PDA

View Full Version : Open pro ceramic

tuscanyswe
04-09-2011, 09:41 AM
I have heard of this problem before but really thought it was very rare. Dident think it would be a problem esp since theres havent been a brakepad touching the rim yet. But the flaking of the ceramic coating is kinda obvious and dident occur untill i rode the wheels. I can peal of the coating with my nail just dragging it along the surface with very very little force.

Abit dissapointing.

Have any of you had ceramics built up recently? please share your experience.

John M
04-09-2011, 09:50 AM
That is disappointing.

I have heard of this, but in a season commuting on rough city streets with lots of bumps on my wheels, I did not have any problems on my ceramics. Maybe some lots got a bad coating job from Mavic.

csm
04-09-2011, 10:24 AM
My tubular version of this still looks like new. I should put those back on something....

tuscanyswe
04-09-2011, 10:27 AM
Glad to hear you have better experiences. That atleast gives me some confidence the replacement rims might hold up better.

I had a pair of ceramics before aswell and they did not have this problem.

Bad batch perhaps but then i wonder if the rims im getting for replacement wont come from the same batch considering same shop same distribution and the demand is probably fairly low. hmmm

BdaGhisallo
04-09-2011, 10:37 AM
I have that on a recent wheelset I got. Some of the coating came off when I was pulling the wheels out of the box! It flakes off from the inner circumference of the braking track. Most of it is bubbly around that edge. Funny thing is that since I mounted them up about two months ago, none of the ceramic has been eroded away or flaked off from braking. I expected it all to come off after my first ride, but I can't see that any has!!

I was quite perplexed, since I have quite a few Reflex ceramic rims of varying vintages, and the ceramic coating on them is rock solid. I don't know what Mavic could have done to make the quality of their product lower. Sure is strange!!

tuscanyswe
04-09-2011, 11:05 AM
I have that on a recent wheelset I got. Some of the coating came off when I was pulling the wheels out of the box! It flakes off from the inner circumference of the braking track. Most of it is bubbly around that edge. Funny thing is that since I mounted them up about two months ago, none of the ceramic has been eroded away or flaked off from braking. I expected it all to come off after my first ride, but I can't see that any has!!

I was quite perplexed, since I have quite a few Reflex ceramic rims of varying vintages, and the ceramic coating on them is rock solid. I don't know what Mavic could have done to make the quality of their product lower. Sure is strange!!

Did you buy those wheels used or new? Im deffinetly using the warrenty on these. They are not suppose to do this. Mine would never hold of for a brakebad as they are and i dident pay double the price for a ceramic coating on the rim only for it to peal before usaging a brake at all. I mean whats teh point of having ceramic if its not even there to do its work + it completly ruins the looks of the rim. Mine to has the bubbly feeling around the edge.

I contacted mavic so lets c what they recommend.

bironi
04-09-2011, 11:06 AM
I have open pro ceramics on my winter fixed gear, with front and back breaks. No problems thru two wet winters. I had them on commuter bikes for years also, with no problems. They wear for a very long time. :beer:

jpw
04-09-2011, 11:06 AM
Not recently, but I have an older OP ceramic and the surface just flaked off the rear wheel very badly. Oddly the front one was fine.
I read that Mavic hasn't always been good at getting the plasma process right and that temperature control was/ still is critical in getting a durable surface finish. Perhaps your rim was under or over cooked.

tuscanyswe
04-09-2011, 11:12 AM
Thats possible. Its actually both front n rear rims. Im sure ill get new rims im just not sure i want to spend cash to have them built up again only to find they are flaking aswell.

Since they showed no sign of this when i got them i wonder if it was the building / riding procedure that made the coating come off from tension or something. Abit weird and annoying.

jpw
04-09-2011, 11:25 AM
For me your post is interesting timing. I've been mulling over the idea of a new set of wheels and the OPC rim is on my list. I dragged the offending rim down from my loft a couple of weeks ago for a reminder of the disappointment. If I was sure it wasn't going to happen again I'd probably press the button, but...once bitten...

04-09-2011, 11:29 AM
This is an ongoing quality control problem that Mavic has with their ceramic coatings. I've seen a few rims that do fine, then a couple months later there's a new batch and they flake. I'd absolutely call Mavic on it as a warranty problem. I called on two different rims at one time and was told it was initiated by a road-hazard hit on the rim that caused the rim to flex and crack the ceramic, but demanded action and they relented. Mavic customer service isn't the best; if you call Mavic technical support, they understand they have inconsistent issues here and will help you.

tuscanyswe
04-09-2011, 11:37 AM
11.4 on the rims you have seen was the problem noticable before you built them up? If so what should i look for when i get the new rims? I believe the bubbly edge could have been there when i got them but there was no flaking untill built n ridden.

BdaGhisallo
04-09-2011, 11:38 AM
Did you buy those wheels used or new? Im deffinetly using the warrenty on these. They are not suppose to do this. Mine would never hold of for a brakebad as they are and i dident pay double the price for a ceramic coating on the rim only for it to peal before usaging a brake at all. I mean whats teh point of having ceramic if its not even there to do its work + it completly ruins the looks of the rim. Mine to has the bubbly feeling around the edge.

I contacted mavic so lets c what they recommend.

They were new rims. I was given the option by the builder to send them back for Mavic to get them and take a look before they agreed that there was a problem. But, with me being in Bermuda, the builder in CO, and Mavic in MA, with the cost and time in transit involved, and with the flaking getting no worse with use, I said f*ck and just kept them as is. My builder has promised to act on it if I choose to do so in the future so I'll see how it goes.

tuscanyswe
04-09-2011, 11:42 AM
They were new rims. I was given the option by the builder to send them back for Mavic to get them and take a look before they agreed that there was a problem. But, with me being in Bermuda, the builder in CO, and Mavic in MA, with the cost and time in transit involved, and with the flaking getting no worse with use, I said f*ck and just kept them as is. My builder has promised to act on it if I choose to do so in the future so I'll see how it goes.

I c, im usually not the kind that want to warrent small issues but these really bothers me and truth be told i bought them alot for the looks. Knowing they SHOULD last a long time just sorta justified paying a premium for the looks :)

steveo
04-14-2011, 01:11 PM
I've just recently purchased a set of OP Ceramics to DT 240s.

I was wondering what are the best brake pads to use with these wheels? I run Ciamillo Negative G brakes.

I see that SwissStop has a "ceramic" pad, but it says it is only compatible with "Linear Pull Cartridges and Canti Cartridges."

It only displays them in their Commuter & Cross sections.

Reference SwissStop (http://www.swissstop.ch/City.aspx)

Will these work with regular road calipers?

I'm open to suggestions, thanks!

tv_vt
04-14-2011, 03:21 PM
I have two sets of Mavic Classics SSC wheels that have Open Pro ceramic rims - had them since 2004 and only one was new then. No problems like this. No wear whatsoever. Bombproof rims so far.

lurpy
04-14-2011, 03:39 PM
I've always used Kool Stop green pads with my ceramic rims.

tuscanyswe
04-14-2011, 04:00 PM
Im getting new rims that should arrive tomorrow or monday. Mavic just said they were faulty and the distributor that sold them said he had seen quite a few of these recently.

Distributor was were easy going and did not even want the faulty rims back, not yet anyways.

Volvo1
04-14-2011, 08:05 PM
Who was the distributor?

tuscanyswe
04-15-2011, 05:33 AM
Im in sweden stockholm and the distrubutor is biketoyz acording to the lbs i bought them at. Did not personally talk to them.

Volvo1
04-15-2011, 08:38 AM
Oh,

I just built up a set with DT Swiss 190's. I'm pretty hard on equipment so I'll see how they do and will report on them as the miles come.