PDA

View Full Version : OT Calling All MAC Daddy's & Mommies

1happygirl
04-08-2011, 07:07 PM
All you Mac/Apple users:

Hey, what service/company do you use for off-site backup? Which one works better and seamlessly integrates with your computer? Does it seem safe?
Anybody use Dropbox or Carbonite, etc. ?

Thanks in advance.

Bob Loblaw
04-08-2011, 08:36 PM
Not really on topic, but I just use Time Machine and a local drive. Offsite adds a measure of additional data insurance, but Time Machine is really awesome (as you probably already know) and drives are cheap.

1happygirl
04-08-2011, 09:26 PM
Bob, you're always gracious!

Yep, I need/want something off-site too as I have it backed up with CCC (carbon copy cloner) and a pocket hard drive but want another layer of security. thanks.

jbrainin
04-08-2011, 10:11 PM
Drives fail too often, especially when you actually need the data on them. A proper RAID is necessary if you care about your data. Offsite backup is also important in case of household catastrophes. Dropbox or me.com work just fine.

scrubadub
04-09-2011, 12:25 AM
I use multiple different layers due to paranoia.

1. I store my main documents using Dropbox giving me quick off-site backups and versioning.

2. My main machine is backed up over a network to using Time Machine.

3. All of our household machines (including my main one) are backed up over a network to an old Mac running Crashplan (and Time Machine). I also set my mother and sister's machines (who don't live with us) to backup to this server.

4. On a weekly basis, I clone the Crashplan server disk and take it off-site to my office. I have two disks and rotate so that one is always at the office.

5. Finally, I clone my main machine's laptop using SuperDuper (same as CCC) to a hard disk on a weekly basis.

I will probably combine #2-4 into a family Crashplan at some point soon since cloning the server is tedious if pretty easy. The key to backup is transparency. I think that's why Dropbox rocks as a first pass system.

1happygirl
04-09-2011, 06:26 AM
I use multiple different layers due to paranoia.

1. I store my main documents using Dropbox giving me quick off-site backups and versioning.
ok. thx. Dropbox a more secure, easy integration with Mac than Carbonite?

BillG
04-09-2011, 08:08 AM
I use Time Machine on local storage, which works really well, and I put a lot of important files on Dropbox as well. It makes it much easier to access them from multiple computers.

haneriali
04-09-2011, 09:36 AM
In addition to TimeMachine (to a TimeCapsule) locally; MobileMe and LiveMesh for files we access remotely; our major off-site storage is via Mozy. We also use Mozy for a Windows 7 PC.

scrubadub
04-09-2011, 09:51 AM
ok. thx. Dropbox a more secure, easy integration with Mac than Carbonite?

Haven't tried Carbonite but I think it's like Crashplan. Both probably run in the background. But Dropbox is in a category of its own in terms of transparency and ease of use. You just put folders in, it backs them up and syncs them to other computers. Very elegant.

sc53
04-09-2011, 01:24 PM
Happy, if you have a MobileMe subscription ($99 per year) you have access to offsite backup through that service. Not sure how many GB it is, but I use that for Quicken backups and Time Machine for Quicken and everything else.

rugbysecondrow
04-09-2011, 02:06 PM
Thanks for the tips, very timely Happy Girl.

Cheers