wearing a helmet. He bounced off the truck and face on to the pavement. I ran to him and observed that he was conscious and in pain, but did not appear to have serious damage. Traffic was at a standstill and I had to resume across the bridge. The SUV driver called 911 and I alerted a large contingent of police of the accident on the other side of the bridge.
I hope the young man on the bicycle was alright.
No sooner did I reply about the previous head on in Colo. than this occurred. True the cyclist was on the "wrong" side of the street, but still the driver needed to observe the street prior to moving against the light. (I believe it was legal to make a right turn on red).
Bruce H.