PDA

View Full Version : Ouch!

thwart
04-10-2011, 08:52 PM
Yeah... sometimes it really hurts to not add a bike to the herd.

A lot.

This sold fairly quickly... negotiations with the local accountant weren't completed in time.

http://madison.craigslist.org/bik/2314566715.html

buldogge
04-10-2011, 08:53 PM
Gone already...

What was it?

-Mark in St. Louis

A lot.

This sold fairly quickly... negotiations with the local accountant weren't completed in time.

akelman
04-10-2011, 08:54 PM
Deleted posting, man. You're such a tease. I'm sitting trying to imagine what this might have been. A Peg Respo? Something classic? A googlephonic stereo with a moonrock needle? Something even cooler than that? So, spill!

Aaron O
04-10-2011, 08:56 PM
I try to imagine it was something I wouldn't want...like any French bike ever, a death fork equipped Viscount or gas pipe.

thwart
04-10-2011, 09:05 PM
Sorry, I can still pull it up on my browser.

Surly Long Haul Trucker, 56, $1000.

Beautiful and complete touring bike. Go touring. Commute. Haul stuff around town. All while looking spectacular.

FRAME - Surly Long Haul Trucker. Size 56
FORK - Surly Long Haul Trucker
WHEELS - Mavic A719 Rims, Shimano CT Hubs. Front and rear are both 36 spoke, 2x lacing
HEADSET - Cane Creek Tank II
FRONT DER. - Shimano 105
REAR DER. - Shimano 105 (9 speed)
SHIFTERS - Shimano Bar-ends
Crankset - Sugino XD Crank
BOTTOM BRACKET - Phil Wood
BRAKES - Tektro center pull cantilevers
BRAKE LEVERS - Cane Creek
HANDLEBAR - Nitto Noodle
BAR TAPE - Shellacked cotton (to match saddle)
FRAME PUMP - Silca
REAR RACK - Nitto
FRONT RACK - Jandd
BAGS - Rivendell Baggins Paniers, Seatback, and handlebar bag (All made by Duluth)
I found just the right size boxes that fit inside the panniers and hold their shape.
FENDERS - Honjo stainless steel, hammered
SADDLE - Brooks B-17 Special
SEATPOST- Advent

You can buy a new LHT for $1,000. But it will be full of cheap parts. Every part on this bike is significantly better than what you can get on a new $1,000 version -- plus it has great fenders, racks, and the full set of bags.

Wilkinson4
04-10-2011, 09:08 PM
That's sweet and with bags. Too bad you missed out. Makes me want to take a week and go ride somewhere.

mIKE

oliver1850
04-10-2011, 09:08 PM

akelman
04-10-2011, 09:11 PM
Looks like $1000 worth of racks, fenders and bags.

What he said. Also, that's nice paint and a smart build. Still, I find myself unmoved, as usual, by touring bikes. That kind of riding just isn't realistic for me at the moment. Maybe when the kids get a bit older.

Fixed
04-10-2011, 09:12 PM
nice summer errand bike too
cheers

akelman
04-10-2011, 09:12 PM
I mean, I wish I could take a week to ride my bike down the coast to San Diego. Maybe one of you would like to look after my kids for me while I'm gone?

TMB
04-10-2011, 09:16 PM
I mean, I wish I could take a week to ride my bike down the coast to San Diego. Maybe one of you would like to look after my kids for me while I'm gone?

How can this be a mystery?

A big bowl of fresh water and an open bag of kibbles. Kids are resilient.

rcnute
04-10-2011, 09:18 PM

A lot.

Revisions to your generally accepted accounting practices are in order.

TimmyB
04-10-2011, 09:19 PM
How can this be a mystery?

A big bowl of fresh water and an open bag of kibbles. Kids are resilient.
Parent of the year :hello:

That is the best freaking surly I've ever seen! Somebody scored!

jh_on_the_cape
04-10-2011, 09:44 PM

I did a few bike tours with my parents and siblings in Europe. We rented bikes in the train station at Strasbourg France and put our backpacks on the 'rat traps' and pedaled to Colmar. We looked for Chambres a Louer signs. It was awesome!

That said, I have three young kids and that kind of biking tour is a good 10 years away.

akelman
04-10-2011, 09:54 PM
I did a few bike tours with my parents and siblings in Europe. We rented bikes in the train station at Strasbourg France and put our backpacks on the 'rat traps' and pedaled to Colmar. We looked for Chambres a Louer signs. It was awesome!

That said, I have three young kids and that kind of biking tour is a good 10 years away.

My older boy, who's eight, and I ride together occasionally. He can truck along for thirty miles at a go if the terrain is flat, though that takes us almost three hours, so it's not much of a workout for me (I usually ride thirty miles in like 2.75 hours!). Still, I don't think he'd be game for lugging packs and whatnot. And leaving the little guy, who just turned four, at home with mom is right out. He wouldn't tolerate it. So that would leave me full loaded and pulling a trailer. I'm just not seeing it. Maybe in a few years, but not yet.

130R
04-10-2011, 09:59 PM
yesterday my cousin found a 1987 columbus SLX c-record equipped MINT Scapin in red. in my size COMPLETE for $600

sold to someone else this morning.

also I'm in SLO and the ad was in Sacramento

:crap: :crap: :crap: :crap: :crap:

jh_on_the_cape
04-10-2011, 10:00 PM
My older boy, who's eight, and I ride together occasionally. He can truck along for thirty miles at a go if the terrain is flat, though that takes us almost three hours, so it's not much of a workout for me (I usually ride thirty miles in like 2.75 hours!). Still, I don't think he'd be game for lugging packs and whatnot. And leaving the little guy, who just turned four, at home with mom is right out. He wouldn't tolerate it. So that would leave me full loaded and pulling a trailer. I'm just not seeing it. Maybe in a few years, but not yet.

My oldest is 6. I regularly take him on the bike path. He is riding and his 4 year old sister and 1 year old brother are in the double chariot cougar. If we didn't have the third kid, I would do a weekend out on the island camping. Much like camping in the yard, a 'bike tour' from a little kid is a few miles from home!

Aaron O
04-10-2011, 10:18 PM
yesterday my cousin found a 1987 columbus SLX c-record equipped MINT Scapin in red. in my size COMPLETE for $600

sold to someone else this morning.

also I'm in SLO and the ad was in Sacramento

:crap: :crap: :crap: :crap: :crap:

This might cheer you up...I had an SLX Scapin, about that year, pass through my hands a couple of years ago and it was hands down the sloppiest built Italian I've seen. They totally butchered the paint, the panto was sloppy...just a bike I was happy to see the back side of.