PDA

View Full Version : Open House plans may be derailed.

Bruce K
06-05-2005, 12:15 AM
I really hate doing this, but I am not thinking too clearly at the moment and couldn't think of a better way to get this to the Boston clan and Hypnos.

I got a call about 1 hour ago that my Dad, who live alone in FL has had a stroke. I don't know how bad, it only happened around 10:00PM (it's 1:00AM now).

I am leaving on an early morning flight to West Palm Beach.

If I end up staying there longer than a few days (depends on what has happened, how long he'll be in the hospital, how easily I can get him nursing care, etc.) I obviously won't be going to Saratoga.

If that happens, Climb, Bradford, Larry, have a safe drive.

Hypnos, I'll figure out a way to get the room changed to your name.

If I don't make it back, I have a spot at the DPF dinner that someone will be able to use. I'll try to get onto my Dad's computer and give you guys an update.

Bill Bove, warm up that Colnago (or anything else that size), if you would, please. I think I'm going to need some decompression time.

Right now, I've got to go pack.

BK

Climb01742
06-05-2005, 05:17 AM
bruce,
very very sorry to hear about your dad.
having gone through something similiar a year ago with my mom, i know how tough these first few hours and days can be.
my thoughts are with you.
i hope for the best for your dad.
take care,
climb.

Sandy
06-05-2005, 05:21 AM
Sorry to hear about your dad's illness. You will need to evaluate the situation before you can make any plans.

Please take care of your dad and yourself. Have a safe trip.

Sandy

RABikes2
06-05-2005, 06:29 AM
Bruce,
So sorry about your Dad. When it's possible, please let us know how he is. You all are in my thoughts and prayers. I wish WPB was closer, so we could help in some way.
I'll call later.
RA

Kevin
06-05-2005, 06:41 AM
Bruce,

My thoughts are with you. Good luck.

Kevin

hypnos
06-05-2005, 07:27 AM
Sorry to hear about your father. I hope the stroke was small, and his recovery is complete.

Jeff

Smiley
06-05-2005, 07:29 AM
sorry about the news , I hope your dad recovers to tip top shape . You'll be missed and we'll pray for all to go well . Smiley and Karen

BumbleBeeDave
06-05-2005, 07:42 AM
My dad had a stroke back in January and is now in nursing care, so I can sympathize with your situation. I will be thinking positive thoughts and hoping his stroke was not too serious. At a time like this you are absolutely doing the right thing!!

BBDave

Skrawny
06-05-2005, 11:39 AM
Best wishes to you and your father.

Bruce K
06-05-2005, 12:56 PM
Thanks one and all.

I am sitting in Bill Bove's new shop. VERY NICE.

I have been to the hospital and talked with the staff. Currently Dad has lost most of the use of his right side and has a slight droop to his face. He is very tired but alert. I chatted with him for a bit and he understands everything you say to him but he cannot string together more than about 3 or 4 words without it turning into gibberish.

Dad will be in ICU for several days until they can determine that no more bleeding is going on. Then he will go to a regular room for a few days. At that point he is going to need rehab and we are going to talk about him coming north at least until the rehab is done.

At this point I am hoping that my brother will come down later in the week and I will then return home. If I get home by Thursday, I may still try to get out to Saratoga. I'll keep you all in the loop. Thanks for the support.

BK

Climb01742
06-05-2005, 03:26 PM
bruce,

hope you make it to open house. because that will mean two good things: your dad is on the mend, and we'll all do our best to cheer you up.

here's hoping good thoughts lead to good things.

Len J
06-05-2005, 06:36 PM
and your family.

Hoping for a full recovery.

Keep us posted.

Len

weisan
06-05-2005, 06:55 PM
Bruce-pal....take care buddy, praying for you & "dad".

weisan

Don
06-05-2005, 07:16 PM
I live about a half hour from the W.Palm airport in Boynton Beach. If there's anything I can do for you while you're here, please let me know. I'd be happy to give you home phone and cell phone numbers if you contact me.

Hoping all goes well.

Don Braverman

BumbleBeeDave
06-05-2005, 09:13 PM
. . . Going by my experience last winter, the next few weeks will be very important as far as seeing how much functioning your dad will get back in the affected part of his body. Whatever is going to come back usually does in the few weeks following the stroke.

I will be thinking good thoughts and sending them toward you--so don’t forget to duck.

BBDave

Ginger
06-05-2005, 09:31 PM
Bruce,

Peace.

Hospitals can be tiring places. I hope your dad gets out soon.

Mary Ann

Dekonick
06-05-2005, 11:14 PM
My thoughts and prayers go out to you and your father. Talk to him and touch him - he has lost a part of his real world perception and this can help him.

I hope he makes a full recovery.

Dek.

William
06-06-2005, 05:06 AM
Bruce,

I'm sorry to hear this news. Do what you need to do. Family first, always.

We are wishing you well and sending good thoughts to you and your dad.

William

Serotta PETE
06-06-2005, 07:53 AM
Bruce, my thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. We just lost ,my brother in law two weeks ago to cancer. I am understand the stress this must be placing on you. let me know if there is anything I can do for you AND we have plenty of wine in Saratoga for you;

PETE