PDA

View Full Version : on topic Chains

1happygirl
04-08-2011, 10:11 PM
I guess this is my last question for this week that I'm allowed. LOL

I tried to search the forum several different ways but was unsuccessful.

Question: If I want to make my chain a color, how do I do it? Can I buy one or what do I do? Thanks.

(either I have to go to work 2morrow or this Friday is uneventful. I'm asking questions & not out and about)=former

PS Only Shimano DA need apply. I'm thinking navy or red.

Louis
04-08-2011, 10:20 PM
I've never heard of anyone changing the color of a chain themselves, other than through use and accumulation of grime and grease.

Chousen One
04-08-2011, 10:24 PM
Not really worth it IMHO, anything like anodizing or PC would wear off. The only thing really worth looking into is TiNi coating, which looks gold, a la kmc x71 (which will work great with your DA 10 sp setup). Titanium Nitride coating is a low friction coating that will wear longer than a normal chain, IIRC they coat the inside of motorcycle engines with it or something like that. Won't wear off like other "coloring" methods would/will. Bling factor is a bonus.

1happygirl
04-08-2011, 10:24 PM
Hahah. Louis, Can I send it out to be powdercoated? Just from my google search I didn't come up with much. Anodizing won't work I guess but it probably would be the best? Even if I did, where would I send it?

oliver1850
04-08-2011, 10:25 PM

1happygirl
04-08-2011, 10:28 PM
Not really worth it IMHO, anything like anodizing or PC would wear off. The only thing really worth looking into is TiNi coating, which looks gold, a la kmc x71 (which will work great with your DA 10 sp setup). Titanium Nitride coating is a low friction coating that will wear longer than a normal chain, IIRC they coat the inside of motorcycle engines with it or something like that. Won't wear off like other "coloring" methods would/will. Bling factor is a bonus.

A little too bling, fer sure. I was composing b4 you sent your reply. Hmmm. Gold wasn't really what I was looking for. I was afraid PC would wear off.
Also, I guess I'm one of the few that would 'wear' it on my bike. If it was in demand, I guess someone would have had a pretty good business going by now.

Louis
04-08-2011, 10:28 PM
Bikes with derailleurs should have chains of only two possible colors: black, or clean shiny silver. Anything else looks to me like you're trying too hard.

Single-speeds are a different matter. There funky-colored chains are OK, since the whole thing is simpler, so jazzing up the chain a bit to add some spice seems potentially more appropriate.

JMO
(just my opinion)

1happygirl
04-08-2011, 10:31 PM
Bikes with derailleurs should have chains of only two possible colors: black, or clean shiny silver. Anything else looks to me like you're trying too hard.

Single-speeds are a different matter. There funky-colored chains are OK, since the whole thing is simpler, so jazzing up the chain a bit to add some spice seems potentially more appropriate.

JMO
(just my opinion)

true I guess "painting my seatpost" will have to suffice. I'll see the thread about painting the crabon seatpost.

martinrjensen
04-08-2011, 10:55 PM
I'm pretty sure that they make colored chains. don't know the quality, probably fine, but maybe not in your size. Most likely Shimano compatible.

Louis
04-08-2011, 11:13 PM
I Googled "colored bicycle chains." Talk about wretched excess...

KMC colored chains (http://lightenupbikes.com/kmc-colored-bicycle-chains.aspx)

http://lightenupbikes.com/images/products/detail/Chainbow.jpg

false_Aest
04-08-2011, 11:25 PM
you get

expensive ti-nitride coated
moderate silver
cheap black.

everything else is for the kids on "chuckers".

that's all.

Kontact
04-09-2011, 10:47 AM
Factory painted chains are good for single speeds, but shifting would take the paint right off them.

My very first bike build, 20+ years ago, had a gold Sedis road chain. I would do that again.

CarlosContreros
04-09-2011, 11:05 AM
I'm thinking navy or red.

Umm??....won't navy or red somewhat "clash" with a pink bike? :crap:

Ok prolly not funny..what color is your bike?

palincss
04-09-2011, 02:09 PM
Colored chains -- what a hideous idea.

130R
04-09-2011, 03:14 PM
http://cdn.dickblick.com/items/014/05/01405-group3ww-l.jpg

knock yourself out

1happygirl
04-09-2011, 04:53 PM
http://cdn.dickblick.com/items/014/05/01405-group3ww-l.jpg

knock yourself out

Hahaha don't think I didn't think that way. Okay okay you guys convinced me it was a noob, dweeb thing to do.

Gold though is TOO much bling for me.
I swear I have seen colored chains on 'show' bikes or 'famous' peeps 'art' bikes and it looked cool. Maybe that's the only place. I wondered how I would keep the color in. Okay I guess I'm getting too excited with my new to me bike coming. Thanks Forum Friends.

palincss
04-09-2011, 05:29 PM
Get a silver chain. It has one enormous, significant advantage over black chains that more than makes up for the cost difference: when you clean a silver chain it actually looks clean; in fact, it looks like jewelry, whereas a black chain looks dirty all the time. You get a psychic reward for cleaning the chain, so you're more likely to do it often -- which, in turn, means it will last longer and your cassette will last longer. And funny thing, even though they're consumables, these days chains and cassettes cost as much as if they were jewelry.

Louis
04-09-2011, 08:50 PM
when you clean a silver chain it actually looks clean

I used to clean my chains. Not any more. One of the huge advantages of switching years ago from While Lightning to ProLink is that I just add more lube. Every now and then, when the chain starts to make more noise I run it though a paper towel a bit. Drip on some ProLink, run it through some more paper towels. Wipe off the chain rings, the R-der jockey wheels and the cassette, and I'm done. No need to break out the chain-bath machine and the degreaser. In my process the chain is not quite as clean as it might be, but I haven't noticed any detrimental side-effects and it saves me a bunch of time.

beer_meister
04-10-2011, 11:08 AM
Okay I guess I'm getting too excited with my new to me bike coming.

Okay 1happyG, I must have been sleeping. Can you remind us/me what the new sled is yah got coming on the freight truck?