PDA

View Full Version : Steel vs Carbon

ridemoreoften
04-08-2011, 03:14 PM
Hi,
Realize this is a Serotta site (I've riden a CIII for the past 7-8 years), but I'd like to tap into some of the bike expertise regarding Specialized Sworks SL3 or Cervelo RS (frameset only). Both are in my budget and I'm wondering if anyone has any experience good or bad with these frames. I know I'm going to take some heckling for asking, but what the heck.

firerescuefin
04-08-2011, 03:18 PM
"Mama says Carbon Fiber is ridden by the devil" - Bobby Boucher

Both bikes are good bikes, very similar. Any chance you can demo either/both.

Scott Shire
04-08-2011, 04:00 PM
Tough to compare.

The S-Works is a dedicated, full-on race-geometry speed machine. It's crazy light but also really stiff. One of the very few non-lugged plastic bikes I've ridden that made me want to plunk down cash on the spot.

I have not ridden the RS, but it is more of a plush/endurance frame. Not to say that it isn't superfast, but the taller ht and longer wheelbase vs the SL3 will give what I'd think would be a very different feel.

Even with a serious bro-deal, these are spendy bikes to buy without riding. If you have to make the call without a demo, I think it comes down to the following 3 questions...

1) Which looks better to you? Both are great bikes from companies with extensive cutting-edge R&D in these very bikes, so you can't really go wrong
2) Will you ride the Specialized with a mile-high stack of spacers beneath the stem? If so, get the Cervelo? :p
3) Are they similarly priced? The Specialized retails for ~$1k more iirc.

FlashUNC
04-08-2011, 09:17 PM
FWIW, I've never seen a bad review of either frame.

TAW
04-08-2011, 09:36 PM
I have the Specialized SL3 and I've been impressed with it. It is pretty stiff, but rides decently. I also had a steel Serotta (CSI) for a while, and also a variety of other bikes. If you can get a deal on it, it would be worth having.

rnhood
04-08-2011, 09:38 PM
I have an SL3 Tarmac and, with DA 7850 wheels its among the best bikes I've ever owned, or ridden. Its comfortable, stiff, agile, and exudes a very "connected to the road" feel. A pleasure to ride. I like it better than any metal bike I've owned or ridden - but this is likely preference. Your mileage may vary.

I've ridden the RS and its a nice bike with a suitably comfortable ride but the front end doesn't quite have that direct and connected feel of the Tarmac. The front end of the SL3 just feels stiffer to me. I'm not sure its as laterally stiff overall either. But it does ride pretty nice. Its also priced pretty well.

The carbon - metal debate will seemingly go on for eternity. My suggestion is to ride one or more of the newer carbon bikes - like the SL3 and RS. If you like steel better, then stick with it. If you like the carbon, then you will likely never go back.

zap
04-09-2011, 07:33 AM
Both are stock bikes. Take them out for a spin on familiar roads. You know what your looking for better than your digital mates.

Bob Ross
04-10-2011, 07:47 AM
The carbon - metal debate will seemingly go on for eternity. My suggestion is to ride one or more of the newer carbon bikes - like the SL3 and RS. If you like steel better, then stick with it. If you like the carbon, then you will likely never go back.

That last sentence strikes me as an odd conclusion...or at least, antithetical to my experiences. I love my carbon bike. I love my steel bike. I could happily ride either one for perpetuity...but, so long as I have both, I can't imagine ever not wanting to enjoy going back and forth between them.

firerescuefin
04-10-2011, 08:07 AM
It's especially funny when a lot of people on this board have both and are very happy to go back and forth riding them. The "either or" argument is tired.

Charles M
04-10-2011, 10:57 AM
OP:

I'm wondering why you're limiting your choices to these two fairly similar bikes.

What is it that you want?

The Tarmac rides a little smoother (But isnt among the smoothest bikes) and the handling is a bit more stable but not at all slow. They're both pretty quick steering.

The BS material generalizations could fly unless you tell people more about what's leading you to your choices... And if your current bike is custom, it will be pretty impossible to comment on how it will compare to the other bikes you're looking at.

This doesnt at all sound like a material versus thread. It's a model of bike question thread, which could actually be half way informative if the title gets ignored...

again, what are you looking for in your next bike? handling, smoth, stiff, etc, what is it you put the bigger priority on, where do you ride and what kind of riding do you do?

DHallerman
04-10-2011, 02:35 PM
It's especially funny when a lot of people on this board have both and are very happy to go back and forth riding them. The "either or" argument is tired.

And then there's the all-of-the-above situation.

Like today, when I did my first ride on new build-up of a Seven Odonata that I bought on this message board.

But this is the Odonata frame that mixes steel for the down tube, head tube, top tube, and chainstays with carbon for the seat tube and seat stays, as well as a carbon fork.

Only one ride, but I like it.

Dave, who always does a short and limited ride the first one or two times he takes one of his newly built-up bikes out for a ride