PDA

View Full Version : A23 and Hed Bastognes

don compton
04-08-2011, 09:56 PM
I have some handbuilt wheelsets with silver record 10 hubs( 28f,32r) and Velocity A23 rims, and a set of Hed Bastognes, heavy build. I enjoy both wheelsets, but I prefer the forgiving ride of the Velocity A23's. In all fairness, I probably should have ordered the lighter version of the Hed Wheelset because I weigh about 170lbs. I have had no problems with either wheelset and I have ridden them on some really rough roads. I have been using Vredestein Fortezza 700x25's( 75lbs fr, 90lbs r). I have never had a pinch flat. Overall, both wheelsets seem to be "bullet proof". :beer:
Don C.

DRZRM
04-08-2011, 10:54 PM
I have two sets of 32 hole black record 10 hubs laced to HED C2 Belgiums and I really like them. If you ever want to trade in those Clydesdale Bastognes towards a lighter setup, drop me a PM. Always looking for a good deal on a set of these.

don compton
04-08-2011, 10:59 PM
I would be interested in a trade if the Campy hubs were the silver, record 10sp hubs with aluminum axles.

Waldo
04-09-2011, 12:48 AM
I had Ardennes and now ride A23s with White Industries hubs. Switched from Ardennes because I was having a devil of a time installing tires. Maybe a bad set of rims, but I'm having no such problems with A23s.

Bruce K
04-09-2011, 04:45 AM
Interesting.

I always had a tough time mounting older HED wheels but the newer C2s are mcuh easier.

On the other hand the harder to mount the less likely of them ever poppong off the rim. :rolleyes:

BK

DRZRM
04-09-2011, 06:17 AM
Nope, all black (hubs, nipples, spokes, rims) as god intended. Well, PM me if you ever plan on selling them so you can pick up a lighter pair. I am a full on Clysdedale and always thought that build made sense.

I would be interested in a trade if the Campy hubs were the silver, record 10sp hubs with aluminum axles.

noonan1970
04-09-2011, 08:36 AM
I just bought a set of Hed c2 Belgiums with a 24/28 spoke count and red r45 king hubs. Pretty excited to ride them this year. I've been reading great reviews on the ride quality. I mounted Grand Prix 4000s' on them. Makes the 23 look more like a 25. Only one ride so far and they feel really nice. The a23"s are about 40 grams lighter per rim but the Heds look sweet. Black rims, Black sapim x ray spokes and red nipples. I think mine weigh in at 1520 grams. I weigh 165ish.

Also, saw that a few more rim manufacturers are jumping on the wider rim profile. Saw this in the Velonews Paris Roubaix news.

oldpotatoe
04-09-2011, 10:42 AM

I have a pair of 2006 Record hubs, silver, 28h front and back..new

if anybody is interested.

peter@vecchios.com

feta99
04-09-2011, 11:24 AM
I just rebuilt my commuter wheels with HED Bastogne C2 rims and I feel like the ride is a LOT better, using the same tires. I am very impressed and highly recommend it to clincher riders.

Now, does anyone have experience with C2 tubular alloy rims? And would anyone recommend them as a replacement for my beloved, old and getting tired, Campy Neutron tubulars?

echelon_john
04-09-2011, 11:40 AM
I've built a few sets of the C2 tubulars for customers but haven't ridden them personally. One thing I've noticed is that the rim profile of the C2 tubular is much more suited to road tubies--even big ones, like the 27mm FMB Paris-Roubaixs--than the Velocity Major Tom, which has a shallower arc to the rim bed and is more suited to a 32+ 'cross tubular.

feta99
04-09-2011, 12:15 PM
I've built a few sets of the C2 tubulars for customers but haven't ridden them personally. One thing I've noticed is that the rim profile of the C2 tubular is much more suited to road tubies--even big ones, like the 27mm FMB Paris-Roubaixs--than the Velocity Major Tom, which has a shallower arc to the rim bed and is more suited to a 32+ 'cross tubular.

Thanks, that is good to know because I've considered the Major Tom's but have heard that they are built mostly for cross tubular. I was thinking of that exact setup, 25 or 27mm FMB PRs with alloy tubulars.

oldpotatoe
04-09-2011, 12:27 PM
I just rebuilt my commuter wheels with HED Bastogne C2 rims and I feel like the ride is a LOT better, using the same tires. I am very impressed and highly recommend it to clincher riders.

Now, does anyone have experience with C2 tubular alloy rims? And would anyone recommend them as a replacement for my beloved, old and getting tired, Campy Neutron tubulars?

I have built a few sets of Major Toms, then used Conti Sprinters or Vittoria CX..REALLY nice rim, like the A-23..well made, not expensive.

echelon_john
04-09-2011, 01:20 PM
I agree that the Major Toms are nice, as are the A23. I have found the finish quality on the HEDs to be a little better; but the Velocitys are 90% as well finished for about 50% of the price.

I just noticed when mounting road tubies on Major Toms that there tended to be a little gap between the base tape and the rim on the edges, where the diameter of the tire/casing was smaller than the implied diameter of the tire bed on the rim. Still plenty well glued, but I like the C2s better for road tires.

Both are great in their places.