PDA

View Full Version : Brain 1, Catlike 0... one hell of a helmet

Scott Shire
04-08-2011, 01:25 PM
A great score atmo. One more testimonial for Catlike...

Riding to work yesterday ~8am. Well rested, clear/dry day. Moving pretty damn good, speed-wise. I honestly don't know exactly what happened. The back end came around, I over-corrected (I guess?) and I went down HARD.

My head hit after my hip, but the impact was LOUD. I picked myself up and got on the sidewalk to check everything out. Road rash and bruising on hip, blood from ankle and elbow. The helmet looked like there was a pretty good scratch on the outside. Closer inspection revealed it cracked all the way through. :eek: I'll try to post pix later, but cracks were dispersed over a much larger area than the impact mark on the helmet's shell, leading me to believe that Catlike's CES (crash energy splitter) technology works exactly as advertised.

My hip hurts a bunch, my head not at all. My doctor says I'm not right in the head, but that this mishap has nothing to do with it.

I am convinced it would have been really, really bad without the Catlike. I'll be ordering a new Whisper Plus today -- I wonder if I can still score a free Serotta Cycling Cap? :p

I'm glad to be safe and alive in one piece to ride again today. And my backup Spanish helmet (http://www.spiuk.com/ing/site/producto-ficha.asp?id=461) will do in the meanwhile!

vqdriver
04-08-2011, 01:29 PM
good to hear it worked as designed and that you came out ok.

i'd be interested in pics. where was the impact, side, back, front?

Charles M
04-08-2011, 01:42 PM
Mine looked like a guy with a shotgun said "pull!" and I tossed it up for him...

Not a scratch on my head and no concussion after the wreck...

Scott Shire
04-08-2011, 01:47 PM
Impact was on my left side about an inch behind my (full, luscious) hairline halfway between eye and ear.

My hip hurt so bad (and still does) -- my head, not a bit.

fourflys
04-08-2011, 01:49 PM
very cool, I had the same experience with my Lazer helmet a couple months ago...

BTW- glad to hear you're OK! :banana:

melonyogloo
04-08-2011, 01:59 PM
Went down a year ago wearing my Giro Atmos. Helmet cracked in several places buy my head was okay. Never leave home without my helmet!

RPS
04-08-2011, 04:58 PM
My hip hurt so bad (and still does) -- my head, not a bit.
You make a good case for wearing hip pads. ;) Maybe elbow pads too.

Glad you're OK.

avalonracing
04-08-2011, 05:51 PM
Glad you are okay. But are you sure that your brain is alright? You seem to be using the term "atmo" which is so 2009.

Scott Shire
04-08-2011, 05:53 PM
Actually bought "CARS" ensemble of elbow and knee pads, protective gloves, and sunglasses for my cousin's son's 4th birthday last month. He is finally agreeing to sleep without the shades, but the pads stay on 24/7. Smart kid. (Hey his dad is an actual rocket scientist.)

1happygirl
04-08-2011, 06:51 PM
Hey glad yr ok!!!! cool review of the cat.

Call cat customer service? New helmet in exchange for your story& pix on an ad?

chuckroast
04-08-2011, 07:02 PM
Good story. I've managed to break three helmets and didn't mind throwing them away one bit.

How old are you? The thing that bugs me is (as I get older) how long the joint pain lingers, in my hip or ribs or shoulder when I have a crash.

Scott Shire
04-08-2011, 07:25 PM
@AvalonRacing: :D :D I've been spending too much time on PDXfixed, apparently -- those kids have brought atmo back in a big way.

@1happygirl: I like the way you think. It's worth a shot - at least until someone agrees to givee me a free Serotta cycling cap with my order ;)

@chuckroast: I'm 32 and I (thank goodness) still recover pretty quickly. I can't drink worth a damn anymore, though.

thendenjeck
04-08-2011, 07:38 PM
i have a catlike too. unfortunately I decided not to wear it one day last fall and ended up with a bleeding brain. no helmet day == bike wreck day. fast forward to now and i hit the exact spot again on a shelf a few days ago and have had bad vertigo, nausea, and exhaustion (same as when i first hit it) since Monday.

wear your helmet kids! everytime you go out!

Fixed
04-08-2011, 07:47 PM
[QUOTE=Scott Shire]Impact was on my left side about an inch behind my (full, luscious) hairline halfway between eye and ear.

it is always the left side isn't it?
another reason to wear a helmet even the best riders fall
cheers i am glad you are almost ok